Recipes

wvalady1968: I just popped this in the oven for when David returns from trying to play 9 holes of golf before it gets dark. :D

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
small can of tomato sauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 t. sugar [a Southern thing?]
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
Dash of Frank's Hot Sauce [or three]
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
3/4 c. uncooked Quick oats

Mix all together and bake at 375 degrees for about an hour and change. Great with twice baked potatoes!

AnonyMs: [quote author=prepstudinsc link=board=women;num=1062851255;start=40#47 date=11/02/03 at 17:42:38] Curry Chicken Casserole
[/quote]OMG! I made this for dinner tonight. FABULOUS!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=wvalady1968 link=board=women;num=1062851255;start=80#80 date=11/03/03 at 13:12:51]I just popped this in the oven for when David returns from trying to play 9 holes of golf before it gets dark.  :D

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 c. chopped onions
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Mix all together and bake at 375 degrees for about an hour and change. Great with twice baked potatoes!
[/quote]

Having raised 4 kids through some pretty small paychecks I learned that you can substitute cooked rice for the oatmeal, adding more or less than 3/4 cup according to how far you need to extend the ground beef.

My grandmother could feed more people with a pound of ground beef than that guy did with the bread and fishes.

Pecker

(When my grandkids get wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen.  When they're finished, I climb out.)

wvalady1968: That's how I make stuffed peppers, Pecker!

Nony, Prep'sosted several recipes I wanna try! Maybe that one first, since it has your added endorsement.

prepstudinsc: [quote author=wvalady1968 link=board=women;num=1062851255;start=80#80 date=11/03/03 at 13:12:51]I just popped this in the oven for when David returns from trying to play 9 holes of golf before it gets dark.  :D

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 c. chopped onions
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

[/quote]

Even though I hardly eat beef, I do love a big ol' slab of meatloaf with some mashed potatoes....talk about stick to your ribs! (and your waist)

prepstudinsc: Nony-
I'm glad you liked one of my recipes. I've got plenty more where that came from....

da_blissmachine: When I go home for Thanksgiving I will put all my recipes saved on my home computer.... yummy!

and all my writing

wvu_kerq: ;D Okay I thought I'd stick my hat in the ring...

Pots de Crème Au Chocolat:
2c half and half (1 pint)
5 squares semisweet chocolate
6 egg yolks
1/4c sugar
1/2tsp salt
2tsp vanilla extract

Topping:
1/2c heavy whipping cream
1/4c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

You will have to do this at least 5 hours ahead of when you plan on serving this.
In 1-quart sauce pan on med. heat, heat half and half until hot, but not boiling; set aside. Meanwhile, in double broiler over hot, not boiling water, melt four squares of chocolate. Remove double broiler top from heat, with wire whisk beat eggs unto melted choc. until smooth; stir in sugar and salt. Gradually stir in half and half until well blended. Put it all back on the double broiler and simmer until it thickens enough to coat a spoon (about 15 minutes). Stir in vanilla extract. Pour unto 4 6oz. stemmed glasses (it- wine, champagne) and refrigerate until set (about 5 hours).
To serve: in a small bowl with electric mixer on med., beat heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff (no puns here!) peaks form. Spoon onto pots. With the last square of chocolate use a sharp knife to (carefully) make little curls to be placed onto of the cream.

My mom gave me this recipe and while it’s hard work and time consuming it is soooooooooo good!!

longtimelurker: [quote author=wvalady1968 link=board=women;num=1062851255;start=80#80 date=11/03/03 at 13:12:51]
1 c. chopped onions
[/quote]

Strange - who'd have thought of measuring onions and peppers in cups?

Sorry, but over here we'd just say 1 med onion, chopped (or however many it is) - seems far more sensible if you ask me!

Love cooking (comes from being a chemist I think). Not really my own and a bit naughty to post, but this is an excellent recipie from Jamie Oliver. I'm sure he's put it up for free at his website before now, but in case he hasn't I'll give him some free advertising instead!

Roast squash, sage, chestnut and pancetta risotto

risotto base
2 pt vegetable stock
2 1/2 oz + knob butter
2 tbs olive oil
large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 head celery, finely chopped
14oz risotto rice
2 wineglasses Martini
salt & pepper
4 oz freshly grated parmesan

extra
1 butternut squash
1 level tbs coriander seeds
2 sm. dried chillis
salt & pepper
olive oil
12 slices of pancetta or dry-cure smoked bacon
3 1/2 oz chestnuts (cooked and peeeled)
bunch sage
optional (but reccomended!) 6 heaped tbs marscapone

Serves 6
Preheat oven to 190C, gas 5
cut squash in half and scoop out seeds, put to one side
cut squash lengthways into 0.5cm/1/4" slices
bash coriander seeds and chillies with salt and pepper (pestle&mortar or rolling pin)
dust chilli mix over squash with 1tbs olive oil
mix up until completely coated and line up snugly in a roasting (I think you say broiling?) tray
bake for around 30 min until skin is soft to touch

Meanwhile start with the basic risotto below

Once the 30 min is up, remove squash from the oven and lay pancetta over it.
Mix squash seeds, chestnuts and sage leaves with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
Sprinkle over squash and pancetta and place in oven for 5-10min so pancetta is crisp.
Once the squash has cooled a little, shake off pancetta and chestnuts and finely chop squash (it is quite squishy here, so be warned! You can leave half the squash chunky if you prefer).
By now, the risotto that you have been preparing at the same time should be ready...

Basic risotto:
Heat stock
In seperate pan heat olive oil and knob butter. Fry onions, garlic and celery and fry V SLOWLY for 15 min, so they don't colour
When vegetables are soft, add rice and turn up heat
Keep stirring as the rice gently fries. When it starts to look translucent (~1min) add the vermouth and keep stirring
Once the vermouth has cooked into the rice add the first ladle of hot stock and a good pinch salt
Turn down heat and simmer so rice doesn't cook too quickly.
As the stock is absorbed keep adding stock one ladle at a time, stirring to massage the starch out of the rice, allow each ladle to be absorbed before adding the next (about 15 min total)
Taste rice to see if cooked (should be soft with slight bite) - if not, add more stock and continue. If you run out of stock, add boiling water

----

Remove from heat and add butter, parmesan and the squash. Stir well.
Place lid on pan and stand for 2 min.
Serve sprinkled with squash seeds, pancetta and chestnuts with a big dollop of marscapone on the side.

----

Have tried this one and it is delicious (even if it does need a bit of doing 2 things at once in the middle). I wasn't too keen on the squash seeds, though - so you may want to leave them out.
The guy does some great recipies, though (even if he does have an annoying voice) - I haven't had a dud one from any of his cookbooks so far.

AnonyMs: For those in the US who are unfamiliar with the British way of cooking, 190 C gas 5 translates to about 350 - 375 degrees for thirty minutes. (I think - but that is usually how long it takes for a butternut squash to get soft in the oven).

prepstudinsc: What a bunch of epicurians we have in our midst....if we ever have a LPSG get together, we'll be eating good!

prepstudinsc: Ooops, I forgot to mention that there will be plenty of meat :p ;D

longtimelurker: [quote author=nony link=board=women;num=1062851255;start=80#91 date=11/04/03 at 15:38:25]For those in the US who are unfamiliar with the British way of cooking, 190 C gas 5 translates to about 350 - 375 degrees for thirty minutes. (I think - but that is usually how long it takes for a butternut squash to get soft in the oven).[/quote]

I got 375F - I forgot you guys used farenheit. We're mainly imperial (hence the oz), but we're a kinda half-arsed about metrication.

Tender: Prep,
i am going to try some of your recipies, ill let you know what my Sweet Boy thinks of them....

i didnt know you didnt have a wife? :(
hope you find one right soon....

question about your coconut pie? is it a pudding? or not?

Tender

Tender: Corn Bread Salad

Layer these in order in a 9x13 casarole dish

1 9x9 pan of cornbread, cooled and crumbled
1 can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4c of chopped green onion
3/4c chopped green bell peper
1 1/2 c diced tomato
1 lb cooked crumbled bacon

Next mix 1 1/2 c of salad dressing with 3/4 c pickle sweet pickle juice. Pour over top layer.
Refrigerate over night.

(I sometimes add dill pickle juice also, depends on how sweet you like it...)

prepstudinsc: Tender-
That cornbread salad sounds good.

Yeah I'm single. Just haven't found anybody you can appreciate all I have to offer yet. ;)

The coconut pie isn't really like pudding, it's more like custard.

Prep

Tender: tried the cream cheese pound cake today and it was yummmmmy!!
my mother made a pie, it was delicious.
great to live next door lol!

this pie is alot like pecan pie. it forms a nice crunchy "crust" on the top, browns nicely... and has the same sort of rich filling....

PEANUT BUTTER PIE ( you cant really tell its pb?)
2 eggs
i c syrup
i c sugar
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

mix altogether,
pour into unbaked pie shell.
bake at 350 for 45 min to one hour

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
One of my Grandma's recipes. She said this was particularly popular during the rationing of WWII.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

2 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
4 tbsp Cocoa
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking soda

Add:

1 cup Mayonnaise (don't use Salad Dressing!!)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup Water

Mix together. Pour into two 9" baking pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

It's so moist, you won't even miss the frosting!