Read-----Ponder-------Answer-----Discuss

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Picture a dence dark empty forest, deep within the centre of the forest an over laiden brach creeks SNAPS and CRASHES to the ground. during this even(?) is there any sound to be heard ???

Yes. Other than the laughter regarding Pecker's "empty forest" comment, a shriek was emitted from the proof reader who forgot to spell check your post.
I believe he was called Brach. :biggrin1:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
OK, so far I've gleaned that to answer the original question I will require the following:

1. Some LSD (Pecker is LDS, close, but no cigar.)

2. Long division to discover the geo-positional place and time that Smartalk and Pecker will meet over an empty forest (probably some stretch of clear-cutting in Iceland sometime in the afternoon . . . on a Friday, maybe).

3. A handful of aspirin for Midlifebear's anticipated migraine. (I hate long division.)

4. A means of detecting SINE waves from above the empty forest.

Optional equipment: loom wool and one of my coveted Jefferson Aeroplane album vinyl originals.

Gimme a second.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If no one (not noone damnit!!) is there to observe the tree falling, there is no sound. When the branch falls, it sets up a shock wave in the in the air. This wave or vibration is absolutely silent. For sound to exist, the waves must impact a reciever. In this case a human ear. The ear has an eardrum which vibrates and the inner ear converts the vibrations into electrical impulses, which are transmitted to the brain, where they are are translated and conceptualized into what we call "sounds".

Everywhere "out there" is silent. Sound only exists in our heads!

The same holds true for light. Photons are absolutely dark. It's only when they reflect off an object and are received by the eye and translated by the biocomputer in my head that I can conceive them as light. The universe is completely dark.

The voices inside Nick's head are every bit as much sound as the branch falling. They just have a different source.

Any other questions Grasshopper?

:tongue:

Last edited:

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh Vince glasschopper, you are indeed a wise and noble being, the way your mind works and percives things is far greater than any percieved under the influence of LSD or any other mind bending substance.

As for Pecker he is to fucking wise for his own good.............give you top marks thought have to admit I did PMSL. Anymore wise cracks like that Pecker I will have to report you to yourself. got that.

Anyone else care to make a sensible contribution.

This is what I like about this site we can be serious but also laugh at ourselves as well as each other.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here's the main problem; Empty screams ambiguity. You can't possibly mean no other trees besides that one, because then it wouldn't be a forest. Now, if you meant empty as in devoid of animals, who knows.

Getting to your answer, Like Jason els has pointed out, sound is always present regardless of witnesses.

Also, bear in mind that a forest full of trees will muffle out some sound to a degree so that a person outside of the forest will hear some of it.

Likewise, consider the landscape as well. If the forest is surrounded by a hollow or mountain, the noise will bounce off and be heard very distinctively and clearly.

If no one (not noone damnit!!) is there to observe the tree falling, there is no sound. When the branch falls, it sets up a shock wave in the in the air. This wave or vibration is absolutely silent. For sound to exist, the waves must impact a reciever. In this case a human ear. The ear has an eardrum which vibrates and the inner ear converts the vibrations into electrical impulses, which are transmitted to the brain, where they are are translated and conceptualized into what we call "sounds".

Everywhere "out there" is silent. Sound only exists in our heads!

The same holds true for light. Photons are absolutely dark. It's only when they reflect off an object and are received by the eye and translated by the biocomputer in my head that I can conceive them as light. The universe is completely dark.

The voices inside Nick's head are every bit as much sound as the branch falling. They just have a different source.

Any other questions Grasshopper?

:tongue:

I like your answer best.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

Here I see JustAsking reply to this thread and get very excited expecting some profound bit of overlooked wisdom and instead I get a movie slogan:grumble:.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK OK OK you wise and wonderful people, when I said empty forest I meant no living person present within the forest. Gee you try add some intellect to the site and you get shot to pieces. Will I bother to post another wonderful awe inspiring intellectually stimulating, mind enhancing scientific challenge....................you got it. ........YES.

It was well worth the laugh it caused. I challenge anyone to come up with a better one I through down the gauntlet.

PS I ran the spell check this time

PPS No I have not taken any form of mind bending drug, never have, nor ever will