Red Cross Fined 4.2 Million Dollars

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

No serious health consequences? They're kidding, right?!?

2. SteveHd

Gold Member

Depends upon one's perspective: donor verses recipient.:wink:

3. Vein Man

Vein Man Member

Totally unacceptable breach of duty of care. bad enough as it is but in a country where you actually PAY for blood from the Red Cross it is even worse.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

What I'm interested in is where is the money for the fine coming from, and to whom is it being paid? I donated to the Red Cross after Katrina, and I'm none to excited about my donation going to pay a legal fee- especially if it's going to "the government".

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Yes you are right The Red Cross is a rip off . They raised millons for 911 Very little money went to the people Its sad.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I encourage everyone who likes to give to give to Oprah's Angel Network.

Oprah covers 100% of all adminsiotrative costs to operate the charity so that every penny of every dollar give touches the intended people, unlike other charities including the Red Cross, which are only required to make sure that a small fraction of donations ever reach actual people. Sad.

More:

Can We trust The Red Cross

7. stud_hunter

stud_hunter New Member

Ha! You're right of course. Based on that article there has to be some serious health consequences there. That's like the Pres. saying the terrorists want to hit us here and there and on the subways and bridges and airplanes and water supply, and they want to kill all of us, but don't worry we have it under control.... It's like they want to scare us just enough so we vote for them to protect us, but not enough that they take any flack for the problem to begin with. ARRRGGG :mad:

8. jfrsndvs

jfrsndvs Member

Albums:
    not only for 911 but for other disasters as well, I used to donate blood on a regular basis, but, it got to the point that they acted like it was more trouble for them to take my blood, anymore the only way I will donate blood is I know of someone personally (especially a child) that is in a life saving need.

there is another thing that I think is wrong in my opinion, gay men are not allowed to give blood to the red cross, they think that only gay mens blood contains HIV or Aids, with all the "Testing" that they supposed to do, it wouldn't matter if the donor is gay or straight.

another organization that I have gotten disgusted with is Salvation Army, here the local Salvation Army has got so damn picky with the donations of clothes and other items, if the clothing is not a name brand in brand new condition then they don't want it, when it comes to tv sets, they have to be color with remote control and cable ready. there are other charities that have got to that point the past few years.

in my opinion, if some family lost everything in a fire, they shouldn't be concerned that the donated clothes aren't designers clothes or if the tv is remote control or not, I would think that if a family that lost everything, they would be greatful just to receive anything at all. all they want anymore is just financial donations, quite sad that charities have to be ungreatful sons of bitches.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Yeah. It's a shame as I, for one, am Blood Type O and can save a lot of lives.

Maybe since they have the ban on giving blood if you have had sex with a man, that is why they weren't bothering to TEST the fucking blood?

More on Gay Men Banned from Donating Blood.

10. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Up here in The Great White North the Red Cross got out of the blood
    donation business because of the tainted blood scandal.
    Seems they were importing blood from U.S. correction facilities,
    and not testing it. They got sued , of course.

11. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    all this, and they'll still refuse blood from any guy who's ever had sex with another guy...

12. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've heard other rumors about American Red Cross bigwigs behaving arrogantly and somewhat dishonestly. This case sounds like just another example.

Its a bummer whenever I found out about a charity or relief organization that is fudging its funding figures. It reminds me of the scandal some years ago when the chairman of United Way was caught embezzling hundreds of thousands of bucks for his own use. United Way fired him and I think he did prison time but I'll never donate to United Way again. I hope the same is not true of the American Red Cross.

13. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I have my charities that I like. The Red Cross has not made the cut. Years ago between seasons I went in and asked if they needed help over seas (I would pay my own ticket etc..) There were no conditions where they sent me or what I would do but they refused telling me they only use paid staff. They did offer me a volunteer position telemarketing to raise funds (one would assume to pay their staff.:rolleyes: )

Draft saved Draft deleted