Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
A neighbors husband died 2 months ago and has this 250 gal reef fish tank that I've always admired, She wants me to have this. This is an awesome tank and she does not want to sell the fish and equip back to the fish store for less than 50% of what he paid. In the folder of equip I saw receipts that totaled over $10,000 for the equip alone that does not include the $3000+ of everything in the tank. She has this service that comes and does all the maintenance and it is prepaid till next June. she won’t take a penny from me partly because she has $$$$ and she would like to see it every now and then and she trusts and likes me and my wife and her kids live in Southern Calif and they don’t want the tank. She in no rush to have it professionally moved to my house, she wants me to study up on it prior to me taking it and I've been reading allot.
Anyways to my question;
Does anyone know of a good reef tank website??
I've visited a few but is there one that's just the best.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
One of the best places to go is to her place when the service is providing maintence to the tank. Go with lots of questions and have them explain everything they are doing, and why, and what would happen if not done, to you. Visit several times and you will learn alot. I would also make the person who performs the maintence a person I can call on. I would also keep up the contract and have them come to help me out....in other words you perform the service while they walk you through. 250 Gallons...lots of water, and lots of weight..make sure you have a floor capable of supporting all the weight. Relax and enjoy the tank and its occupants..

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm wondering how you'll go about moving it into your place without at least buying another tank to store the inhabitants in while you take the tank apart and put it back together again in your place. If you end up buying another tank for this purpose, and don't balk at the idea of having two tanks set up in your place, consider setting the other as a planted freshwater aquarium. The equipment won't be nearly as costly, and you'd be amazed at how beautiful freshwater planted aquariums can be. I know it's not much of an answer to your question, but I thought I'd give you something to consider.

Anyway, there are several magazines out there for aquariums, and at least one that is specific to saltwater. All the others are about half fresh and half salt, so you won't have trouble finding information. I really have no knowledge or experience with saltwater, but if you get interested in the freshwater planted aquarium idea, get in touch with me. That's more my forte. Oh, and besides fish, there are a bunch of interesting other critters that will do well in a freshwater planted aquarium, such as freshwater shrimp and dwarf crayfish in many colors, and even the dwarf African frogs and some newts.
:)