Recession-Era College Enrollment Boom

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

With all of the bad news and fear mongering going on, I thought it would be a good change of pace to create a post that is on the positive side of things. In a recent study by Pew Research, college enrollment in the United States is getting higher due to an increase of minority freshmen enrollment.

Freshman enrollment at the nation's 6,100 post-secondary institutions surged by 144,000 students from the fall of 2007 to the fall of 2008. This 6% increase was the largest in 40 years1, and almost three-quarters of it came from minority freshman enrollment growth. From 2007 to 2008, the freshman enrollment of Hispanics at post-secondary institutions grew by 15%, of blacks by 8%, of Asians by 6% and of whites by 3%.

Minorities and the Recession-Era College Enrollment Boom - Pew Research Center

This is a good sign. Let's just hope these people are attending colleges that are adamant in teaching science & evolution. :wink:

2. avg_joe

Gold Member

I am one of these people trying to transfer to a four year university.

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'm considering going back to school to get my degree. Many years ago I never finished college due to finances. However, even though I have close to 20 years of actual work and professional experience in my fields for computer and web design, many companies will still not look at you as a viable candidate without the piece of paper. That's doubly ironic since many people were into the internet and creating websites long before any higher learning or college institution made degrees or certification programs for them. Depending on the college I choose, I may be able to use some of my actual experience for credits so it may not be a total loss.

Something definitely worth pondering.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    VB, I went back to university in my late thirties and got a second degree. It changed my life. (in a good way :)

I read about this trend last week somewhere. They said that since good jobs are so scarce in the US, many kids are just opting to go to school rather than work at crappy jobs or worse. Many can't get even entry level work and are force to live with their parents, so they may as well go to school.

#4 vince, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted