Regional foods you miss

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by justmeincal, Oct 16, 2009.

1. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I grew up in the midwest. There is a local chain called Maid-rite. They serve loose meat sandwiches. I ate them a lot growing up and wish I could find an equivalent here in California.

Anyone else miss any local foods from their younger days that you can't find now?

2. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

I love Jewish Deli's, corned beef and pastrami sandwiches. YUM

But they are a dying breed here in NYC. Maybe 3 left, and they arent like i remembered....

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Okinawan Sweet Potato and Haupia Pie, Can't get Okinawan sweet potatos on the mainland for some crazy reason. Also I had a friend in college from St. Joseph MO and they make a candy there called a Cherry Mash, can't find them anywhere in the east. I don't even know if they exist anymore.

4. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't grow up on the east coast, but I visit New Jersey every summer to see relatives, and I do love the delis out there. Nothing quite like them out here on the Pacific coast.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

White Castle. :redface:

6. JustAsking

Gold Member

Living in the midwest now, I miss the genuine Italian Grinder sandwiches found around Southeastern Connecticut. The geographic center of these delicacies is New London, CT. I am sure it would be disputed, but the exact epicenter might be Patsy's Market on Bank St. Although some time has passed since I've been there, and these things drift like the earth's magnetic north.

I also miss the NYC style pizza that was made by all the Greek pizza shops along the coast of CT. It is close to the Neopolitan-Manhattan style, which I am sure I would love just as much.

Finally, I miss Rhode Island clam chowder which looks like used dishwater, but tastes great. I think I still have sand in my teeth after these many years.

7. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

I wish we got Waffle Houses in Scotland. I could murder a cheesestake from one of them!

8. Principessa

Gold Member

#8 Principessa, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nude, I forgot all about Cherry Mash bars! You can still order them at:
    Cherry Mash: America's favorite cherry flavored candy bar

Mem, I miss White Castles too.

NHQT, I've never had a lobster roll. Its on my To Do list.

I also miss Steak and Shake chiliburgers and breaded pork tenderloins.

It's probably a good thing I left the midwest or I'd def. be overweight by now.

10. BuddyX

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As a Brooklyn native, I miss Wise potato chips. Nothing matches those excessively salty slices of fried ambrosia. I have yet to find an equivalent on the left coast.

11. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Oh I miss Tastykakes too and Drakes cakes. It's all Little Debbie here (cheap but always has an odd artificial taste). Sometimes stores don't even sell Hostess products here.

12. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I miss my Rhode Island clam cakes and fish and chips. Can't find it made the same way anywhere. My first stop tho everytime I go back home is the New york System (oddly enuf) for 'hot weiners'. Hot dogs w/steamed buns, a marinated and crumbled meat, sauted onions, celery salt. They are amazing. I jave 6 or 7 right after I get back to town EVERY time! If the NYS is closed I got to Matt Lauer's other fave..the Haven Brothers truck downtown for the other version of them. Matt loves them somuch he brought the Haven Brothers truck to NYC for the Today Show.

13. invisibleman

Gold Member

Why not order some Tastykakes? http://www.tastykake.com/

But as far as Hostess Cakes are concerned:

SOURCE: FAQ Hostess Cakes
    "I can't find my favorite Hostess product at local stores. What should I do?
    Unfortunately, your local store may not currently carry your favorite Hostess product. Consumer demand usually determines which products make it onto store shelves. You may mention the snack cake that you are trying to find to the store manager where you shop. Usually, managers are cooperative and might be willing to order the snack cake for you.
    We are sorry but we cannot process individual orders and ship our products directly to you."

#13 invisibleman, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think there's a White Castle at the corner of Sunrise and Powerline, but it might be Krystal's. Are they similar?

I miss really good blueberry muffins: they are only made with the right combination of whatever-it-is in eastern Massachusetts. Here they're too sweet and tend to be either too mealy or too spongy :frown1:

And the Chinese food from a real Chinatown is infinitely better than the inconsistent, MSG-laden slop available here.

15. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I had Krystals twice and it is not half as good as White Castle. They do have WC frozen in the supermarket, but they are not very good.

Another thing I miss are good bagels and really good pizza. I've had very good Chinese food at a few places here in South Florida, but they sometimes surprise you with a strange twist on some classic dishes.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

Thanks for reminding me. :rolleyes: I do miss Entenmann's and Tastykakes.

17. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I don't like to buy food by mail. :biggrin1: Anyway, I don't crave them as much as I miss them being there whenever I wanted to buy them. I will be back in the northeast around Christmas.

18. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Another thing I miss are Sub Shops. There is an amazing one in the town next to where my parents live. For $4.50 you get a sub with 4 Italian meats (some I can't pronounce or spell) and cheese and toppings. It's about 10 to 12 inches for the half sub and it's got about 3/4 of an inch of fresh sliced good quality deli meat on it. Their roast beef is perfectly rare. Down here I have not found one decent sub shop.

19. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Long live New England clam Cakes and the NYSystem! Oh did I say that already?! Ok the salt water taffy!

20. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    California: Dungeoness crab. You can get it on the east coast but not nearly as fresh and plentiful.

Chicago: Giordano's Pizza. Best stuffed pizza ever.
    Harold's Chicken Shack. It's how Fried Chicken should taste.

Pittsburgh: Pierogies. Large Polish population so they're everywhere.

Finland: Viili. Similar to yogurt and kefiran. Pulla and/or korvapuusti, a sweet, cardamom-flavoured bread.

England: Abbot Ale. Red Leicester and Double Gloucester cheeses. Cottage pie.

Maine: Clam chowder and fresh broiled lobster.

Draft saved Draft deleted