Recipes

AnonyMs: If we are gonna have a women's section, we have got to have some food to go along with it - preferably high calorie with an astronomical fat content and little nutrition value.  So tell us your favorite dish!

wvalady1968: Well, my current favorite involves my guy, Hershey's syrup and whipped cream.

::)

Is that the kind of recipe you mean?

sammygirly: Max and I have a recipe section on another board we run....and wouldn't you know it's the biggest, most used section on the whole thing??

This could take off...get your recipe cards and a pen handy!!

wvalady1968: Oh, REAL recipes. :)

Yeah, I have one I just made last week for a picnic. It was a hit.

Citrus Cheesecake

Crust:
1 lg. egg, separated
1 ¼ c. all purpose flour
1 T. lemon juice
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 t. grated lemon peel
½ c. butter (1 stick) at room temperature
¼ t. vanilla extract

Butter a 9 inch springform pan. Whisk egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon peel, and vanilla in a bowl to blend. In a food processor, blend flour and sugar; add butter and process until crumbs form. With the machine running, add the egg mixture. When dough forms, press onto the bottom and 1 ½ inches up the sides of the springform pan. Freeze for 10 minutes.

While the crust is in the freezer, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Whisk egg white until foamy and brush crust lightly. Bake until crust is a pale golden color, about 15 minutes. Cool.

Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.

Filling:
24 oz. cream cheese
2 ½ t. grated lemon peel
1 2/3 c. granulated sugar
½ t. vanilla extract
2 T. cornstarch
3 lg. Eggs
1 T. lemon juice
1 c. sour cream
4 t. grated orange peel

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until blended; add cornstarch, lemon juice, peels, and vanilla; blend. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add sour cream and mix thoroughly.

Pour over crust and bake at 350 degrees for at least one hour, then check at five minute intervals until the center is set. Remove from oven to a cooling rack and run a knife around the sides to loosen. Cool, then chill 4-6 hours. Top with glaze before serving.

Glaze:
2/3 c. orange marmalade
2 t. granulated sugar

In a saucepan, mix both ingredients together and bring to a boil. Stir and boil for about two minutes until slightly reduced. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Spread warm glaze on top of cold cheesecake. Chill ten minutes before serving.

Makes 10 servings.

I put extra lemon juice in the filling just cause.

:p

Javierdude22: Well, i think I mentioned it somewhere, but eversince an Italian friend of mine showed me, I'm having Bruschetta once a week. It's basically a piece of baguette sliced through the middle, and with tomato, basil, garlic, and olive oil on it. Supersimple...but o so tasty. O and your breath will kill all your plants for sure as well.

So, just slice some tomatoes in little pieces
Chop up a lotta basil
Chop up a nice amount of garlic
Stir it all in a bowl
Add a little olive oil.

It should now be a nice mixture of red, green and white, and nice and moist.

Now put a couple of eatingspoons full on a piece of baguette, and put it all in the oven till the bread gets that nice tan.

And voilá....

Amberlynn: Nuclear Reactor Cleaning Coffee
------------------------------

SECURITY CLEARANCE VX12 REQUIRED.

ACCESS DENIED.

*giggle* You wish i would tell you this recipe!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
MARINER PITAS

Ingredients:

1 6-oz. pouch, Starkist Tuna
3 tbsp. Miracle Whip
1 tsp. relish
2 pita pocket slices
Dole Spring Mix, to garnish
crumbled feta, to taste

In a small bowl, slowly combine tuna, mayonnaise, and relish and briskly stir to blend. Remember that the amounts for the mayonnaise and relish are adjustable to your own tastes. For "fleshier" tuna mix, add less mayonnaise; for a creamier blend, add more.

Open up the pita pockets and spoon the tuna mix into them so that they are about three-quarters full.

Layer the spring mix leaves on top of the tuna, then sprinkle the crumbled feta above the leaves. Make a mess on your plate? Dash extra feta on top of the spilled leaves for a side salad of sorts.

Serve with citrus slices, fruit juice and/or water.

Serves two. Or if you've got an afterburner metabolism like me... then just one.

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Dee,
I've seen two/three weeks ago the recipe on your site, I gave it a try, it was delicious - THANKS 8) !!! I love cooking, especially for friends.
So that, yesterday, I enjoyed some more Mariner Pitas (...whose Greek plural would be, if I'm not miskating, "pitakis"... ?... correct me ! :p)

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

2 lb. fish fillets
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed [I love garlic !]
1/4 tsp. each ground pepper and salt
1 tsp. chopped thyme, 2 tsp. chopped tarragon, 2 tbsp. chopped dill...

Combine all ingredients except for the fish. Let sit for one hour. Place fish in marinade. Grill or broil as desired. Serves 6. Cal 81, Prot 16g, Fat 1g, Sat fat 0g, Carb 0g, Fib 0g, Sod. 76 mg

Phallostrates: I'm 100% Greek, and Greeks are known for baklava. Okay, so it's Turkish in origin, but the Greeks have claimed it for their own and have made it better. For the past four years I have won the first place award for the best baklava at my parish's Greek Pastry Bake-Off, much to the chagrin of several little, old, blue-haired Greek ladies who think every category should be won by a little, old, blue-haired Greek lady. Well, the recipe is my grandmother's. Enjoy.

BAKLAVA

Pastry ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. walnuts, finely chopped
1/2 lb. almonds, finely chopped
1 cup spice cookie crumbs*
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 lb. fillo dough (phyllo, filo)
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, melted
Whole cloves

(* My grandmother makes the spice cookies from scratch: forget that! I buy the cheapest ginger snaps the supermarket has.)

Thoroughly mix the first eight ingredients.
Brush a 9" x 13" pan with butter. Place 8 sheets of fillo in the pan, brushing each with melted butter. Over this spread a generous layer of the spiced nut mixture. Cover with six sheets of fillo, brushing each with melted butter. Continue layering until all the nut mixture is used. Finish off with eight sheets of philo, each brushed with butter. Chill while making the syrup.

Syrup ingredients:
4 cups sugar
1 cup water
i cup honey
Juice of 1 lemon
Shot of Metaxa brandy
Shot of amaretto
5 whole cloves

Bring the sugar and water to a rolling boil. Turn down the heat and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer ten minutes. Remove the cloves and allow to cool.

Returning to the pastry: Score the pastry, first lengthwise then diagonally to form the traditional diamond shapes. Stud the center of each diamond with a whole clove. Bake in 350° oven 1 - 1 1/2 hrs., until golden brown. Pour cooled syrup over hot pastry and listen to it sizzle! Let it sit for about an hour while the pastry absorbs the syrup. To serve, cut the pastry diamond out of the pan and place in a muffin cup / cupcake liner. Perfect accompaniment: Greek coffee.

jdoe86

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Dee, I thought I was the only one to eat tuna that way...sometimes when I don't have feta cheese, I change the mix a little and add blue cheese or maybe almonds...I have come up with a few variations of the same mix...I am hungry again!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=Abhijit link=board=women;num=1062851255;start=0#13 date=09/08/03 at 11:34:48]I always thought baklava was Armenian[/quote]

Phallostrates is right. Baklava is even a Turkish word. But all cultures heavily influenced by the Ottoman (i.e. Turkish) Empire have a form of baklava; that includes Greeks, Armenians, Syrians, Albanians, Roumanians, etc. Tradition has it that baklava was invented by a Greek cook employed by a Turkish caliph.

abhijit: all I know is it's a bit too sweet for me... but I LOVE apricot kolaches! Are they Polish or Czech or what?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Phallostrates' baklava recipe serves 28 people.

Or one Greek family. ;)

Pecker

(If my mother knew I was here she'd kill me. She thinks I'm selling dope.)

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
These proportions will serve 55-60.

[Baklava, of course.]

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
----------------------------------------------------------------
3 1/2 cups Sugar
2 1/2 cups Water
2 tablespoons Honey
2 teaspoons Fresh lemon juice
1 Cinnamon stick