Regular books VS. E-Books/Kindle

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sad to say, but I tend to read more for work and business rather than leisure. Because I have a bad habit of cracking open my books, taking notes inside of them, and writing all over them, they'll never go out of style for me. I wouldn't drop a hundred plus on an electronic device that I can't write and annotate within.
You can write and annotate with Kindle. You can also highlight.

seeksthequestion

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I prefer and I'm sure I will always prefer hard copies of books over electronics version. I however have started to use a kindle as where mainly because of the amount of books I own which takes up many, many bookshelves and was literally causing me to run out of space. So now it is a balance between the two formats.

I also like e-reader as a tool for individuals who might have a hard time finding a publisher or the money to self publish. It has become an alternate way to get your work out there without having to have lots of capital or have access to a large publishing company.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I love my books and will never give up on them. However, I like the convenience of a Kindle, especially when it comes to travelling - saves me packing a heap of paperbacks. The ideal situation for me would be to have physical and electronic versions of all my books - one set to enjoy at home, the other while away, a bit like my music collection. Who knows, one day, when you buy your physical book, it may come with an option to download the e-book.

D_Adam_Baldwon

Account Disabled
Media
I can't make up my mind whether I should go and buy a kindle. I'm an avid reader and my bookshelf is filled to the brim. So that got me thinking about buying a kindle. Also, I heard the books are cheaper, too. But you need to charge it if the battery runs out or it could freeze temporarily. At the same token, I love the tangible aspect of just holding or even folding back a good paperback. Has anyone bought a kindle? How does it compare? Is it worth it?

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have only used a Kindle for a few minutes, but I found it far more satisfactory as a substitute for a 'real' book than I had expected.
The Kindle belonged to a friend who was skeptical when he bought it but is now a real convert.
He travels a lot and carries dozens of books on his Kindle. Makes everything easier.
The pages are very legible ... credible substitutes for real type.
You can change the size of the font and I believe do searches in the text. (I think I remember this, but not sure.)
And anyway ... you're going to get a Kindle at some point. You can bet on it. Amazon is already selling more books in digital form than hard copies. So might as well get into the groove sooner rather than later. You'll be able to carry an entire library with you, and pay less for each of the books.
I plan to buy one when I get a bit more scratch.

Tank30

Expert Member
Media
I tried it on my tablet. I just could not get use to it. Don't get me wrong I think Kindle is a great idea. I just love holding a real book in my hands when I read.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't make up my mind whether I should go and buy a kindle. I'm an avid reader and my bookshelf is filled to the brim. So that got me thinking about buying a kindle. Also, I heard the books are cheaper, too. But you need to charge it if the battery runs out or it could freeze temporarily. At the same token, I love the tangible aspect of just holding or even folding back a good paperback. Has anyone bought a kindle? How does it compare? Is it worth it?

I merged your thread into the existing one of the same subject. I personally like books. However when I travel I like to have all my reading material condensed into a tablet.

I love reading. I grew up spending insane amounts of time in libraries because my mom did volunteer work for them. I love going into book stores, whether they're new or used. I like having an unopened book in my hand. I enjoy having a used book that may have bits of writing in it here and there in my hand too.

With that said, I freaking love my Kindle.

If I like a book/book series, I typically want to own it. Since I can sit down and read a 900 page book in three hours, this can be a bit problematic. I also tend to read two or three books at the same time. As a person who has lived in apartments and houses through leasing them, I tend to move once a year, sometimes every 6-9 months. Moving books is a complete and utter pain in the ass. I've donated books to used book stores every time I've moved. I'm mostly now down to books that I can't bear to part with, which still fills a floor to ceiling book case.

My Kindle easily fits in my messenger bag with my DS Lite, my iPod, and all sorts of various stuff that I like having with me when I travel. I like not having to use both hands to hold a book open when laying on my side curled in bed, and turning pages with a tap of my finger. Yes, I love my various techie gadgets. Yes, I love physical "regular" books. I will continue to occasionally purchase physical books, though I think mostly those purchases will be confined to graphic novels/comic books.

tl;dr I like both :biggrin1:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have had e books for about 8 years. I do not like the Amazon model. About a year and a half ago in error they recalled books, only to back down. When you buy a hard copy they can't do it. I was in Asia and tried to access new books I bought, something happened and it locked me out. When I tried to talk to customer service I was told that their hours were......not when I wanted them. At home, we lost power for over a week during the hurricane. Tough to read when the battery is out of juice.

I love that people are chiming in just to call "bullshit" on how fast I read. Which isn't what this thread is about at all. However, since you felt the need to do so...

I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which has 896 pages (according to my Google-fu in looking it up) in about 3.5 hours. Roughly 14 seconds a page. Pardon me for not being exact :rolleyes: It isn't like I claimed it was some serious business technical manual or anything. I tend to get through brain-candy (typically fantasy with some sci-fi or historical fiction mixed in) novels very quickly. I was given a ton of grief when I was a high school student in English too. Why? Because my teacher didn't believe I had truly finished in-class reading assignments in the amount of time I did. Every single time this was brought up I took the stupid fucking comprehension test and got 90-100% every fucking time. When I was a whole lot younger, as a home school student I had to take yearly assessment tests to make sure I was progressing the way I was supposed to. I had a college reading/comprehension level when I was 10. Fuck off :smile:

It would be highly unfortunate if I had a power outage for an extended amount of time right when my Kindle's battery was about to die. The odds (knock on wood) of that happening are fairly slim however. I haven't had any problem getting books either, but then, I live in the USA. Anyway, as I said before, I like my e-reader and real/physical books too for different reasons

Last edited by a moderator: