Red Hot Chili Pepper's new single.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm not sure how many Red Hot Chili Peppers fans there are on this forum but I found that they have released a new single: The Adventures of RainDance Maggie

Okay, so have you listened to it yet, or already listened to it?

I wanna be the first to say I don't like this new single. I love the old stuff, but these last two albums have been lack luster at best. Maybe they're trying to evolve their music, I just don't like it.

The new single has a track time of 4:44. The only parts of the song that don't bore me to tears is the guitar over the chorus. And the only reason it's any good is because it sounds like a total rip off of this song's guitar.

I am not saying they did use the same guitar parts, because music has been being written for a long time and some of us might use something from another song by accident, or in homage.

All I'm saying is the best thing about "Adventures of Raindance Maggie" is that it reminds me of another song in certain aspects. Which is fine because now I'm listening to David Bowie and not the Chili Peppers.

Anyone agree, disagree? Thoughts?

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
For my taste they peaked on BSSM and this is definitely continuing that trend. Bland. Wonder how much is due to Frusciante leaving? Suppose they were already dull before he split.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
For my taste they peaked on BSSM and this is definitely continuing that trend. Bland. Wonder how much is due to Frusciante leaving? Suppose they were already dull before he split.

I agree, and I think Frusciante leaving probably had something to do with it.

It just sucks to see a childhood favourite fading away rather than burning out like a big bright star.

Super Nova baby.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not sure how many Red Hot Chili Peppers fans there are on this forum but I found that they have released a new single: The Adventures of RainDance Maggie

Okay, so have you listened to it yet, or already listened to it?

I wanna be the first to say I don't like this new single. I love the old stuff, but these last two albums have been lack luster at best. Maybe they're trying to evolve their music, I just don't like it.

The new single has a track time of 4:44. The only parts of the song that don't bore me to tears is the guitar over the chorus. And the only reason it's any good is because it sounds like a total rip off of this song's guitar.

I am not saying they did use the same guitar parts, because music has been being written for a long time and some of us might use something from another song by accident, or in homage.

All I'm saying is the best thing about "Adventures of Raindance Maggie" is that it reminds me of another song in certain aspects. Which is fine because now I'm listening to David Bowie and not the Chili Peppers.

Anyone agree, disagree? Thoughts?
It is a rip off. It reminded me of The Prettiest Star right off. I like this version better from the Aladdin Sane album 1973 with Mick Ronson on lead guitar.
David Bowie The Prettiest Star

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's the version I was looking for, I couldnt find it on youtube for some reason.
Aladdin Sane is a fantastic album from start to finish. From hard rock, pop to jazz. Its great. If you like Bowie it well worth your while to get it. You won't be let down. It had and still has a profound influence on music today. Even the album cover look has been ripped off by Lady GaGa. Here are few of the tracks and album cover.

Cracked Actor - David Bowie

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane

David Bowie - Lady Grinning Soul

Last edited:

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree, and I think Frusciante leaving probably had something to do with it.

It just sucks to see a childhood favourite fading away rather than burning out like a big bright star.

Super Nova baby.

I don't think John leaving really has much to do with it. Josh, John's replacement, was the primary collaborator on John's solo records for years, and he join the band to tour the last record.

I'd venture to say that the RHCP being around for over twenty years probably has the most to do with it.

Blessings

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'd venture to say that the RHCP being around for over twenty years probably has the most to do with it.

I suppose that could be an issue, I just think that's a cop out... Most of my favourite bands have been around for MORE THAN 25+ years and not only are they still touring, they're still making kick ass records.

RHCP is just loosing their touch I guess.

Thanks for reposting the link Mem!

:biggrin1:

*Snakey, I'm still working on my collection, David Bowie is on my list after I get everything Marc Bolan ever did.

>:p Collection!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suppose that could be an issue, I just think that's a cop out... Most of my favourite bands have been around for MORE THAN 25+ years and not only are they still touring, they're still making kick ass records.

*Snakey, I'm still working on my collection, David Bowie is on my list after I get everything Marc Bolan ever did.

I am a big T.Rex fan. I have everything. He was making a comeback before his tragic death. He had a hit T.V. show. Bowie was on the last show. Here is a clip of a song that they wrote together. It is cut short because Marc fell off the stage. It was not aired or reshot because of a strike going on with the B.B.C. cameramen. Marc was off drugs , but still drinking. Sadly he was killed in a car crash not long after. Here is the video. Amazing guitar work from Bowie and Marc.
T-Rex - David Bowie & Marc Bolan (1977 Marcs Show)

Last edited:

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Perhaps. I also think that the fact that they've made a very concerted effort to move away from their early sound could be part of the issue as well.

Blessings

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The RHCP definitely had a sound that was more unique than the other stuff that's been popular since 1983, but it seems like they're trying to be more conventinal or "pay homage" to other songs within their new songs.

This works for some bands, but not RHCP.

And Snakey, I've seen all the episodes and stuff from "Marc", Mr. Bolan's TV. BTW, the part of the clip they cut off (where Marc reaches for the mic and slips) is funny, and Marc has his little grin. So cute.

I first heard of T. Rex maybe 5 years ago. I have all Cassettes and CDs, but I'm still trying to acquire all the vinyls and a large portion of concert posters I can find.

There aren't too terribly many artists I would go through all this trouble for (Except Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, Marc Bolan, XTC, David Bowie and a few others)

Rock merch is expensive sometimes, but it's a piece of music history.

I love it.

As for Marc's come back: I am so fucking sad that he died, the songs he was putting out just before he died (Dandy in the Underworld) is awesome, and you can see him making a musical transition. It sucks we'll never get to see what Marc Bolan had in mind for rock n roll.

Snakey did you hear about that weird coincidence?

His death and certain aspects of if can be picked out of certain T Rex songs.

"Easy as picking foxes from a tree." - Solid Gold Easy Action.

If I am not mistaken the car crash that killed Marc involved crashing into a tree. Also that the word FOX was actually part of the car's license plate. I think that if Marc had stayed with June instead of Marrying Gloria he wouldn't be dead.

It's just hard to say how things could have turned out.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The RHCP definitely had a sound that was more unique than the other stuff that's been popular since 1983, but it seems like they're trying to be more conventinal or "pay homage" to other songs within their new songs.

This works for some bands, but no RHCP.

And Snakey, I've seen all the episodes and stuff from "Marc", Mr. Bolan's TV. BTW, the part of the clip they cut off (where Marc reaches for the mic and slips) is funny, and Marc has his little grin. So cute.

I first heard of T. Rex maybe 5 years ago. I have all Cassettes and CDs, but I'm still trying to acquire all the vinyls and a large portion of concert posters I can find.

There aren't too terribly many artists I would go through all this trouble for (Except Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, Marc Bolan, XTC, David Bowie and a few others)

Classic rock merch is expensive sometimes, but it's a piece of music history.

I love it.

As for Marc's come back: I am so fucking sad that he died, the songs he was putting out just before he died (Dandy in the Underworld) is awesome, and you can see him making a musical transition. It sucks we'll never get to see what Marc Bolan had in mind for rock n roll.

If I am not mistaken the car crash that killed Marc involved crashing into a tree. Also that the word FOX was actually part of the car's license plate. I think that if Marc had stayed with June instead of Marrying Gloria he wouldn't be dead.

One thing I can say is that the music of Marc Bolan and T. Rex inspires me more than any other music. There is something pure about Marc Bolan.

D_Harry_Pitz

Experimental Member
Media
I've got to agree that this is not their top song. And I'm sure it has everything to do with the absence of frusciante. I just checked on wikipedia on which records frusciante was in the band, and I noticed I only put on those records.

But if you compare it with some of the other popular rock these days, it's still an okay song.

It's the problem every band that is around for a while has to face, they have to compete with their own previous material.

D_Harry_Pitz

Experimental Member
Media
just saw the cover artwork of the new album, I have to say I like it a lot.
RHCP-Im-with-you.jpg

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

This works for some bands, but no RHCP.

Classic rock merch is expensive sometimes, but it's a piece of music history.

I love it.

One thing I can say is that the music of Marc Bolan and T. Rex inspires me more than any other music. There is something pure about Marc Bolan.
Marc stated more than a few times that he would die young. Thats a fact. Marc also did not drive. He had more than a few cars. His favorite being a Rolls Royce. He was to use this car the night he died. However it was rented out to a movie studio for a few days. Instead he and Gloria used a mini van to go out that night. He may still be alive today if the Rolls Royce was used. Gloria is a good woman. It is her who has kept his legacy alive all these years. He also made some great music with her on keyboards and backing vocals. If you listen to the lyrics to his songs (from very early on) he knew he would die very young. It came to a point when T.Rex needed a change in the direction of their sound.. And Gloria brought that. They made some great music together. When i have time i shall post about The Bowie Curse.

Last edited:

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Marc stated more than a few times that he would die young. Thats a fact. Marc also did not drive. He had more than a few cars. His favorite being a Rolls Royce. He was to use this car the night he died. However it was rented out to a movie studio for a few days. Instead he and Gloria used a mini van to go out that night. He may still be alive today if the Rolls Royce was used. Gloria is a good woman. It is her who has kept his legacy alive all these years. He also made some great music with her on keyboards and backing vocals. If you listen to the lyrics to his songs (from very early on) he knew he would die very young. It came to a point when T.Rex needed a change in the direction of their sound.. And Gloria brought that. They made some great music together. When i have time i shall post about The Bowie Curse.

I knew about that, except about the Rolls Royce; which is my favourite car as well. This makes me even more sad though.

Yeah, I know Gloria and Rolan have been keeping the legacy alive and I also think that Gloria was involved with a lot of my favourite songs, and I don't judge much by charts by any means, but when I think of Marc I always think of June because she was there for the largest part(so to speak).

And I don't think I could ever imagine a Marc any older than he was, maybe that's a piece of the magic about him, but I wish we could have gotten more from him. More than Top of the Pops and that commercial stuff.

He had more to say but didn't get the chance.