Regrets

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov, Feb 12, 2010.

1. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov Account Disabled

This is my poor translation into English of a French piece written by Robert Masson, naturopath. It is just the first part. I hope some of you can enjoy reading these lines...

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cast your regrets into the fire.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes, you've deceived your friends.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes, you've abandoned your children.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes, you've neglected your old mother.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes, you've made that someone suffer who loved you so much.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And yes, you've missed that unique chance in your life...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And so what?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Our whole life is marked by foolish acts, because nothing is more human than making mistakes, nothing is more human than doing evil while meaning to do good, nine out of ten times. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You believe you were the only one to be so stupid, so bad, so clumsy...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My dear friend, if only you knew what lies underneath the surface of the very persons whom you most admire, you would be so much more reassured about yourself, for, obviously, the movie of your life wouldn't come across as so bad, by comparison.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And who knows if the evil you've involuntarily committed wasn't necessary in the long run? It's impossible for human beings to predict the future, the long-term consequences of their actions upon the evolution of other beings and things.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The important thing is to learn from the lessons of the past and not to start again with the same mistakes, and above all to reject every notion of guilt and regret which will disturb your current life and ruin your aptitude for happines and your right to health. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You see, those regrets aren't only harmful, but probably they're also unjustifiable, because [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]you are who you are...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You didn't choose to be that way, you didn't choose your character and your temperament, that was given to you by your ancestry and your life conditions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If your parents and your mode of existence had been different, you, too, would be a different person.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I don't mean to say that human responsibility doesn't exist. What I'm trying to say is that it is quite relative.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]So please, do me a favor: take small pieces of paper, as large as a visit card, and write on each one a regret, a failure, a pain, a worry, a disappointment, a grief, a torment that you've gone through in your life. When you've written down everything, when you've freed your heart from everything that was weighing on it, make a small – oh sorry – a large heap and then – here is a most solemn hour for you – set fire on it and as the flames go up, give out a huge laughter that will make the stars shake above you.[/FONT]

R.M.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Thank you for sharing that. You should not apologize for your translating skills; I think they are excellent.
    In terms of actions I am from the school of individual responsibility, I was taught very early that we have to feast on a banquet of consequences based on our actions and decisions.
    As far as the bad decisions; I believe I made the best possible decisions at the time. Sometimes things worked out and sometimes they did not, but both offered the opportunity to make other decisions and take other actions.
    One true regret of my life is that my father and I were not able to put our differences with each other aside sooner before he died. I am happy we were able to meet on common ground I just wish we had not wasted so many years before we did.

Draft saved Draft deleted