Real women, Real Voices

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Oct 19, 2009.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some thing I've been thinking about as of late people keep telling me to listen to Lady Gaga. The name alone made me not want to listen to her. People keep kvelling about people I couldn't possibly care about like Rhianna and other contemporary singers. Not only are they not singers they...I don't know.
    I'm gone lay on your table now a woman who is a singer. She used her own voice, no overlays on tracks, no f'n w/her pitch. A real singer. A genius and a beautiful model of doing it all. Linda Ronstadt.
    From her early days in folk she got noticed for her strong and powerful voice..

Linda and johnny Cash

It wasn't long after that when Liinda was w/the Stone Ponies they appeared on a Bobby Darin Special.
    At this point Linda evidently got booked on every tv show in the world. Her star was def. rising as this Andy Williams show attests.
    After that and going solo Linda had an endless stream of hits...

You're No Good
    When Will I Be Loved
    Blue Bayou

Alot of her hits were covers of 50's and 60's songs that really got a new breath into them from her versions. She appeared on the cover of rolling Stone and every major rock periodical. She could do no wrong....until Mad love came around....that was her 'new wave' album.

Girls Talk

Linda took endless flack for makiing that album. Despite her great versions of other popular singers of the day. Yet more covers were there: Hurts So Bad.

After that affair Linda seemed to disappear for awhile and then came back BRILLIANTLY w/a new idea.
    Linda the ever brilliant artist rethought her whle life and recordings and hooked up w/Nelson Riddle or a 3 lp collection, and the packaging was beautiful, of older classic songs.
    That brilliant collaboration produced What's New the first lp
    and other great songs like Someone To Watch Over Me or For Sentimental Reasons....
    Linda got some flack b/c the last two of the trilogy were kinda dark. But it;s a brilliant pairing of her voice and the song stylings of mr. Riddle. Round Midnight
    After that Linda had her Grammy wiining records and then some w/Dolly and EmmySue.
    And then she did some of my favorite recordings of hers...the Spanish language Canciones Di Me Padre. I don't know word one of spanish but I love her series of theses cd's. It was even a Broadway show! She returned to her mexican roots and produced another 3 cds.
    Is there another woman in pop music who can claim the same? And do it all so brilliantly? I don't think so. Long live real women with real voices!

And lastly some Lush Life

#1 HellsKitchenmanNYC, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    If anyone is interested in a Christmas present for me it would be the Linda box set!

3. Principessa

Gold Member

I LOVED Linda Ronstadt back in the day. :smile: The album cover with her in knee high striped tube socks and roller skates pops into mind. Her album of lullabys is one of my faves. I keep a few tracks on my iPod shuffle to listen to as I go to sleep.

Lady Gaga is a shrill harpie at best. Kudos to her costume and marketing people though.

4. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I like Lady Gaga! But I also like Linda Ronstadt. Go figure. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted