recession victim solidarity post

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by voyeuristic, Jan 9, 2009.

1. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    After graduating from one of the nation's most prestigious colleges recently, I found myself incredible humbled today as I walked into Trader Joe's to ask for an application. Yes, it really is that bad. Worse yet, they're not hiring.

I've done every job in the book, for as low as minimum wage, and don't consider very much beneath me. I've dealt with the shit and piss of people who couldn't deal with their own as a caregiver, I've typed out thousand of data entry fields, and I've sold worthless trinkets. I'm willing to work any hours for any wage. Still, I can't manage to find a single thing. Granted, I've only been back in the US for two weeks, but I'm getting very discouraged.

I have a long-term plan but I need a short-term one to get me through this mess.

2. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Have you tried going back into home health care? I was under the impression there are immense shortages in that field.

3. ScorpioSlut

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're not alone. This economy is in a SAD SAD state.

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Short term? Try something that you can get in and out of quickly as your direction changes. House cleaning, baby sitting, dog walking, most of them are cash jobs and you can call the shots on your schedule.
    In todays economy most people are not going to waste their time with you if they feel like you are not part of the not so distant future.

5. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Have you tried stripping?

*I'm sorry, exotic dancing.

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I've heard that it's really hard to get a job in the US, I hope things start to look up for you.

7. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

You may be encountering what I encountered when I had to leave the field of Chemical Engineering. I was overqualified, and had trouble finding a job. I wound up working for the postal service. It pays okay, the retirement now stinks, and the public can be a bunch of perverted jerks. Hmmm It prepared me to post on here.

8. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    I've applied to a teaching-credential-on-the-job program, so hopefully I'll be doing that come summer/fall. In the meantime, I'm just trawling Craigslist looking for short term gigs like the ones Nudeyorker mentions. I've had rampant success with this in the past, and have had to turn away work, but now? Nothing.

Hootie - as a humanities major, I'm only "overqualified" for most menial work in terms of intelligence, not credentials. T_K, are things better in Canada? Skull - stripping is the one, ahem, field of erotic employment I haven't tried. I've done just about everything else. The other stuff just requires altering my appearance as a one-off thing, though, and stripping requires doing it on an ongoing basis. I want to pay my rent, but I also need to feel comfortable with my body during my off-hours.

9. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Yes, there are lots of jobs, from my perspective, but I'm also schooled in 3 different things, soon to be a fourth. You need an education here to make any sort of money though.

10. red7.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I employ over 50 people. Stripping is not an option for most of them.

11. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    Landing that first job is almost *always* the hardest step of your career -- regardless of the economy you graduate into. Virtually nobody manages it in two weeks, whatever the caliber of their undergraduate degree.

Once you've gotten someone to take a chance on you that first time, and you have your foot in the door someplace, it becomes immensely easier. I hope that's some consolation.

Some advice: If you can't find a paying job in the field you'd like to be in, augment your Trader Joe's job with an unpaid internship or volunteering in your desired area. That way, when the economy does finally turn around, you'll be much better-positioned to make your move into the field where you want to be.

Steve

12. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    Steve, I've applied to a teaching program for the summer/fall, so I'm just looking for something short-term. You're making the presumption that I haven't been in the work world before with the "that first job" bit, though, which is off - in fact, I worked full-time for ten years: I didn't start college until I was 28.

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If you have any experience, try registering with Upscale catering companies for cater-waiter positions. Also the larger Hotels, when they have conventions or events they need wait and bar staff. You are not full time but on call.
    Since you have applied for a teaching position,why not register as a sub in the meanwhile.

14. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    nude - unfortunately, I won't get my degree until May, even though I've finished my coursework.

15. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know a few girls in college who dance at places where they don't have to take their clothes off. Good money.

16. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    Skull - I'm 33 and flat-chested so that's probably not my best bet. It definitely works for some people, though.

17. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    So those pictures in your gallery are of someone else then?

18. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

Granted I probably wont take out a loan, I'm thinking if its around the same state that it is when I graduate I'm just going to go to a nearby farm and work until I can use my time worked to buy some off the land off the owner and build a house.

Then just watch the world as I do my work in the fields.

Fuck it

19. MickeyLee

Gold Member

are there any runner services in your area? when i lived in Boston and Minneapolis i made pretty good cash running an ad in the local rag *the phoenix or local queer friendly weekly*. anything from picking up dry cleaning to accepting packages to dog walking to watering plants. met lots of cool people. had a lot of fun. tips were great. hours were a bit odd and scheduling was always an issue.

odd jobs: supply shopper for a pro-domme. ever gone into a pharmacy looking to buy 500+ condoms, 50 disposable douche kits and every bottle of lube available? i learned real quick to love wholesale distributors. lil bit of advice - call in advance. be prepared for the "busy weekend" jokes.

ML

20. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    Skull - of course those pictures are of me. Flat-chested, A cup...regardless, not stripper material. Don't get me wrong - I like my body - but I know what makes money in that kind of setting, and swollen mosquito bites won't cut it.

Draft saved Draft deleted