Reagan on the U.S. 10 Bill?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by mindseye@Jun 18 2004, 04:44 PM

Incidentally, I found the following political cartoon to be pretty good at summing up both his strength and his liabilities:

http://www.buzzflash.com/anderson/04/06/and04025.html
Amen to that. It was a good summation of a lot of Reagan's legacy that Republicans would rather ignore.

I never bought into Reagan's so-called sunny optimism either. It was just more marketing. I thought it was every bit as phony and contrived as Bill Clinton's weepy "I feel your pain" schtick.

SG

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Jun 8 2004, 10:19 PM
...US coins are made of a copper/nickel alloy except for the penny, which is made of copper-plated zinc; and the Sacajawea dollar, which is made of magnesium.
The Sacajawea dollar is not made of magnesium. Magnesium (chemical symbol Mg), particularly if pure and not an alloy, is a very reactive metal, quite unsuited for making coins. In particular, pure Magnesium is easilly ignited, and burns very violently and very hot. As a pure metal, it was formerly used in flashbulbs, and continues to be used in signal flares and fireworks. It is also subject to corrosion unacceptable in specie.

The cladding of the Sacajawea dollar is actually made of a brass alloy, 77% copper, 12% zinc, 7% manganese, and 4% nickel. Note that the element in question is manganese (chemical symbol Mn), not magnesium. The cladding is applied over a copper core. Including the cladding and core, the overal metalic content of the coin is 88.5% copper, 6.0% zinc, 3.5% manganese, and 2% nickel.

For more information on this new coin, see http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/golden...en_dollar_specs

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by nlatimer@Jun 18 2004, 04:49 PM
Christopher Columbus' strength was not as a sailor, but as a marketer.
And ask any engineer what they think of marketing.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Jun 11 2004, 05:26 AM

Honestly, the only two countries to successfully deny genocide are the US and Turkey. (The Turks steadfastly deny what they did to Armenians during WWI.)
...and Australians. Tasmanian aborigines were hunted for sport, and made extinct as a race. And the current Australian prime minister refuses to do as so many aboriginal groups have asked...to say "sorry" on behalf fo the nation.

I'm pleased to say, though, that he's in a dwindling minority.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by nlatimer@Jun 18 2004, 08:49 PM
With due respect, maybe you should do a bit more research before choosing your heroes -- instead of letting the media choose them for you.

And this coming from you guys, telling me not to let the media choose the issues, that's irony.
I'm not "guys". There's just one of me, thankfully. No conspiracy was involved in the production of that post. If you still find it ironic that I said it, you're more than welcome to enlighten me as to why.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
What's funny about it is, the American media, since it's run by corporations, is full of neocons. Did you expect anything different?

Here's something from BBC about the war in Iraq that I found veddy intelestink

BRMSTN69: did I mention I hate politics, Reagans era ended 20yrs ago time is better spent worrying about the assholes in Washington right now than dewelling in the past.

tracksuitboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by nlatimer@Jun 19 2004, 01:49 AM
He was still the greatest President of the last century despite his shortcomings. His accomplishments easily overshadow those shortcomings.
And this from someone who admits he was 4 years old when Ronnie Ray-gun left office. Wow, you must have some memory.

As a considerably older person, I can assure you that it was no fun having that c**t in the White House. Never in my life have I been made so aware of the treat of nuclear war as when Ronnie was the Guv (I was only 8 during the Cuban missile crisis and have no recollection of it, just as you have no recollection of Ronnie and have - by definition - formed an opinion of him through a post-Ray-gun retrospective).

As a gay man, I do tend to be rather single-issue when it comes to judging anyone in office. The fact is that Ronnie Ray-gun hated gays and did nothing to help stem the-then rising AIDS epidemic. Interestingly enough, that mad cow Thatcher - who, as I am sure you know, was all buddy buddy with Ray-gun - also hated gays and did nothing to stem the rise of AIDS in the UK. With luck the old bitch will kick the bucket soon too. Good riddance to the c**ts.

TSB re-reads this post and decides that next time he won't stay on the fence so much ... .

tracksuitboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by The-Bigger-the-Better@Jun 21 2004, 12:51 PM
Ironic the man that nearly bankrupt the US with Reagnomics may be on the $10.00 bill.
The present incumbent is likely to do the same.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, the Bushies base their policies on Reagan, and those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. So once again our country takes a spin on the perpetual motion machine.