Reaching orgasm when on Anti-depressants

pdsover

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have been on zoloft for three weeks now and still get rock hard but cannot cum with ALOT of effort!! How long will this last once I am weaned off it, does anyone know?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have been on zoloft for three weeks now and still get rock hard but cannot cum with ALOT of effort!! How long will this last once I am weaned off it, does anyone know?

I only took Zoloft for maybe 6 weeks back in 1999. I didn't have to be weaned off. It didn't work for my depression, so they put me on Prozac which killed my desire for sex almost completely. :mad: Then I did Lexapro which brought back the desire for sex; but it took forever to cum. :irked: Then came Wellbutrin which made me agitated depressed and I wanted to claw my skin off. It took 1.5 weeks to work up to the 'right' dose and 2 weeks to wean me off of it, grrrr. :12: Then came the magic elixir, Effexor XR. :smile: It not only got me out of bed, I got back my sex drive and ability to orgasm. I know some people hate it but it works for me and that's all I care about. :cool:

jltucker1984

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am on a generic of Lexapro 20 mg (Citalopram 40 mg) and at first my sexual desires were stiffled, but gradually they did return; now I could screw a pole with a face on it... LOL - Just kidding.

My Primary Care Physician and my Allergy doctor consulted with each other and upped the dosage because they felt it would suit me better. I suffered from depression and migraine headaches... I would never have thought this could help with migraines, but they explained what this type of medication does to help the brain.

I tryed to stop taking it one time (without consulting my doctor) DO NOT DO THAT. I tryed for about two weeks and it felt like I had an inner ear infection and my equilibrium was just going crazy. I was always dizzy and stumbling around... I felt drunk and did not like it.

JT

DQSundae

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Zoloft treated my anxiety pretty well, but I couldn't finish the race once I started. I knew the Zoloft must be working cause I didn't freak out about it. My doc took me off it and I was back to normal in no time. For anxiety, I take Xanax, good old Xanax, it's cheap and gives me a nice chill

tj0129

Just Browsing
Media
I've tried counselling on and off all my life and it never helps, all they do is relay what I tell them back to me which isn't helpful because I think about it enough anyway. I have never seen a psychiatrist, they're meant to be a pain to get hold of in the UK.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such troubles. I've also had trouble with depression for a long time and have seen psychotherapists on and off for 15 years. I've seen a lot of different therapists over the years, some of whom I thought were nice, but didn't know there stuff enough to help me, while others were just idiots. Luckily, I think I may have finally found one that is very smart, grounded, kind, and I think he even practices what he preaches. He's not just a cold mirror that bounces every question and comment back, but genuinely cares about me and his other clients.

Because of a lack of progress he suggested I talk to a psychiatrist about drugs. I tried a few one at a time (the most popular ones mentioned on this thread) which didn't help appreciably and left me with the same side effect - difficulty cumming (and decreased libido). The latest one I tried was Cymbalta and after giving it a try and realizing it wasn't helping much I tried to go off (with Dr. approval), with terrible withdrawal symptoms (bad enough to keep me home from work) - which the psychiatrist (not my therapist) seemed totally oblivious of. :mad: I eventually got off it and right now I'm still in therapy but without any drugs (though I'm also in group therapy which is another option you might try).

I hope you keep trying with psychotherapy there's got to be someone out there that can help you. As for the drugs all I can suggest is that you try to weigh the benefits against the side effects (after talking to you Dr.) and use that to decide whether to stay on them.
Good luck.
Ask if you need help.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Oh... How I'd like to help you with your effort...

My experiences over the years vary with different medications. Celexia was probably the worst. I could NEVER cum while on that medication.
Im on a mix of Lamictal to level my ups and downs out, and Pristiq to keep me up, rather than down. Its ok... but my stomach sure doesnt like it.

Keep in mind...not all anxiety/depression is chemical. Sometimes living situations cause these, and they go away when those inputs are removed.

But yes...generally meds for these symptoms can be a PITA.
C

missbec

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Its all in the mind really.. i am against such foreign substances entering my body.. I guess im just strong willed. I did however, have a parnter with chronic bipolar and ADHD.

He gave into the drugs in the end and made himself believe he was more depressed than i personally belive he was.

The drugs had something to do with that.

Life will better with age as does wine.

then again... sometimes it doesnt.

pdsover

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey
I have had the blood tests to rule out anything organic, its just a short term assistance for therapy.... thanks to all for the suggestions and telling me your experiences..

Mojoman

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I took lexapro for about a 6 month period, while I was going through some tuff times a few years ago. It did not effect my erection but it took about 3 times
Longer to orgasam not all bad.

Last edited:
D

deleted278588

I've been on generic lexipro for about 2 months. It does take me longer to cum but that is normally a good thing. I'm taking it for depression but my doctor said its prescribed for premature ejaculation as well.

I don't notice any sexual side effects

danjs584

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I took Celexa and when I took Effexor I couldn't get off from sex. I could get off from masturbation but it took a while of pretty vigorous work. Once I did reach orgasm it was pretty amazing though lol. I take Wellbutrin now and don't have any issue getting off; I actually cum faster than I did without anti-depressants.