Real shorts returning

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by arkfarmbear, May 22, 2011.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

The Wall Street Journal reports that the current piece of apparel called shorts are on the way out and classic shorts are returning. I, for one, can't see it soon enough.

2. parchissi

Gold Member

Thats good news - I will now be back in fashion again - glad I never got rid of my originals.

3. GeorgeTSLC

GeorgeTSLC Member

Could you give us a link to the WSJ story? Or even the headline? Because when I search on
    "Wall Street Journal" "classic shorts"
    I get mostly pieces about film!

4. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Interested and have tried to find the article...but no success.
    Can you help?

I wonder what they are calling "classic shorts"...what era, style, male, female, etc.
    I believe there are different kinds of shorts....ie. dress and informal shorts, hiking and walking, tennis, track and running, and basketball shorts...and then there are those Bermuda shorts.
    .:shrug ????

The "classic shorts" I would like to see return would be those of the 1950's-1960's.

#4 silvertriumph2, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  5. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
    Verified:
    Photo
    I hope that the booty choker shorts that men wore with headbands and wristbands aren't coming back in style. I don't know, was that the 70s or 80s? First of all, like speedos, not all men can pull this look off.

6. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

I would like to see board shorts go back to the length they were in the mid 80s instead of these things that hang down to a guy's knees.

7. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
  8. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've always been one to say "Screw fashion!" and wear what I want. That''s why I've worn shorter length mesh gym shorts to the beach instead of board shorts for many years. They're great in the water and dry quickly, too.

9. D_Ernest Porknine

D_Ernest Porknine New Member

I don't understand why people even consider today's shorts as shorts, they are more like high water pants. I think it must be because all the guys in the gym just work out their chest a nd bis and never their legs, as a result they have nothing to show off. I am damn proud of my wheels and like to show them off but it is very hard to find shorts that are above the knee, especially if you're a short guy like me.

10. GeorgeTSLC

GeorgeTSLC Member

"Booty choker"?? I've just Googled that, which establishes it's not your invention, but certainly not a common phrase.

ANYway, no fear of that! The illustration with the article shows fairly loose-fitting suits, not the "crotch-grazing" norm of earlier basketball shorts, etc. The guy from Parke & Ronen says that "it was a culture shock when we [merely] went above the knee" and the article acknowledges that "midthigh shorts are still not the norm"

11. GeorgeTSLC

GeorgeTSLC Member

As for the homoerotic effect the article mentions: The slide show accompanying the article reminds me of a discovery that delighted me in my youth. At one time, men's swimwear could have a front panel rising from the waist of the shorts with narrow straps at the shoulders plus two or three across the otherwise bare back.

Way daring compared to the preceding or contemporary Keystone Kop period.

12. fowfer

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    If they are not at least 2 inches above the knees, I will not wear them. I prefer a 3 to 6 inch inseam but they are very hard to find. I usually cut off or hem up to get what I want.

fow

13. D_Skippy_Skidmarx

D_Skippy_Skidmarx New Member

It's about time.

14. carter2006

Gold Member

Albums:
    Seriously? That boardie style is still "normal" in America? Wow... why?!

15. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I have never understood the long to the knee and below length for "board" shorts, for it seems that the extra material...when wet...would be heavy and impede freedom of movement and balance...however, I have never surfed..so what do I know? The skin tight wet suits of today seem more appropriate for the sport.

The longer length of Bermuda shorts on the other hand, which are usually knee, or just above in length...and are usually more of dressy type of shorts...which is a normal and fitting length.

Mid thigh, or higher, for sports "shorts" and swim "trunks" are ok...but a lower leg length is unattractive, and clumsy looking. When younger and I was participating in sports, the freedom of movement and especially in the legs and crotch area, was important. The high leg cut, with short crotch seam, of the basketball and track trunks of the 1950' and 1960's gave the freedom of movement that was needed, and was attractive, and, ...well,...uh....sexy, too. The women...and a lot of men...loved it!

And, "short shorts?" Love them....but only on females and men who have the bod and booty for it...

#15 silvertriumph2, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  16. InsaneJester

InsaneJester New Member

Albums:
    Agreed, i figured they were talking about the short shorts like they wore in basketball, that length anyways.

And I cringe whenever I see someone wearing a speedo, because normally its the 300 hairy guy.

17. xmarksbreakdownx

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't wear shorts unless I'm at the beach, or playing a sport that requires it. Even then my shorts come TO my knees, but not pass them. So... this is... good? I guess.

18. ges

ges Member

Albums:
    Isn't it amazing that people actually get paid to write that sort of article?
    And that they think others are interested!

19. unzipped

Gold Member

Albums:
    the baggy long shorts developed from so many guy's fears of any junk showing.... or the mushroom head possibly poking out the hem... or as a revolt from the nut strangling shorties of yester years?? just sayin...

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I owned the short-short look from the late 70s (teen years) through the mid-lateish 80s (sleazy club look, worn with big, steel-toes boots), and have always hated the "long short", though they were part of my standard wardrobe for more mixed social occasions from the mid-late 80s on.

They started out as Bermuda shorts and just ket getting longer and baggier, until they went below the knee sometime in the 90s. I remember threatening to bring back short-shorts in 2004-05 to be met with hoots and sneers of derision, but have seen them make a comeback in the last 2-3 years (very slowly, beginning with the fetish/avant garde fashion communities).

Though I never had much of a booty, I've always had (and still, to a degree continue to have) killer, muscular legs. Here's a moldy oldie of a look I call my "RollerGirl" period in 1978, when I was 18. Compare them to my legs in my gallery and you'll see: they're still there.

Draft saved Draft deleted