Recommendations for Australia Travel

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'll be in Sydney in 2 weeks and I'm looking for things to do. I have a gym at my hotel, but recommendations for gym/fitness activities (yes, I know it's winter there) would be great. Also -- recommendations for legitimate massage therapists would be great because 15 hours in coach might just be the modern definition of Hell. By 'legitimate massage therapist', I mean ownership of a massage table and no ads on rentboy.com.

Thanks in advance.

clav2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can't offer any help with fitness stuff, but welcome to Sydney anyway. I'm sure you'll enjoy the city (provided the current rain finally stops!). It's not really winter...well, not as you know it in Denver. Be prepared for some quite warm daytime temperatures and lots of sunshine. Autumn/winter are my favourite times of year here (I'm from Ottawa originally, so I know about "real" winter too). Get out on the harbour, take in an opera or concert at the Opera House, if you're nuts and fit enough, climb the Harbour Bridge. Eat some nice seafood beside the harbour at Catalina or Pier (both in Rose Bay), watch a rugby league or Australian Rules football game. If you've time, take a trip/tour to the Hunter Valley 2hr north of Sydney and taste some nice wines, or down south to Wollongong (1hr) for some spectacular scenery and great beaches...speaking of which, a picnic on the beach (Palm Beach north of Sydney is a personal favourite) is nice, even in winter. Sea's a bit chilly, so I wouldn't plan on surfing, unless you bring a wetsuit. I hope you have a great time.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'll be in Sydney in 2 weeks and I'm looking for things to do. I have a gym at my hotel, but recommendations for gym/fitness activities (yes, I know it's winter there) would be great. Also -- recommendations for legitimate massage therapists would be great because 15 hours in coach might just be the modern definition of Hell. By 'legitimate massage therapist', I mean ownership of a massage table and no ads on rentboy.com.

Thanks in advance.

I've been to Australia several times, including trips to Sydney. Be sure to take a camera with you and wear good walking shoes.

Visit the Powerhouse Museum; here is a link to one of the exhibitions:

The Boulton and Watt engine

There are also other interesting museums, including the mineral museum.

See the Anzak Memorial and the various things in the near-by park.

Tour the Roman Catholic Cathedral, including the crypt.

Visit the Queen Victoria building and the other historic buildings in the area.

You might find the Pitt Street Mall interesting.

There are many good small restaurants, including ethnic restaurants, in the Oxford Street area, which is also the gay area.

See the Sydney Opera House and, if possible, see an opera.

Take the walk over the superstructure of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. That should definitely not be missed!! In my gallery is a photo of me on the walk, with the Sydney Opera House in the background.

All the above are within walking distance of each other, assuming that you have no problem walking a few miles.

Be careful crossing streets; driving is on the wrong side. However, drivers are pretty good about stopping for errant pedestrians; it is not socially acceptable there to hit pedestrians.

If you can arrange it, spend an extra week or so in Oz and tour Tasmania in a rental car. That's really the only way to tour Tassy. However, you may have problems unless you are experienced with driving a right-hand drive car on the wrong side of the road and are used to round-abouts. Tassy is one of the states in Australia and is a large island just south of the mainland. There are many interesting and historic things to see all over Tassy. Be sure to have a brolly with you since there could be considerable rain.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh geeze I spend 20 hours on a badly air conditioned plane and only have 2 precious weeks in such a vast and wonderful place as Australia, and I am thinking of spending time in the hotel gym! I hope a koala bites yer bum!