Recurring Grievances in Intelligent Discussions

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ever hear the same tired claim or objection that makes little to no point, over and over again? For example a couple of mine are:

"That's a generalization." So what? There is nothing wrong with generalizations....in general. This is probably my number one pet peeve in "intellectual" discussion. We all make generalizations, in fact, you can't glean any useful information without generalizing. How can you make sense of the world on the fly without lumping together large samples? "Not ALL people/things/xyz is like 'so-and-so'" Of course a generalization doesn't mean every single one. By its very definition it doesn't mean everyone. You'd be better off not attacking the use of generalizations, but finding out if the generalization is more or less true or false. That's where you attack generalizations, not generalizations in and of themselves.

Here's another one I have a problem with. Diluting Nazism. Everyone's a Nazi now. Don't agree with a certain figure or institution? Brand them as Nazis. Can't come up with a cogent and intellectually honest criticism of an opponent? Accuse him or her of simply being a Nazi. This is a sickening tactic that sadly is becoming more and more of a trend, probably due to the electronic media, but you'll so often hear it from very seemingly intelligent people, even high officials with cache. Just because you don't like something does not make it Nazism. Please refrain from this comparison when not appropriate which is in 99% of the time, you diminish the very claim. (also applies to "fascist").

Another one is that the media can't possibly be liberal because it's owned by big corporations. And? This seems like a non-sequitur to me.

Do you have any personal ones you can add?

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe Madame Zora was right - you two really are the perfect couple.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Another. "It shouldn't matter the cost. If it saves one life we should do whatever it takes." This is unchecked emotionalism. Despite a noble sentiment, it most likely ignores some inherent economic cost/consequence that in fact could very well be more costly than the problem they are trying to solve. In this case lives, so they very well may be arguing to sacrifice three lives to save one unbeknownst to the very crusader.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Sep 27 2005, 01:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Sep 27 2005, 01:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock@Sep 27 2005, 02:24 PM
the world is full of people who make the german nazi party look like a WI embroidery circle.
[post=346940]Quoted post[/post]​
Does the hair add to the mystique, herr doktor? :p
[post=346942]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Explain to me, just what does the Dr&#39;s hair have to do with your lack of response to the "nazi" statement? Chimera, you love all this white, supremist, corporate, money grubbing, illegal, corrupt, criminal white boy, exclusive club activity occurring in Washington don&#39;t you? Even though they wouldn&#39;t walk across the street to piss on you if you were on fire. Why wouldn&#39;t they? Because they don&#39;t care about anyone who can&#39;t/doesn&#39;t contribute to their polictical, personal wealth. White poor southern trash fares no better than poor "negroes" in their playbook. You, Chimera are even lower than poor, black, stupid black folks. Why? Because you are poor and white....and too stupid to be rich.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 27 2005, 07:24 PM
the world is full of people who make the german nazi party look like a WI embroidery circle.
[post=346940]Quoted post[/post]​

It&#39;s a cultural exchange program. We gave Hitler ideas about how to annihilate a civilasation, so he returned the favor. Some of our politicians are following the playbook. Good thing we Merkins care more about hairdos.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 28 2005, 02:44 PM
no, seriously. what is people&#39;s obsession with my hair on this forum? I don&#39;t get it. chimera is a little young to be going bald, so it can&#39;t just be simple jealousy.
[post=347175]Quoted post[/post]​

Your hair is hot, you sexy beast&#33;

People use flaccid insults when they have nothing of value to say, that&#39;s all.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Sep 29 2005, 12:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Sep 29 2005, 12:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KinkGuy@Sep 28 2005, 12:44 AM
Explain to me, just what does the Dr&#39;s hair have to do with your lack of response to the "nazi" statement?
[post=347083]Quoted post[/post]​
My implication was that he was one of the "...people who make the german nazi party look like a WI embroidery circle." ;)
[post=347322]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I&#39;ve hardly had a chance yet.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Sep 28 2005, 06:43 PM
I don&#39;t think I have switches colors too much during my stay here. :happy:
[post=347337]Quoted post[/post]​

People such as yourself rarely "switches" colors.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay, if we&#39;re all done evaluating Dr. Rock&#39;s locks, I have a grievance in our discussions. it&#39;s "In MY experience.....". While I love the fact that someone thinks their one little view of the world equals universal truth....ugh, you get the point. Anecdotal evidence is very nearly worthless and it drives me nuts. I wouldn&#39;t mind someone telling of their experiences if they wouldn&#39;t go on to attempt to apply it as universal, verified factual reality based on their own limited experience. It&#39;s the old "because it&#39;s like this for ME, it must be true for everyone." -note americanised punctuation, are you happy now?

My second favorite, and a very close second at that is "What to the women think of...?"
Like there&#39;s some inner lpsg voice that knows what ALL WOMEN WANT&#33; No one ever gets it that women are individuals just like men. They keep seeking to find the ONE answer that will work for every woman on the planet, and it is constantly stupefying.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Sep 29 2005, 01:54 AM
Okay, if we&#39;re all done evaluating Dr. Rock&#39;s locks, I have a grievance in our discussions. it&#39;s "In MY experience.....". While I love the fact that someone thinks their one little view of the world equals universal truth....ugh, you get the point. Anecdotal evidence is very nearly worthless and it drives me nuts. I wouldn&#39;t mind someone telling of their experiences if they wouldn&#39;t go on to attempt to apply it as universal, verified factual reality based on their own limited experience. It&#39;s the old "because it&#39;s like this for ME, it must be true for everyone." -note americanised punctuation, are you happy now?

My second favorite, and a very close second at that is "What to the women think of...?"
Like there&#39;s some inner lpsg voice that knows what ALL WOMEN WANT&#33; No one ever gets it that women are individuals just like men. They keep seeking to find the ONE answer that will work for every woman on the planet, and it is constantly stupefying.
[post=347415]Quoted post[/post]​

Having climbed slowly and painfully to the top of Mount LPSG so that I may hopefully seek guidance from the Great LPSG Guru, I say to him humbly:

"Oh, great MisterMark&#33; What do women want?"

"Be afraid."

"Be afraid? Women want us to be afraid?"

"No, my son. Be afraid that Madame Zora will read this and get pissed off&#33;" :spank:

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick
Another. "It shouldn&#39;t matter the cost. If it saves one life we should do whatever it takes." This is unchecked emotionalism. Despite a noble sentiment, it most likely ignores some inherent economic cost/consequence that in fact could very well be more costly than the problem they are trying to solve. In this case lives, so they very well may be arguing to sacrifice three lives to save one unbeknownst to the very crusader.
This brings up another grievance: that you can&#39;t put a cost on human life. In an economic sense, uh, yeah you can. What that number is, I don&#39;t know, but it&#39;s false to believe that you can&#39;t put a price tag on a particular life. Human life may have infinite value in a philosophical sense, but the basis of economics is that resources are finite hence there&#39;s a cost associated to life as well.