rednecks show big bulges and dont care who look between their legs.......

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'd always understood that redneck meant farmer, which in the South means hours in the hot sun every day and a sunburn (for most white people) on the back of your neck from March until October.

My uncle's and grandfather's necks used to be dark brick red every year from spring until fall and then merely reddish-brown through the winter.

NCbear (who's sure that "ruffnecks" and "rednecks" are exposed to similar environmental conditions, but who's not sure whether they're actually the same word or derived from the same term)

Ding, ding, ding . . .

NCbear has the correct answer. Especially if they wear a t-shirt while working and sport that oh-so-sexy farmer's tan. Though the term has been expanded and applied to any poor or working class, uneducated, unsophisticated, generally rural, socially conservative, gun-toting, six-pack chugging, usually Southern person - or any combination of the foregoing criteria (see Sarah Palin, better yet, see Levi Johnston) - and it's often used to disparage all Southerners.

Of course, like all stereotypes this off the mark. The truth is there are ignorant people everywhere - and as NC demonstrates, just because you are country, does not mean you are stupid. Speaking as someone who has recently returned to the rural South after a lifetime on and off in cities and on the Left Coast, as someone who can move easily from uptown to down home, I will take a Southern country boy over a city slicker any day. I'm sure NC knows just what I'm talking about. Yeehaw!