Regular books VS. E-Books/Kindle

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by elegant20, Jul 19, 2011.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

It is just something a regular book can no longer place technology. I remember saying to my dad when my birthday was coming up that I was not interested in Kindle. But he kept his salesman pitch: "But the kids are still using them. It is latest thing since the Comodore or Pac-Man." I right away said, "No." I still said no is answer. So when my birthday came, guess what he brought me: Kindle. Something had zero use for. And when I did use it...I felt my eyes bloodshot and done away with it. And happily return to my books. Yes, the old paperback or hardcover.....never feeling the need for technology like E-books or Kindle. Something about the feel of an old paperback is just something that could never replace technology of today. It is one of those things that when you read a real book at hand, it is just that feeling that is certainly missed today. Yeah, with all the crazy technology we have, I still retort to the old books of paperbacks and hardcovers. It is just something about them that puts a smile to my face that Kindle or E-Books cannot. It is the feel of a real book. Anybody think about that at all? Just wondering or is it just me?

#1 elegant20, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I like books, I like looking at them on the book shelf, I like holding them, I like reading the dust jackets I like falling asleep while reading them and having to find the place I left off. I have an ipad that I use when I travel (for newspapers) but I still have a book with me.

3. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

Audiobooks do not bother me at all, they serve a niche purpose and can provide a unique form of entertainment.

eBooks.... I would never read text off a screen when given the alternative of ink on paper. I like the feel of books, how they look, how they smell, bending the spine... they're sort of sacred to me.

4. alx

alx
    Gold Member

I prefer books but for easy I keep ebooks on my phone. It's just easier, convenient, and discrete. It has some major advantages.... But still prefer books.

5. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    We publish ebooks. Printing them out at home is always an option for those who have bought one. We also have a partnership with a site called Smashwords where you can order books print-on-demand.

Inventory of print books is always a hassle, but many of our authors will stock up on print copies before going to a convention. For ease of reading anywhere, paper books have a place they will never lose. It makes an author feel good to have a shelf full of their own books too. They make lovely door prizes and such

--but remember that all books today have likely been composed, typeset and distributed by computer! The ebook readers reflect that truth. And they save trees.

My first original novel is coming out this month and I cannot wait to start promoting it, but I am unlikely to make myself a print copy.

6. redz_rule

Gold Member

I was very resistant at first, but I love my e-reader now - I can buy a book in seconds when the mood takes me and I never lose my place! I agree though - real books just 'feel' better.

7. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

My parents had asked me if I was interested in the Nook and I told them that I wasn't. I have a vast library of books and now I also own about 1,000 e-books. I got the Nook Color for Christmas. I love my paper back books and I love my ebooks each for separate reasons. I still bring paperbacks outside or to the beach with me. But my Nook Color does so much, I love it. I love having all of my fave books in one little thing - it's freeing.

8. bonerrific

bonerrific Member

I read this as regular boobs vs e-boobs.....

I'm disappointed :(

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I like them both

There is something about holding an ancient leather bound book with gold inlay and a ribbon bookmark, autographed by its author, and I'm thinking of my philosophy treatise autographed by Jose Ortega y Gasset

or, knowing that my copy of Not Too Narrow, Not Too Deep was in the MGM library and probably handled by the screenwriters for Strange Cargo (1940)
    starring Clark Gable, and contemplating what might have been my interpretation and final screenplay, had I been holding that same book at that time and place

And, I do wish I knew where my childhood illustrated books authored by Albert Payson Terhune, Rudyard Kipling, John Lewis Carroll, et al, are -- I'd love to feel those hardcovers and enjoy those illustrations, again

But, if I hear of some exciting new exposition of ideas, it's nice to be able to download them from wherever I may be, and have them before me nearly instantly.

#9 B_Nick4444, Jul 19, 2011
  10. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    I must admit I have not used an e-reader. I love to visit book shops and book exchanges. There is a little shop not far from me and it's floor to ceiling books, something about how quiet it is when I enter. How the distinctive smell of books, old and new prickle the imagination and is calming at the same time. I have my favourite authors but I like to walk around between the shelves, choose a book at random, scan through to see if it captures me and put it back if it doesn't. Many a good story has included a little old bookshop.

Plus I spose you can throw a book, drop a book, stuff a book into a bag... be hit over the head with a book, all without breaking. You can lose both a book or an e-reader, depends which is simpler and more cost effective to replace.

#10 vibrationzzz, Jul 19, 2011
  11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Some things I prefer having the physical book for, especially if they're instructional books that I use for reference when I work. Others I can deal with the download. I don't think I would ever see myself going completely for one over the other... that is, until companies forego print so much that I have no choice in the matter.

I personally like the Kindle to some degree. In fact, that would be a much better way for people in schools and colleges to get their textbooks. A Kindle with a bunch of digital downloads (which are usually much cheaper than the print version) is a lot more cost effective than purchasing physical books and dealing with the sellback at the end of the year. When I took a few adult courses in NYU, each course had the option of purchasing a digital copy of the book at nearly 50% off the price of the printed version. I didn't have a e-reader, but I did have my laptop and they offered PDF versions of the textbooks. Saved me a lot of money.

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

correction in red

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

There is nothing better than holding a book in your hands. I am currently reading a biography on Winston Churchill. It is a little over a 1,000 pages. I simply can't put it down. A wonderful book about a great man.

#13 Mr. Snakey, Jul 19, 2011
  14. eddie63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I prefer reading a book. There is just something about holding it & turning the pages, maybe it's just the old school in me.

15. mako shark

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Stopped reading books a good while back but after getting my Kindle I've never looked back. The thing is great for travelling on my many plane trips!

16. luka82

Gold Member

I love paper!
    But reality has taught me otherwise:(

17. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Sad to say, but I tend to read more for work and business rather than leisure. Because I have a bad habit of cracking open my books, taking notes inside of them, and writing all over them, they'll never go out of style for me. I wouldn't drop a hundred plus on an electronic device that I can't write and annotate within.

18. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I pack a couple books every time I take a trip, but since the iPad is in there for other reasons, I can read from it as well. It's great for reading e-versions of newspapers, but it is no substitute for the real thing on Saturday morning.

19. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    i take a physical book over ebook anyday

20. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I'm reading a book, and come across a word I never saw before, I have to go look it up. When that happens on my Kindle, I push a button, and the definition pops up. Fantastic. When I'm reading a book and highlighting it, the book is permanently defaced. If my husband wants to borrow my used textbooks from my Kindle, I simply go in and delete my bookmark and highlights. A kindle using E Ink does not strain the eyes at all. I was waiting at the doctor's office and finished a book. So I went to the main menu and pulled out my school book and did some reading for class. When that was done, I used the Kindle to go online and post to my class discussion. Still waiting, and out of activities, I went and bought another e-book. I'm sorry, but paper just doesn't have those options.

Draft saved Draft deleted