Recommended SLR digital camers

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dave NoCal, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    We are thinking about having a new camera be our main combined Christmas gift this year but are unsure about what to get. Neither of us is trained in photograpy but both like it. I used to have a Nikon N2000 35 mm but, like alomost everyone else, we now love the conveninence, flexibility, and economy of digital. We have been getting by on an antiquated HP that has, I think, 2 megapixels:=(
    We want to get enough camera to be satisfied for a few years and be able to learn with without going overboard. Features wanted are optical zoom and time lapse for sunsets and such. I think we want to stay with a $1000 budget. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
    Dave

2. formerex

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i love my nikon d300. it is gorgeous and gets incredible color. i think it's perfect between keeping it pretty high feature set without splurging for something super professional.

3. thedudeinu

thedudeinu Member

Albums:
    Get a Olympus PEN E-PL1
    It is a great camera portable compare to those huge SLR cameras and it also shoots HD video!

4. DevonTexas

DevonTexas Well-Known Member

Albums:
  5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are so many really good DSLR cameras to choose from it's hard to go wrong. I love my Nikon D300s and the whole Nikon line in general. I have always had Canon digital cams in the past and they are equally good. Olympus and Pentax and Sony (ex Minolta), are great as well. It comes down to what feels good to you.

I brought one of the new Sony Alpha 55 cameras for a friend while I was in Canada last month and it is bloody beautiful, but a bit to small for my hands. He loves it though.

If you want to stay under a thousand, a D300s blows that budget all to hell. I'd say a Canon EOS Rebel XSi or evn better a Nikon D3100 with 1080p video would be good starters. They come kitted with 18-55mm zoom lens and at the price, you can afford to by another lens and a bag and stay under 1000$. I'd buy just the Nikon body and upgrade to the 18-200 lens if you can swing it. You hardly need any other lens with that and it is very sharp.

Draft saved Draft deleted