re-opening a program after it has quit.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a computer question. I have music composing software that occasionally quits on me. I can not reopen it unless I restart the computer. It seems like it must still be open somehow and therefor won't let me reopen it. Is there a way to fix this without having to restart the computer. I'm on windows xp.

Thanks.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Way HickBoy described solving your issue, is pretty much what I have done to fix faults with Firefox before.

To pull up task manager, open it via Control Panel, or press ESC + CTRL + SHIFT together.

Following screen dumps will show you a general idea, where to look, so you can deal with this issue with Sibelius, but using Firefox as an EG.

Also, I would suggest downloading / installing CCleaner, and do a registry scan, and get it to fix any faults you may have, as it can also deal with this problem with Sibelius not shutting down right.

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Attachments

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was going to say what Hickboy already said. Not sure what operating system you're using, but hit ctrl + alt + del and go to the "Processes" tab. See if you can scroll through there and find the .exe for your music program and End Process on it. Then try to reopen the program.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm sure you will get the proper advice here to sort out your situation. I make my living as a musician. I use Logic Pro and the best advice I can give is...get a Mac :tongue:

Normally I would view such comments with disdain etc, pretty much like those who say Linux is not affected by viruses etc (Which is complete crap BTW), but even I know, for any audio or video work, you can not beat a Mac there, as software support is so much better.

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Normally I would view such comments with disdain etc, pretty much like those who say Linux is not affected by viruses etc (Which is complete crap BTW), but even I know, for any audio or video work, you can not beat a Mac there, as software support is so much better.
Hope that our WinHelp qualified members as Snakey. Rikter or Pecker et.al may surface to assist with these Novaboy issues,
:up:

Last edited:

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm sure you will get the proper advice here to sort out your situation. I make my living as a musician. I use Logic Pro and the best advice I can give is...get a Mac :tongue:

I use Sonar for recording and Sibelius for creating sheet music/composing.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I use Sonar for recording and Sibelius for creating sheet music/composing.
A program such as the one you are using will consume a vast amount of your computers resources when running. Most of your memory is being utilized. If something else is running or other tasks are being done it may stop working. Nothing should be running on your computer when you are using this program. If i use Nero to burn a dvd it will consume a great deal of my memory. This is normal. I know not to do other things on my computer or the dvd wont burn right. So i have no open windows or browsers or any other program running when i use it. Defragment and do disc clean up also.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It seems to quit if I turn on my piano keyboard while the program is running. It likes it to already be on when I start up Sibelius. I find Sibelius to be more user friendly than finale and the help forum is excellent. Really fast responses.