Registry Problems Wiping Out Office Installation

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My little guy clicked on the wrong link on our desktop which has Windows XP, and loaded our computer up with viruses.

I used the recommendations for HellMan from this website and managed to eliminate the viruses.

For some reason, the computer keeps giving me the message that Office 2003 needs to be reinstalled, even though I've reinstalled it. After using the particular application, I then get the same message the next time I need to use the same application. After reinstalling Office 2003 successfully (and using the apps) 3 times, I've given up.

I COULD take the hard drive to the shop, but am motivated to fix this problem myself. It seems that the registry on the computer needs to be reloaded, but the backup disk did not accomplish this.

Is there a good website from which I can reload the latest registries?

Thanks!

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
You might try this: Go to control panel/add/remove programs and check if it shows Microsoft Office as being already installed. If so, remove it then reinstall it from you installation disk. If it doesn't show it then check online for a program called regCure(www.regcure.com).

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My little guy clicked on the wrong link on our desktop which has Windows XP, and loaded our computer up with viruses.

I used the recommendations for HellMan from this website and managed to eliminate the viruses.

For some reason, the computer keeps giving me the message that Office 2003 needs to be reinstalled, even though I've reinstalled it. After using the particular application, I then get the same message the next time I need to use the same application. After reinstalling Office 2003 successfully (and using the apps) 3 times, I've given up.

I COULD take the hard drive to the shop, but am motivated to fix this problem myself. It seems that the registry on the computer needs to be reloaded, but the backup disk did not accomplish this.

Is there a good website from which I can reload the latest registries?

Thanks!
All it takes is one registry key to be missing and thats it. Other than a clean reinstall of the operating system, nothing can be done. Back up everything you want to keep before hand. I would still scan for viruses in the safe mode using Malwarebytes. Update it first and choose drive c. Its the best out there and its free. Going by what little information you gave thats all i can say.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Last edited:

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When an application is installed, it creates all of the required registry keys. Running the application reads and updates those keys. If one key becomes corrupt or is lost, this can affect the operation of the application as you describe. There are a few ways to get the keys back :

• Try a repair installation of the application
  • Uninstall / reinstall the application
  • Manually add keys (risky)
  • Fresh isntallation of everything (time consuming and affects a lot of other things on your computer)
As a first step, maybe you could try these :

How to install or repair and reinstall Office 2003 programs and features

Use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003

They will only affect Office 2003, not your entire PC so it might save you a reinstallation of Windows etc.

Bear in mind that Office 2003 has had several service packs. If the above works and you are able to sucessfully remove & re-install Office 2003, run Windows Update to get the latest service packs for Office 2003 before you attempt to use it fully. It may take a few iterations of running Windows Update to ensure your PC is brought back up to date with all of the appropriate updates - some patches are installed then immediately superceded by another patch etc.

If you get any specific errors running the above, please post back here with error codes / messages etc - the more detail, the more chance someone will be able to help you.

Good luck.

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks, all. I'll try out the recommendations in the next day or so, and report back. Wish me luck!