Reality Television

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Martin van Burden, Dec 29, 2004.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I was a Real World faithful for a few seasons, and it stopped being worthwhile after New Orleans.... well, even before then. I enjoy Miami and Boston and that was that. I'm bored senseless now. Nothing on the hundred plus channels of my TV set, and worse of all, I managed to stop my remote on a stupid WB show called "Big Man on Campus."

Think "The Bachelor," college style. A bunch of ditzes at UCF pick some turkey -- and ironically enough, Mr. BMOC is from Kentucky -- to be their Big Man, only to find out -- surprise! -- that he's going to pick one of the as his Big Lady.

Seriously, I feel my IQ plummeting.

2. Imported

Gold Member

Kazon: I agree. Not just so called Reality T.V. , but most T.V. makes you feel as if you have completely destroyed valuable brain cells. All of the stations are so you do not feel cheated when the bill comes...a lot of nothing for something.

Now here is something worth watching inbetween a game or show

3. madame_zora

Gold Member

Nice pic, Kazon.

I moved a few months ago and one of the changes I made to my new living quarters was that I decided not to get cable. Reality shows make my asshole pucker, and the only thing I found myself watching was the gameshow network reruns of Match Game! Now that I've seen every season again (several times), I feel I no longer need to watch tv again- ever! I have rabbit ears so I can see the news now and then, and vcrs and dvd players a-plenty. I like being able to choose what I put before my eyes, and when.

4. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Hi Dee,

It has been a LONG time babe...

Unfortunately that is what our society is becoming... polarized with reality tv. I seldom what TV, as my work schedule and other jobs are to demanding (I suppose that might be a good thing). When I do have "free time," I read or find something else to occupy my mind.

It is sad that Americans are becoming so dependant on tv for entertainment. Sadly it is showing up in all human aspects of our lives (academia, socially, emotionally, spiritually, etc.) which is causing us to become less vigilant in more important areas. If I had to watch reality tv, I would probably die, or at least pray for death for getting hooked.....

SIDE NOTE: Love the new pics... you are too hot babe!!!

5. jonb

Gold Member

Well, the best alternative to The Real World is, surprisingly enough, the real world.

6. D_Martin van Burden

You're too much, my fellow hotness that is BB.

I talked with a really wise young friend of me yesterday who expressed how grateful he was that the one noise he didn't hear upon returning home was a television set in the background. And I envy him, and you like others, who still find reading an enjoyable hobby -- I guess I'll have time to cultivate it once I'm no longer obligated to read all this classroom material.

And what with cable prices nowadays, it really costs an arm and leg to have decent service, even with basic channels alone.

I caught a snippet online about how there will be an unprecedented number of releases for reality TV shows for 2005. If "Who's My Daddy" is an indication of what's to come, then my soul can do nothing but hurt. As it stands, I'm really busy too with school so, when I'm not on extended break, I average maybe a couple of hours a week, if that. (The Internet is my preferred media poison.)

I guess I'm stuck on how people get much entertainment out of reality TV anymore. Sure, I tuned into a few shows until I realized just how vapid and pointless they were. "This is a story of seven strangers..." yeah, yeah, who get pampered, live in a phat house, RENT FREE, have to hold down some shit excuse of a job that doesn't do anything, endure some taping, only to become MTV's media bitches. And if you're like Kyle (Chicago), Trishelle (Las Vegas), or Jamie (New Orleans), you'll try to bleed those 15 minutes for all their worth.

Never mind you could've had a live or ambition before you got on the show -- now you just have to smile.

I'm disgusted.

7. hungthick

hungthick New Member

i agree with you m.z. i cancelled my cable 3 weeks ago and have loved NOT watching the television. i found i only watched when i was tired at night and then i ate at the set. Now i am reading and writing more and painting and visiting friends more often...quitting tv is great....i still play dvds and vhs tapes though, but rarely...finding freedom without tv.

8. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I'm getting real sick of the reality shows as well. Unfortunately, I love my TV. I spent too much time as a teenager growing up on a ranch with nothing else to do. It's become a nasty habit now though. Most of the time I don't actually watch it though, I just have it on for back ground noise.

9. jonb

Gold Member

I use the radio for that.

10. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I'm getting better about that myself. You would think that the noise from my 2 yr old would be enough for me though. :lol:

11. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Dee, you are too sweet!

Reading is something that has always been a part of my life. Granted, being in school most of my life and now working in academia share a part of that interest. Just something to think about... I realize your reading load in grad school might be overwhelming, but you need to make time to read something that you enjoy. Academic reading can be a bore (and some can be quite interesting), but you need to find other manuscripts that capture your attention. This will help you juggle the academic side and the social side of your life (yes, reading is part of a social life).

As far as the "Who is your Daddy?" showing coming up.... Jesus Christ! Give me a break. One would think about the social disposition imposed on other siblings, spouses, etc. and how that affects their pyscho-socio balance. But then, let's think, we are talking about REALITY TV.

12. D_Martin van Burden

One Fox affiliate nixed "Daddy." Let's hope others follow in its stead.

13. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

With me, the only one that I find mildy amusing if not entertaining is VH1'S

The Surreal Life, especially the first season with Ron Jeremy, Tammy Faye Baker, Erik Estrada and the artist formally known as Vanilla Ice.

The other ones are enough to grate my nerves, I mean who the hell wants to see where SURVIVOR is going next?

14. D_Martin van Burden

It'd be fun if some reality crew out there shot in the middle of Death Valley or Deception Island, West Antarctica -- but that's as good as it gets.

15. jonb

Gold Member

Fox got on my last nerve way back with "Temptation Island".

Draft saved Draft deleted