RE: Closing of the thread?

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
WOW!
What is going on here?
I wanted to post about what was essentially njgt's incorrect assumption about"Guy Love", who has been a nasty presence on lpsg when folks don't buy his version of things,and I find that you, have had it locked Mindseye?!!
Since when is outing someone a reason to close a thread?
Hypolimnas,and Novice bottom correctly identified him,but that is somehow a problem?
WTF? I don't think I have ever seen a thread closed this fast.
Geez!:mad:
cigarbabe:saevilw:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cigarbabe,

The guy's trying to make a clean break and turn around on here, which I appreciate. He didn't deny his past accounts or try to be deceptive about it in the thread.

Do you really think that letting the townsfolk with pitchforks continue to run through the thread would improve the thread? Was there anything new to be said?

I'll reopen the thread if there's something worth contributing to it, but I thought locking the thread was a gentler solution than deleting messages and sending warnings.

As for the quickness of the decision -- I'll take the responsibility for that. We began discussing the thread yesterday, and had not yet reached a majority consensus, but there were new posts to the thread this morning including the "FAKE! CREEP! TROLL!" post, so I went ahead and intervened so that the thread wouldn't continue to escalate.

I'll admit, the guy could benefit from making his "compliments" a little less "Herbert", but I hope we can find a way to encourage that constructively instead of branding him for life.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Did you take good vacation this year? I hope I will be able to go somewhere in December. Maybe, I'll go back to Florida. I wanted to go to SF but I might recognize someone from here. I'd eat fast, give a tip to the waiter, and say wait 3 minutes until I am gone and give them this note. oooooo

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I hardly think that my posting had a pitchfork in hand. An incomplete/inaccurate "history" was given, I clarified, and dropped it. I suppose I could've skipped commenting at all, but as Hypo said, since the question was asked (two full pages before I answered), if it's going to be answered, it should at least be done accurately (no offense, nj).

Up until I posted, and since, I've actually been following the thread, otherwise uninvolved. While Guy seems to think that I'm "stalking" him, I have to admit that what it really comes down to is that about half of his topic titles just catch my eye, because they're a subject that I'm interested in also (c'mon, I'm pretty blatant in my flirting with burnsie, and I'm sure I've put at least one drooling comment in andyo's gallery). If they were written by anyone else, I'd still be in those same threads. This also means that with the other half of what he writes, I never even enter the thread.

Yes, I'm not too fond. Yes, I know he's one of the ID'd in my sig. Save the keystrokes. It doesn't mean that I'm on a restless quest, sniffing at his every move. People can read those post histories, and are free to disagree with me, as many have. Ooo, I just thought of something. Maybe my sig is dangerous because I hold some deep manipulative sway here, and all of the members are hanging on my every word. Bwahahaha! :rolleyes:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Honestly, you weren't singled out here. There were a number of folks who were commenting on this. If this were something involving you specifically as a member, you'd have been contacted privately, and I wouldn't be discussing it here. (Or haven't you seen the brouhaharrhea du jour?)

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Honestly, you weren't singled out here...
While that may be obvious to you, I'm not sure that it necessarily is to everyone, and I'm not keen on being "clique"-ified, considered one of the "jackals", etc. :wink:

mindseye said:
...(Or haven't you seen the brouhaharrhea du jour?)
There's only ONE??? :tongue:
(Sorry, I shouldn't be joking about that, at a time like this,:redface: but honestly, I can't narrow it down, and probably no reason too.)

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought locking the thread was a gentler solution than deleting messages and sending warnings.
Ok then I can see what you were trying to do. I said what I had to say and have nothing more to add. Actually after my post I don't think that there is anything that could be more direct, inflammatory or escalating.

I'll admit, the guy could benefit from making his "compliments" a little less "Herbert", but I hope we can find a way to encourage that constructively instead of branding him for life.

Mmmmm if someone asks the question "isn't this guy a troll?" then I would have thought you would have an opportunity to give an explanation of your feelings like everyone else. The OP also has the chance to say "yes I have behaved oddly in the past and I am improving myself and prepared to be accountable if I stray."

I feel if your reflections posted here could have been added to the discussion, then probably the whole thing would have ended as an agree to disagree. I haven't used the word troll for ages and have shown that once I have made a point I can let it go. If I have been persistent to the point of offending others in the past, then a comment from you at the time might have been helpful.

By closing the thread it draws attention to it in some ways don't you think? It raises a question. When all threads are perceived by you to get to a point where you feel nothing constructive can be added will they also be closed? The relationship between intention and effective execution doesn't seem to be quite right, especially as the way this was done now appears to be part of a wider problem of "heavy handedness" in the minds of some.

I don't question your right to act by the way and I appreciate your explanations here.

Still where people have trolling behaviour I would still expect it to be called what it is, and re-iterate that it is not acceptable. Harassment is not acceptable either. A couple of posts from me, the first one moderate and informative, no pms, and no endless repetition etc, doesn't seem to fit the category of harassment. In my view I was speaking the truth according to my perceptions in response to a question.

Recently I reported a thread and tried to make the point that what seems to be happening is that the really disruptive and offensive people here (and I think there is a consensus about who some of them are) seem to be getting all the consideration, and people who, on balance, have a lot to contribute are apparently "behaving badly". I hope this perception will change.

By the way I don't belong to a clique, but I do remember when Novice was having a hard time here. I was one of those people who didn't get involved because I didn't take it seriously. After a while when things got really bad I was very upset because I was the one fooling around and joking, thinking that that it would all blow over.

When do I get my hug then?

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Cigarbabe,

The guy's trying to make a clean break and turn around on here, which I appreciate. He didn't deny his past accounts or try to be deceptive about it in the thread.

Do you really think that letting the townsfolk with pitchforks continue to run through the thread would improve the thread? Was there anything new to be said?

I'll reopen the thread if there's something worth contributing to it, but I thought locking the thread was a gentler solution than deleting messages and sending warnings.

As for the quickness of the decision -- I'll take the responsibility for that. We began discussing the thread yesterday, and had not yet reached a majority consensus, but there were new posts to the thread this morning including the "FAKE! CREEP! TROLL!" post, so I went ahead and intervened so that the thread wouldn't continue to escalate.

Can DMW come back?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
By closing the thread it draws attention to it in some ways don't you think? It raises a question. When all threads are perceived by you to get to a point where you feel nothing constructive can be added will they also be closed? The relationship between intention and effective execution doesn't seem to be quite right, especially as the way this was done now appears to be part of a wider problem of "heavy handedness" in the minds of some.

There's a lot in this paragraph to respond to, so I hope you don't mind my skipping straight to it.

You ask, "By closing the thread it draws attention to it in some ways don't you think?" And you're right -- the "closed thread" icon is practically a magnet for people who are curious what the fuss is about. On the other hand, a closed thread can't be bumped back up to the top, which allows the thread to disappear to page 2 more quickly. It's my preferred way to deal with threads that look like they're developing into personal attacks, as it interrupts the attack without censoring any of the participants.

You also ask, "When all threads are perceived by you to get to a point where you feel nothing constructive can be added will they also be closed?" Of course not -- most threads run their course and fade away naturally. It was my perception that the thread had the potential to become explosive and/or hurtful as other members in timezones where they were just waking up logged in and added on to the bandwagon.

Finally, you say that my actions may be perceived as heavy-handed. I've come to accept on here that there are a few members who will support me no matter what, slightly more members who will oppose me no matter what, and a large "movable middle" that decide these things on a case by case basis. For them, I've already made the offer a few posts back to re-open the thread if someone feels strongly about contributing to it, and I hope they'll regard that offer as fair.

When do I get my hug then?

You're the first to ask. *hugs*

Can DMW come back?

I'm strongly opposed to letting him back (and that's an understatement), and if the question ever comes to a vote among the moderators, I'd vote against it. But I've promised not to stand in the way if a majority were to vote for it.

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for intervening on this.

I have to comment on the Herbert thing. I am less than a decade older than these two guys. Further, I can't really be seen in that light when these guys are of-age and have their penises hanging out (complete with cum shots) with everyone to see. Am I supposed to pretend that these young men haven't presented themselves in a completely sexualized context? Herbert, on the other hand, is an old man who sexualizes little boys (under age) who are not supposed to be sexualized, who are fully clothed. If Herbert were to make about young boys the comments I've made about andyo and burns1de, he'd be arrested; if Andyo and burns1de fucked me up the ass, it would be fine -- because we're all of-age.

The result of this is that I'm going to do exactly what they have accused me of doing: go in to hiding. I'm going to start yet another account under a different name and not reveal my past identity. By the way, I never changed names in the past as a means of hiding my past (as you have noted, I've never denied my past on this forum), but simply because I no longer liked the user names. They no longer reflected who I feel myself to be. Now, because of their harassment, that's exactly what I'm going to do: hide my past.

The irony is that these guys who have accused me of being a troll, but THEY are the trolls because all they do is follow me around and ruin and sabotage every thread I start. I haven't bothered them at all since our fight a while ago. I don't know what their problems are. All I can recall is that they are anti-intellectuals who are threatened by my previous comments about a continuum in sexuality. I can't really recall much about what I ever did to anger these guys so much ... largely because I don't care. It's over. In the past. I've let go of it. It's for their own benefit that they do the same.

But now I have to go and start another account, without revealing my past username/persona -- because their fanatical behavior has given me no other choice. It's either I do this or I leave the forum completely. They don't have the right to make me leave the forum.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lots of people who were considered trolls go on to become really good members of a site, I never considered Guy particularly trollish, I felt he had some good points to put over but then became a little fractious when people didn't get what he meant and from there it would build up into a flame war type of thing. As far as I see he didn't do anything we should lynch him for, most people deserve a second chance.

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dude -- not cool.

I have no other choice. Am I supposed to just take their abuse? I cannot say or do anything on this forum without this group of six or so people popping in and calling me a troll. Any rational person would just do what I'm thinking is the only thing I can do: change my name, hide my past, so as to avoid abuse.

If you don't think this is the route I should take, then give me a reason to not think this. Let them know that they can't do this anymore. If you can assure me that you can make them stop, then I won't change my name and hide my identity. But I don't think I need to pay for the rest of my life for having pissed this group off a few months ago.

Thanks.

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
With regard to the label "troll," I understand that a troll is someone who enters an online community with the intention of disrupting discussions. This was never my intention.

What happened was that I attempted to discuss topics that were sensitive, and when people assumed that I wanted to discuss those topics merely as a means of upsetting others -- THEN I got upset.

I will note the the behavior of certain other people actually does fit the definition of trollish. Certain other people entered the tread I started with the pure intention of disrupting it. THAT is trollish behavior.

Lots of people who were considered trolls go on to become really good members of a site, I never considered Guy particularly trollish, I felt he had some good points to put over but then became a little fractious when people didn't get what he meant and from there it would build up into a flame war type of thing. As far as I see he didn't do anything we should lynch him for, most people deserve a second chance.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know the only thing to do when you're stuck with the label of being a troll is to wait it out guy, to be calm and thoughtful, people soon forget you were ever a naughty boy :) Everyone on the net puts a foot wrong now and then, for a while we're the black sheep then another one comes along and we're ok again.

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
By the way, let me add that they came in to the thread with the intention of "warning" others about my past "behavior." May I ask ... why? What is the use in that? Anyone interested in seeing my past comments on this forum can just click on my username and scroll through the logs on this forum. Anyone interested in my past behavior can find it for themselves.