Recipes...

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Could anyone point me in the direction of a good vegan or vegetarian site?

I've read the average person only makes about 15 things on a regular basis. So I'll need 15 easy fast recipes. I need to clean out some arteries for a while.

Wirmboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Could anyone point me in the direction of a good vegan or vegetarian site?

I've read the average person only makes about 15 things on a regular basis. So I'll need 15 easy fast recipes. I need to clean out some arteries for a while.

Donno if ya allow for some dairy...

I have found a way to make sugar free instant pudding without using milk, but requires yogurt instead.

I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40 calories), but puddings do not firm up with it, as you need some proteins. Depending on lactose intolerance some dairy is easier to digest than others. I use fat free sugar free vanilla for puddings. The best is Kroger / Albertson's Carb Master yogurt (80 calories). It is an odd yogurt as it seems to be a bit artificial in its consistency and flavor. Though mixed 50/50 with almond milk, you get a rich instant pudding without need for milk, and is digestible without lactose issues.

Though you will be using 2/3 of the pudding package to mix in once you have thoughly mixed the almond milk and yogurt together. If pudding is not firm enough slowly add more of the packet of pudding until a nice consistency. If the pudding relaxes during refrigeration, you added too much almond milk or not enough of the packet.

You can use the full packet if you don't mind a wee stronger pudding that is a bit firmer than normal.

The beauty of such a mix, you can eat the whole freak'n bowl of pudding and not feel bad about it, as the total calorie for the mix is about 145 calories. :eek:)~

Last edited:

I'm looking for a recipe with beef(maybe like a beef stew or stroganoff) that includes rice. I really want something that has the beef sauce/gravy and rice.

I've looked up beef stew with rice and/or beef stroganoff with rice. Idk if those really meet what I'm looking for. Any other idea's??

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you want my Stroganoff recipe I'll dig it up but this is just as easy and so much better in my opinion. I serve booth with egg noodles but you can use rice too.

This is one of the easiest dishes I make and also one of my favorite. I'm making this now for dinner tomorrow night.

Boeuf Bourguignon
This is traditionally made with red wine but I usually have a good strong demi-glace in my freezer and a couple spoonfuls really give this dish a very nice flavor boost
You will need...
2 pounds of beef cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks. (I usually buy fillet at Costco)
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
4 onions thinly sliced
2 TBL flour
1 cup red Burgundy
6 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces.
1 garlic clove
1 bouquet gari (A sprig of flat parsley, 2 sprigs of thyme and a bay leaf bundle them and put in a cheesecloth pouch.
Step one
Season the meat with salt and pepper, in a large dutch oven heat the oil on high heat until it is almost smoking. Add the meat in batches and remove when browned on all sides (not gray) If you put in too much meat at the same time it wont turn out a good brown color. After you seared and removed all the meat from the pan lower the heat to med/high add the onions and cook about 10 minutes until they are soft and golden brown and sprinkle the flour in the pot and cook for another few minutes and add the wine. Bring it to a boil and use your spoon to scrape up all the fond from the bottom of the pot.

Step two
Return the meat to the pot and add the carrots, garlic and bouquet garni. Add enough water so that the liquid cover the meat by one third. (meaning you want a ratio of 3 parts liquid to 2 parts meat)Add the demi-glace. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and cover and gently simmer for two hours until the meat breaks apart with a fork.

You really need to pay attention while it's cooking and gently stir every 15 to 20 minutes and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to make sure the meat is not sticking to the bottom or it will scorch. You also need to skim off any foam, scum or oil collecting on the surface.
When done remove the garni and discard and garnish with a little chopped parsley. I serve this on a bed of boiled buttered potatoes and fresh french crusty bread to sop up the sauce. This dish is best served the next day. Refrigerate overnight and reheat before serving.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of my other favorites is Steak Diane because I think it's delicious but I also enjoy doing flambe at the table but here is my Stroganoff...

1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin (well trimmed)
Season with salt and pepper.

In a saucepan over medium heat melt 1 1/2 TBL butter and whisk in 1 TBL flour. Add a cup of beef stock and keep whisking like mad until there are no lumps (3 minutes or so) Set aside. Thinly slice mushrooms and saute in butter and set aside.

In a skillet melt 2 TBL butter. Add the beef and a thinly sliced onion. Stirring until browned on the outside (about a minute) it should be pink on the inside. Remove the meat and place on a hot plate or baking sheet in the oven on low heat cover with sauteed mushrooms. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onion. Add 3 TBL sour cream, 1 tsp dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over meat and mushroom and serve on rice or egg noodles.

Reactions: deleted1264960

I found this one....seems like it would be good::

Beef Stroganoff:

Ingredients

• 2 pounds beef chuck roast
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 ounces butter
  • 4 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef broth

• 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
Directions

Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Add the onions and cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, then push to the side with the beef strips.
Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the pan. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and white wine. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It looks like you found the short cut version of my recipe (Which is fine) I understand people who need to or would rather take a short cut... but I have an aversion to almost everything in a tin can.
I even make my own beef (chicken) stock and freeze it in an ice cube tray (in freezer proof bags) and it's soooooo much better than what you get in a tin.

Beef Stock
2 pound shin of veal on the bone
2 TBL shortening
1 pound marrow bones (cut up)
3 carrots chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
2 onions quartered
2 large garlic cloves crushed
5 quarts of water
1 bay leaf
8 black peppercorns
1/4 tsp thyme
2 pounds shin of beef sliced 1 1/2 " thick

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
Bone the veal and reserve the meat. Place the veal bone, marrow bones, carrots, celry onions and garlic in a greased roasting pan and roast for 45 minutes. baste and turn every 15 minutes or so.
Transfer the bones and vegetables to a stock pot and scrape any residue from the roasting pan and add to stock mixture. Add the water, bay leaf,peppercorns, and thyme and bring to boil (Do not add any salt) Simmer and skim for the next four hours. (This is bone stock)
For beef stock skim 4 TBL of the fat from the bone stock and reserve. Return the stock to the pan and stockpot. Brown the beef and shin in the reserved fat for about 10 minutes and add the beef mixture to the stock mixture and bring to boil, Simmer for about three to four hours and skim the surface as necessary. Strain and cool and store in refrigerator for a week (boil before using again) or freeze.

I keep beef and chicken stock in my freezer and when I'm so inclined or making seafood I make fish stock to have on hand. Once you have had good homemade stock you will see what it does for your recipes and it's almost impossible to go back to tinned stock.

Last edited:

ahh. I understand. I like to use the broth or stock that's in the container not in the can. That doesn't really help the fact that it's not homemade but I don't like can stuff when it comes to liquids.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I found an 'opakapaka (pink snapper) at the market this morning...

Baked 'Opakapaka With Coconut Milk
6 ti leaves ( you can substitute banana leaves,corn husks or in a pinch cheesecloth)
3 pound whole 'opakapaka
1.5 TBL sea salt
1 TBL peeled and minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1.5 cups coconut milk
1 sweet onion diced

Preheat the oven to 350 and rinse the ti leaves and strip back the leaf ribs so they are flexible.

Scale and clean the fish and cut 4 crosswise slices on each side. Sprinkle the salt and ginger on the fish and coat with mayonnaise. Place the fish on the ti leaves on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil. Pour on the coconut milk and sprinkle the onions on the fish. Wrap the fish in the ti leaves and seal in foil. Place the wrapped fish on the baking sheet in the oven for 25-30 minutes depending on how thick the fish is. Unwrap the fish and serve.

I usually serve this with rice and Bok Choy Broccoli
2 TBL vegetable oil
1 medium onion thinly sliced
1 TBL peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups broccoli florets
1 pound bok choy coarsely chopped
2 TBL lemon juice
1.5 tsp sugar
1 TBL soy sauce
Heat the oil in a wok on med/high heat until it's almost smoking. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and salt and cook for a couple of minutes (Do not let the garlic burn) Add the broccoli and bok choy and stir for another minute. Add the lemon juice, sugar and soy sauce and stir for a few more minutes until crisp but tender. Serve immediately.

I borrowed this recipe from Hungry Nation(which I love). This cake is absolutely AMAZING. It is quite fool-proof. I used an 8" round cake pan and it was the perfect height. You guys will love this. Also, I used light brown sugar. :) ENJOY.
Hungry Nation – Apple Cake: Our Family's Traditional, Fail-Proof Recipe

APPLE CAKE

• 2-3 large, tart apples, cored and peeled
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups white sugar or 2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

• Powdered sugar, for dusting; or toasted slivered almonds
Optional maple syrup glaze:

• maple syrup
  • powdered sugar
Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly butter a cake or bundt pan.
Chop your apples into uniform chunks and toss, in a bowl, with the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients and stir. Stir in the eggs and the oil. Stir in the vanilla.
Either gently fold the apples into the batter and pour everything into the cake pan, or pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared cake pan, then 1/2 the apples, 1/3 of the batter, the last 1/2 of the apples, and top with the remaining 1/3 of batter. There should be quite a bit of extra room at the top of the pan; trust me, you’ll need it.
Bake at 350ºF for 65 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool, in the pan, to room temp, then invert onto a plate and flip back over. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar, toasted slivered almonds, or a maple syrup glaze.
To make a maple syrup glaze, simply whisk together maple syrup and powdered sugar - start with just a little and add more as necessary - until the glaze reaches your desired thickness.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well tonight seems like a perfect night for soup. I don't have a name for this but it's long been one of my favorite... This recipe serves four very hungry people or six people with a reasonable appetite.

You will need...
6 oz finely chopped raw lamb
1 heaping tsp coriander seeds
1 heaping tsp cumin seeds
1 spanish onion peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed with 1 tsp kosher salt
1 heaping tsp crushed allspice
2 heaping tsp mild chilli powder
6 oz sun dried tomato paste
2 TBL Canola oil
1 green chilli seeded and chopped
2 tsp caster sugar
1 1/2 pints water
1 pint lamb stock (You can substitute vegetable stock in a pinch)
4 oz dried chickpeas (soaked overnight in 8 oz of water)
2 oz couscous
1 TBL chopped fresh parsley
1 TBL chopped fresh mint
1 lemon cut into four to six wedges

Preheat a frying pan on medium heat and add the coriander and and cumin and dry roast until very fragrant and changing in color and the seeds start to dance around the pan. (about 2-3 minutes) Remove from pan and crush.
Heat a TBL of oil in a stock pot and cook the onions until light and golden and add the garlic and cook for another two minutes or so. Add the crushed spices, chilli powder, allspice. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Meanwhile heat another TSP of oil in the pot on med/high until it's almost smoking and add the lamb and brown it quickly..
Now add the onion mixture to the lamb and turn the heat down to med'ish and add the tomato paste and chopped chilli and sugar. Stir everything together and add the water and stock. Discard the liquid from the chickpeas and stir them into the mixture. Put a lid on the pot and lower heat and simmer for an hour or so until the chickpeas are tender.
When you are ready to serve add the couscous, parsley and mint, stir and remove from heat. Put the lid back on for a few minutes. Ladle into hot soup bowls and squeeze a wedge of lemon in each bowl and serve with warm pita bread.

Last edited:

Sorry it took so long. So here are the two recipes I use:

The first one is a family recipe that's been used for years and years::

First you start off by making cornbread(now if you have a recipe you like for cornbread then use it but make sure not to use a sweet cornbread or else it will throw off your entire dressing taste) which i use a 9x13 pan. Here are the ingredients::

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup oil
1 egg(beaten)
1 1/2 to 2 cup milk(depending on the consistency)

First, grease your 9x13 pan and preheat the oven for 450 F. Then mix all of your ingredients well at this point the mixture should be a little bit juicy. Don't worry because it will thicken as it cooks. Cook the cornbread until the top is brown around 1 1/2 hour. Then set aside.

For the dressing here are the ingredients:

2 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 egg(beaten)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk.
First, crumble up the cornbread into a big mixing bowl after that crumble up about 6-8 pieces of regular bread(it works best of the bread is a little stale or if you toast it in the oven prior to) and mix that into the cornbread. Next, you will need to pour in 2 cups of broth(now you can use any pre-packaged broth or make your own by boiling a turkey breast for an hour. Mix this well next add salt and pepper to taste. Then add 2 eggs well beaten, 1 small onion chopped, and mix all of this really well so that there are no lumps. This mixture should be juicy as well. Cook this mixture until the top is brown.

The next recipe is one I found online which I found to be really good as well. So I'll just copy and paste that recipe.

This home-style cornbread recipe is made with fresh cornbread crumbs.

Yield: Serves 10 to 12

Ingredients:

• 6 cups crumbled cornbread
  • 3 cups soft bread crumbs
  • 4 ounces butter
  • 2 cups onion, chopped
  • 2 cups finely chopped celery
  • 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups chicken, diced, optional
  • 1 heaping tablespoon dried sage, crumbled
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme, crumbled
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Preparation:

Heat oven to 400ºF. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread and white bread crumbs. In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion and celery in butter until tender. Do not brown. Combine the sautéed vegetables with the bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth, using enough to moisten. Stir in the diced chicken, if using, and the seasonings and beaten eggs, blending well. Spread the mixture in a large shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" x 15". Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

Now with this dish I didn't use all of the spices instead I purchased a package of spices or you could even use Mrs. Dash(I prefer low sodium versions). I, also used turkey broth you could use pre-packaged or as I stated above make your own.

(here's the link for this recipe:: Cornbread Dressing Recipe

enjoy. :D

http://www.lesleycooks.com/images/horn_of_plenty.gif

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
With Thanksgiving this week (one of my favorite meals of the year) we are eating really sensibly this week. This is one of my all time favorite salads...
Serves two for a meal and four as a salad with a meal

1 juicy lemon halved
4 firm ripe tomatoes diced
1 red onion finely diced
1 sweet red pepper seeded and diced
1 crushed clove of garlic
Dash of cinnamon
1 tsp sumac (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
3 TLB mixed chopped fresh parsley, coriander and mint
Squeeze the juice from half the lemon, remove the seeds from the remaining half and peel the skin including the white pulp and finely chop. Place the chopped lemon and juice in a bowl and add the other ingredients and toss. Serve immediately. We are having this with lamb kebabs and pita bread.

Cranberry sauce and pumpkin pies done. Who wants to taste test with me??