Recipes...

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been really busy and have not had time to do much cooking lately (I have tons of things ready to defrost and reheat from the deep freezer) But I was thinking about summer and some of my favorite places and I was thinking about a recipe I got for Tarte Tatin in Deauville when I took a cooking class once (this is one of my favorite desserts)

Tarte Tatin

1/2 lemon
5 apples (I like Granny Smith best)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup + 4 TBL sugar

1 batch of pastry (this can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer until ready to use) otherwise make it the night before. This recipe makes two crusts. You can keep one frozen and ready to defrost for about a month.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (chilled and cut into pieces)
1/4 cup cold water

In a food processor combine the flour, salt and sugar add the butter and process until very grainy and coarse (about 10-15 seconds) don't over process pulse until you have the desired consistency. In a slow stream in the feed tube add the cold water and pulse until the dough holds together. Again be careful not to over process. (if the dough is too crumbly add more cold water a teaspoon at a time, if it's too sticky add more flour a tsp at a time..

Divide the dough into two balls and wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into discs. Refrigerate overnight or for at least an hour.

When you are ready to start baking preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Fill a large bowl with water and squeeze the juice from the half lemon into the water. Peel, core and quarter the apples and place in the lemon water. and set aside.

Grease a heavy 8" round 3" deep baking pan with 2 TBL butter.( I have a cast iron skillet that works perfectly) Sprinkle 2 TBL sugar over the bottom and side of the pan. Arrange a layer of apple slices in a spiral pattern on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the half cup of sugar over the apples and dot with butter. Repeat until you have used all the apples and sugar and butter.

On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to about 10" so that it will fit over the apples and about an inch overhang to tuck into the pan.

Bake on the lower rack of the oven (about 35-40 minutes depending on the speed of your oven) The crust should be golden and the apples tender when tested with a skewer. Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes and then invert onto a large baking sheet.

Preheat the broiler (or use a kitchen torch) and sprinkle the remaining 2 TBL sugar evenly over the apples and broil or torch until the sugar is caramelized and bubbles.

Slide the tart onto a serving plate and slice and serve warm.

Reactions: deleted1264960

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You do have a way with words.:smile:

I have to admit the recipe sounds nice too. Never been to Deauville, only been in LeHavre as a favor to an ex. (don't ask!)

I've been thinking about some of my favorite summer vacations and Deuaville is right there towards the top of the list (mainly because of memories with family and good friends) I can't recommend it highly enough. The dessert is super easy too and it's great with a little homemade ice cream.

Did a Veal Roast tonight. Added a little rosemary, thyme and parsley. Sliced warm veal on fresh baked bread with tomato, lettuce , bacon, fried egg (sunny side up) with a dash of garlic, capsicum, onion and spices quickly thrown in the pan on the side. Also made gravy from the juices of the roast. All after my chair collapsing :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ronin001

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of my biggest indulgences is cheese... I don't have it very often but I like eating cheese cake, cheese waffles, cheese biscuits... I love everything from fondue to a grilled cheese sandwich. Given a choice I would pick cheese and fruit and a fresh baguette over almost anything else edible. It's been ages since I've made a souffle and this is one of my favorites...

Raspberry Quark Souffle

*You can't always find Quark in the supermarket so you may need to check with speciality grocery stores in your area.

You can make variations with this I use whatever fresh fruit is available. I usually soak two cups of raspberries or strawberries in 1/4 cup Grand Marnier.

You will also need
1 cup milk, 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
4 TBL cornstarch + 4 TBL flour (sifted together)
5 eggs separated (I usually add an extra egg white to a souffle.
1 1/2 cups Quark (Quark is also called Topfen and is a fresh cheese that is like paste that comes in many fat levels I usually like to use the 20% FDB Quark as it's very smooth with a good consistency for a souffle) If you use a lower fat quark it's very crumbly so make sure it's drained properly. Quark with 40% FDB has an actual fat content of about 11% it's delicious but not the best for baking in my opinion.

Butter and sugar for the souffle pan. (I'm a bit superstitious and have a souffle pan and I only use it for making a souffle) Butter the pan and dust with the sugar carefully add the fruit mixture to the bottom and set it in shallow baking dish and set it aside. Meanwhile start a kettle of water to boil to prepare a water bath. (I don't really believe in a water bath for a souffle but you are only going to add the water up to about 1/4 of the souffle pan rather than halfway as you would for a pudding)

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring the milk to a simmer with the first 1/3 cup of the sugar and the vanilla bean. Dissolve the cornstarch and flour with the remaining cold milk and mix in. Allow to boil until cooked through and thickened and remove the vanilla bean. If you are using smooth higher fat content quark add to the mixture, if it's crumbly and lower fat drain well and push it through a strainer or cheese cloth and add. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Fold the egg whites into the Quark mixture. Spoon the mixture into the souffle pan and and smooth the top so it's flat. Pour the boiling water into the baking dish so it comes about an inch or two up the side of the souffle pan) Bake about 40 -45 minutes. Let cool a minute or two and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve immediately with warm chocolate sauce.

Last edited:

craigsmith

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
2 cups warm water
3/4 cup honey
2 pkg yeast
mix water and honey, sprinkle yeast on top, stir. Let proof for 20 min.
stir in 6 cups of bread flour. Kneed 5 min. I do it in the bowl. Place in greased bowl, let rise 1hour. Punch down, kneed 2 min. Cut in half, press in a retangel form. Roll jelly roll style from short end. Place each loaf in loaf pan , greased pan. Seam side down. Let rise 30 min. Bake 325 for 35 min. You may need to bake longer depending on your oven.

Reactions: ronin001

Matt_x

Legendary Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wish there were a thread dedicated to meals high in protein or diets for those bodybuilders that want to increase muscle mass.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been considering throwing away my bathroom scale and only wearing trousers with a drawstring waist... and dinner tonight is not helping matters but I got my hands on some beautiful crab this morning....

Crab Cakes
5 slices firm white bread with crusts removed
1 cup whole milk
1 pound crabmeat
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro*
1/3 cup fresh dill*
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat parsley*
Juice of half a lemon
1 small red onion finely chopped*
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Vegetable oil for frying (I usually use canola)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs beaten
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs

* I pulverize these ingredients in a food processor
In a medium bowl soak the bread in the milk for about 10 minutes. Squeeze out any excess milk from the bread by pushing through a strainer and return the bread to a clean bowl and add the crab, mayonnaise, cilantro, dill. parsley, lemon juice and onion. Mix with a rubber spatula or plastic spoon and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for an hour.

I use an ice cream scoop and shape them into patties (This recipe makes about six crab cakes) Line a tray with paper towel and let the patties rest for a few minutes so that any excess moisture is absorbed to the paper towel.

I use a heavy cast iron skillet and add enough oil to be about an inch deep. Heat the oil to 300 degrees. Meanwhile put the flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs in three separate bowls. Dip each crab cake first in the flour, then in the eggs and then in the bread crumbs. Fry for about three minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Drain on fresh paper towels and serve hot.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of the things I love best about summer is watermelon; I never tire of eating it... but I like to mix it up different ways one of my favorite is...

3 pounds water melon cut in small 1-2" wedges
1 small red onion cut into small thin half moons
3 limes
1/2 pound feta cheese cut into chunks
1 bunch flat parsley
1 bunch fresh mint chopped
3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound pitted black olives

Put the peeled sliced onions in a bowl with the juice from the limes and let marinate for about a half hour.

Put the watermelon and feta cheese chunks and black olives in a bowl and add the chopped parsely and mint. Pour the onions and juice over and add the olive oil and gently toss so the melon and cheese are not damaged. Add a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Enjoy~

I discovered Stuffing Pull Apart Rolls recently, and they're quite tasty as well as easy

www.seriouseats.com: Pull-Apart Stuffing Rolls

And this is tasty too

Spicy Black Bean Soup
Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (4-ounce) dry-cured chorizo sausage, chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 canned chipotle chile plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
4 cups chicken broth
Sliced green onions, for serving

For the soup: Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, onions, garlic and jalapeno and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the black beans, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and broth and simmer for 25 minutes so all the flavors can marry together.

Blend half of the soup, using either a blender or an immersion blender, leaving some whole beans for texture (I actually skip this step when making it). I put a spoon of plain greek yogurt or sour cream on it, after putting it in a bowl. Yum.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Bump

For those who thought LPSG didn't have any recipes! This thread has so many good ones. Any by nudie are keepers!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Lafemme's Carrot Cake
  • 2 Cups all - purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 3/4 Cups white sugar
  • 1 Cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Cups shredded carrots
  • 1 Can crushed pineapple, drained (14 oz)
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 pkg cream cheese, softened (8 ounce). Do not use light cream cheese.
  • 1/4 Cup butter, softened
  • 2 Cups icing sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth.
  3. Stir in carrots and pineapple. Pour into 9x13 inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Don't panic, the centre will sink a little.
  4. Allow to cool; when cool, ice the cake. You can certainly use your favourite cream cheese frosting to ice this cake, but the one I've included is highly recommended (I usually leave the cake in the 13x9 pan and just ice the top).
  5. To make the frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth; slowly add the icing sugar and beat until creamy.
Optional. Add a cup of chopped walnuts in with the carrots and pineapple. Also, if making a layer cake- double the frosting.

This is the most requested cake I make. Both at home and at work. There are three bakers at the office, but if carrot cake is needed - I'm the baker on top. And my cheese cake. The pineapple makes this cake crazy good. You can also top with toasted coconut if you like.

I think I'll go down the road and buy a couple of chicken breasts, butterfly them, knock up up a fresh spinach, cheese, egg and herbs mix....have chicken and spinach rolls tonight slowly roasted in the oven.

Reactions: AusWang85

AusWang85

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
sounds delicious mate. The herbs make all the diff.

See if you can get some filo pastry. you can wrap them up and then its a real party!

I think I'll go down the road and buy a couple of chicken breasts, butterfly them, knock up up a fresh spinach, cheese, egg and herbs mix....have chicken and spinach rolls tonight slowly roasted in the oven.

Reactions: 185248

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is 'company coming' good. Single-layer, very moist cake with ganche for frosting/icing.
Ganache cake.
q lb unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 (16-oz ) can chocolate syrup (like Hershey's)
1 T pure vanilla extract
1 c all-purpose flour
h c. heavy cream
8 oz good semisweet chocolate chips
1 t instant coffee granules
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat, or the cake will be tough.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don't overbake! (My bake times are longer). Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides. You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze. Decorate with candied violets. Do not refrigerate.

Reactions: TurkeyWithaSunburn

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is 'company coming' good. Single-layer, very moist cake with ganche for frosting/icing.
Ganache cake.
q lb unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 (16-oz ) can chocolate syrup (like Hershey's)
1 T pure vanilla extract
1 c all-purpose flour
h c. heavy cream
8 oz good semisweet chocolate chips
1 t instant coffee granules
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat, or the cake will be tough.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don't overbake! (My bake times are longer). Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides. You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze. Decorate with candied violets. Do not refrigerate.
Humorous note on this cake:
I had friends over for dinner last night and I made this cake. I had the ganache made and asked a friend if she would cover the cake with the ganache while I ran to the liquor store for some more gin. I got back, and it looked beautiful. The surpise came when I cut the cake after dinner and found that she hadnt seen the waxed paper and peeled it off before she frosted it. We all laughed because we had all had enough gin. We laughed again watching each other lick ganache off pices of paper. So, was there too much gin or not enough supervision. And we ate the whole damn thing... :)

Reactions: TurkeyWithaSunburn