Reaganomics???

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slurper_la, Sep 25, 2010.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

A lot of us on both sides of the aisle knew this was going to happen when the series of tax cuts were being passed. The tax cuts rammed through while the nation was still in the emotional daze of 9/11 is a huge part of why I left the Republican Party.

3. sargon20

Gold Member

Regrettably most Americans will never do the math and figure that out, too worried about Lindsey Lohan's in and out of jail drama (it was 'breaking news' two days ago) :rolleyes: And those who know better could care less because they're in it for the spoils not the country.

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

Reaganomics has been such and utter complete failure I'm amazed that anyone can defend Reagan's economic philosophy with an honest and intelligent conscience. I suppose the reason the Republican't's Elephant never forgets is because it never learned in the first place.

5. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

The entire article is asinine, foolish, amateur and ignorant. You want to use the peak year after an unprecedented bubble as a yardstick to compare ensuing years - including the following 3 of which were recessionary economic environments...that's ridiculous.

And what in the hell does national income have to do with capital gains and dividend cuts? Those cuts created demand for securities and capital investment and expansion - they aren't designed to 'lift national income' in the short term. They are designed to provide capital to companies in order to stay in business and thrive and expand.

Jibberish and maybe you could hoodwink a freshman in high school with this guy's simpleton rant. It is clear he doesn't have a clue.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You stay away from the board for so long and what do you do on your return? You create an extremely ignorant rant. Instead of talking partisan smack, why don't you come up with your own statistical and numerical facts on the subject matter and then we can talk about the relevance of this article. Otherwise, shut up.

7. sargon20

Gold Member

And exporting jobs to China and India. They are to be congratulated for returning value to their shareholders while screwing the country, sending more dollars abroad.

One state is fighting:

Indian IT majors fume at Ohio's outsourcing ban

#7 sargon20, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  8. maxcok

Gold Member

Well, well, well. Welcome back, doll. I had hoped that during your sabbatical you might be reflecting on the failed economics of your self-serving corporatist economic heroes and hitching your financial wagon to a new star. I see you're as enlightened as ever on these matters. I suppose some things will never change. Just don't start crying when they drag us all down the drain into the economic sewer, you and your portfolio included.

Oh VB, you may as well ask for the moon from the Star. You do know that the only "economist" our dear Starbrite has ever quoted was Christopher Chantrill, while referring in the same breath to preemininent Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz, as "a wacko mad scientist with an agenda". Mr. Stiglitz was of course one of the few voices loudly calling into the wind trying to warn us all of the crash of '08, which "nobody saw coming", and is most recently author of Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy.

p.s. I think "gibberish" is spelled with a 'g'.
    .......(more links available upon request, doll.) :wink:

#8 maxcok, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  9. houtx48

Gold Member

Why is it weeks, months go by and you never hear out of face queen or star the transvestor then they both show up at the same time? Curious.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's still good to challenge them, regardless if we already know or can predict the outcome. And you know why. :biggrin1:

11. sargon20

Gold Member

Sometimes it's so obvious it's utterly laughable. And they get away with it every time. You won't see this on FoxFauxFixed News:

Senate GOP blocks bill that would promote less outsourcing

"The best thing Congress can do for Americans right now is lower - not raise - the cost of creating good jobs," said Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.).

(The jobs just won't be in America)

12. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    GHWBush was actually very prescient in his use of the term "Voodoo Economics": we're still dealing with the zombie of a long-discredited economic theory that just won't seem to die.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Don't you just love how Mitch McConnell says how Senate Democrats trying to push the bill "was an insult to the millions of Americans who want us to focus on jobs"? When millions of people in this country actually lost their jobs due to the very practice this bill would have regulated?

14. maxcok

Gold Member

Republican rhetoric = "Newspeak". Paging George Orwell, paging George Orwell.

15. cdunstan1

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, the 2001 tax cuts were signed in June.

CNN.com - $1.35 trillion tax cut becomes law - June 7, 2001

16. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^Wrong tax cut. Try again.

17. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

If we lived in a world where people did the "right thing", Reaganomics would have worked. Sadly, in order to "work" this kind of thinking must have 100% cooperation from 100% pf the parties participating.

The concept was that we reward the most financially wealthy including major corporations showering them with gifts of tax cuts and in exchange these individuals and corporations are supposed to take all their windfall and good fortune and re-invest this "good fortune" into new jobs, new infrastructure and spread the wealth downwards from their lofty positions.

The sad part of this was this was not in fact what happened. The doctrines of this kind of thinking made the very rich far richer, the poor far poorer and moved a great deal of the middle class into lower income levels.

There was a time I was a registered Republican. I am surprisingly conservative in most areas, but, what I have seen over the last 30 years is an evolution within the Republican Party away from true conservatism into a realm which makes the worst of the liberal movements of the later 1960's look like good common sense (which they were not)

For many Decades at many levels of government we have heard that cutting of taxes is always good and spending money is not. At the same time we hear very little about the various people extolling the most conservative of views requesting independent audits as to where the funds or monies of the past have gone.

Conservatives drone on with Tax and Spend as their mantra. What seems strange is that in the last five decades most of the biggest tax increases took place in Republican Administrations nationwide. Ronald Reagan as Governor of the State of California radically increased taxes in order to try and fix a budget disaster. Reagan did it again in the Presidency, and so did George Bush I. It was in fact the famous line "Read my lips....no new taxes!" that was one of the largest contributors to costing him the Presidency.

Sadly, Reaganomics in a Utopian and fair world could be a good thing. It is a shame that we do not live in that world.

We most admit now that the top 10% of America with regards to income be it private or corporate only wants rewards for themselves and they want to take away even a subsistence living from those on lower rungs of the income ladder if necessary to get it.

Because of this, we are all being subjected to political campaign advertising that has virtually zero substance and is all based on personal attack, innuendo, and partial information represented as complete.

From what I can see the financial conservatism talked about constantly by the Republican party appears to be a failure. If financial conservatism was such a glowing success and was working so very well, one would wonder why this country has reached the level of problems that it has.

I am not advocating wonton spending, but, somewhere the main thing that needs to take place are not claims of beneficial budget cuts, but instead, independent audits showing where money is going and where the financial mismanagement lies.

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

Finally, someone with an accurate memory of US economic history -- or maybe FuzzyKen is a young thing who understands factual history.

Yes, audit the Hell out of government spending. I'm interested in knowing what happened to the 10 billion dollars that disappeared and still is unaccounted for in the last care package to rebuild Iraq.

And now I'm hungry for some won tons. :smile:

19. sargon20

Gold Member

They want a return to the robber baron days. They want a return to the Lochner Era. They want no protections for workers or the environment. They want the elimination of frivolous lawsuits (aka tort reform) that might constrain the quest for money and power. The government is to be used purely as tool to further and protect their wealth at the expense of all else.

#19 sargon20, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted