Re-examination of the budget cuts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_JuanAFock, Apr 14, 2011.

1. D_JuanAFock

D_JuanAFock New Member

Philip Greenspun's Weblog

Saw it recently and had to laugh at how ridiculous it is.

2. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    So you've been laughing for the past decade, then?

Or, all of a sudden it's all so important?

3. D_JuanAFock

D_JuanAFock New Member

I am laughing because I have never put it into that perspective

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

There are many parts to things like the budget and the deficit that the mass majority of Americans simply don't know or choose not to care about. Yet those same people would be the first ones on the front lines yelling about "taxes", "entitlements" "spending" whenever any discussion about the economy comes up.

5. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    And, as in the example above, these same people would pursue "fiscal responsibility" by targeting insignificant expenses like the cable bill instead of tackling the major spending issues that necessitated all of the borrowing in the first place.

Here's a hint for the "budget conscious": Slash the big expenses first, then address the minor ones if there's still room for improvement; otherwise, you're just being "penny wise, pound foolish."

6. maxcok

Gold Member

It's even worse than that. The Teabaggers and Republicants are pushing an ideological agenda [e.g., cutting Planned Parenthood, the EPA, public broadcasting, funding for the arts and humanities, etc., etc.,... all of it a pittance] under the phony guise of being "fiscally" responsible. The amount they were squabbling over in the recent budget showdown, while threatening a government shutdown and subsequent major hit to the economy, equals less than half of one percent of the total budget. Meanwhile, they continue to propose bigger tax cuts, which means less revenue, and ended up funding the Pentagon with 5 billion more than they asked for.

It's all so fuking transparent and obvious. :rolleyes2:

7. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    Yes, but now they can say "we saved you money, taxpayers," and people will fall for it. It doesn't matter that the amount is insignificant to the overall budget; to the average taxpayer, $38 billion sounds like a lot of money.

Need to shave a few trillion off the budget? I've got two wars that I didn't ask for, that aren't achieving their stated goals, and that I really don't need any more. Can I return them for a refund?

8. parr

parr New Member

Max, I hope these cuts don't include the seniors and thier benefits. In
    3 more years I will be eligible for S.S. and two more tears medicare.

9. maxcok

Gold Member

Actually, the budget plan being advanced by Paul Ryan and the Republicans would essentially privatize Medicare, and perhaps Social Security too if they have their way. The net effect would be to substantially decrease the amount of coverage relative to rising healthcare costs and future inflation. However, if such a plan were enacted it theoretically would not affect anyone currently on the plan(s) or close to eligibility, but it would be phased in for people now in their early 50's. I predict these proposals will not be acceptable to the American people if/when they become aware of the effects. Of course, it all depends on how the debate is presented and covered in the media.

I also predict we are on the verge of much rancor and division within the Republicant/Teabag coalition, between the new upstarts and the old guard. To say Speaker Boehner has his hands full is an understatement. Don't be surprised to see fractures beginning to manifest in coming months and a challenge to his leadership before year's end. The Republicans have created a monster in their big circus tent, and it will be interesting and entertaining to watch them try to deal with it.

10. parr

parr New Member

If I read you right, i'm getting a raw deal.

11. maxcok

Gold Member

Well not unless these proposals or some compromised versions pass and are enacted. The new budget debate just started in earnest yesterday, and there's a long way to go. Obama's thrown down the gauntlet with his own budget proposals to counter the Ryan/Republican plan, and so far he's indicated the opposition approach is unacceptable, on these points at least. He's even calling for an end to the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy. They were supposed to expire the end of last year, but he bowed to Republican pressure allowing them to continue through 2012. We'll have to wait and see if he takes a back seat and capitulates again, or if he stays engaged in shaping the debate this time and sticks to his guns.

One can still (guardedly) hope he'll lead for a change.

12. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Great Quote --- the Raw Deal offsets the "New" Deal!!

Draft saved Draft deleted