Reid demands Bennett apology for "racist" remark

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr. Dilznick, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Sen. Harry Reid Demands Former Education Secretary William Bennett Apologize for Radio Comment

WASHINGTON Sep 29, 2005 — Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and other Democrats on Thursday demanded that former Education Secretary William Bennett apologize for remarks on his radio program linking the crime rate and the abortion of black babies.

Bennett responded that the comments, made Wednesday on his "Morning in America" show, had been mischaracterized and that his point was that the idea of supporting abortion to reduce crime was "morally reprehensible."

The author of "The Book of Virtues," answering a caller's question, took issue with the hypothesis put forth in a recent book that one reason crime is down is that abortion is up.

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," Bennett said.

He went on to call that "an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

On his show Thursday, the anti-abortion Bennett said he was "pointing out that abortion should not be opposed for economic reasons any more than racism ... should be supported or opposed for economic reasons. Immoral policies are wrong because they are wrong, not because of an economic calculation."

Reid, D-Nev., said he was "appalled by Mr. Bennett's remarks" and called on him "to issue an immediate apology not only to African Americans but to the nation."

Rep. Raum Emanuel, D-Ill., said in a statement, "At the very time our country yearns for national unity in the wake of hurricane Katrina, these comments reflect a spirit of hate and division."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1171232

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Bennett was way off the mark.

I've yet to see a crime committed by a black baby.

3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yikes.

Bill Bennett picked a poor way to try to make a point.

SG

4. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I think we should abort all pregnancies for the next 25 years or so at least - maybe then we'd stand a chance of getting our population under control.

5. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

A black baby stole my dingo.

6. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Your Jewish brothers would be hated like they were during the Reich.

7. jonb

Gold Member

Average 150 IQ? Um, how? Just how? Seeing as all IQ is is a percentile.

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

A black baby stole my dingo.
    [post=347839]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I thought I heard a cry in the dark.

9. brainzz_n_dong

brainzz_n_dong New Member

What's more, if you listen to or read the entire caller-Bennett thread, it began as one dealing with social security. The caller's point was that if we'd not had legitimized abortions these past 30+ years, we would have many more people paying into the social security system and that would help the solvency issues.

Then things moved on to the book "Freakonomics", by Steven Levitt. One of his chapters states that the drop in violent crime rates can be traced to a drop in violent criminals and the author traces that to the Roe v. Wade decision that has resulted in the abortion of some people who would be born to poverty and hardship and otherwise more inclined to a life of crime - so believes Steven Levitt.

And you can read 'the rest of the story'.

I wonder, at the end of the day, if Harry Reid will instead ask Steven Levitt to apologize to all Americans for introducing the premise to begin with??

10. jonb

Gold Member

Actually, the social security problem can be traced to borrowing from the social security fund and forgetting to pay it back. Bush has essentially bankrupted it.

11. Matthew

Gold Member

You know, if we just killed everyone, the crime rate would really go down.

What a bright bulb that bennett is

12. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I'm waiting to introduce that initiative once people are used to the abortion one

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

I'm waiting to introduce that initiative once people are used to the abortion one
    [post=347908]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I'm printing up my "Dr Rock for dictator" buttons even as we speak.

If we hadn't been allowed to abort unwanted pregnancies, especially in lower income households, we'd have more people ON welfare, not paying into it, duh! These people are morons. From an economic standpoint, unwanted preganacies once born become unwanted PEOPLE who will be uncared for, neglected, and highly likely to grow up to be criminals. Duh again. What the religious right fails to acknowledge is that just birthing huge numbers of people into the world creates all kinds of problems that are easily enough avoided when women are educated about birth control and encouraged to use it.
    Lack of education leads to breeding huge numbers of stupid people and a tax on the system, then those very same stupid people think they have a right to bitch about the system being taxed. What horseshit.

I'm all for a twenty year ban on birth.

14. SUMYUNGUY

SUMYUNGUY New Member

It's a shame that stupid people are too stupid to prevent pregnancy...

15. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I find it funny/ironic/absurd that the same entities that the left argues don't have a claim to life all of sudden however constitute being part of a "race" when politically expedient. Hilarious.

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, abstinence is the only sure fire way to prevent pregnancy, and I sure as HELL am not going to accept that as my only alternative.

I've been advocating birth control since before you were alive, so apparently you have some reading to do if you think it's an intelligence issue.

17. Matthew

Gold Member

It's almost as funny as the author of "The Book of Virtues" talking about aborting black babies. His mistake was potentially alienating his right-wing constituency by inferring a positive outcome of abortion. It would be more consistent for him to suggest that the babies be born, and then kill them.

I agree, he shouldn't be made to apologize. Let him keep running his mouth - he's the perfect advertisement for right-wing social policy.

18. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I'd say that the criminality issue has more to do with familial structure than innate genetics, but that doesn't negate his point that because crime rates are proportionately higher in the black community that eliminating that segment of the population would decrease the crime rate. He wasn't advocating it, in fact he was rejecting the concept of promoting reprehensible means to achieve some positive ends.

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't see Bennett's comments as being quite that simple to write off.

I was disappointed that a man of Bennett's leadership experience and intelligence failed to anticipate what a shitstorm of hurt his "hypothetical example" would stir up. Like him or not, he commands a large audience and he should use better care in how he makes his points.

I was also dismayed how casually he turned to the black skin=crime theme to make his point. The book under discussion, "Freakonomics," points to poverty as contributing to higher crime rates but does not mentions race. Why then did Bennett so quickly use a racial example?

This is like the Trent Lott episode all over again. I expect better of our leaders.

SG

20. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I don't see Bennett's comments as being quite that simple to write off.

I was disappointed that a man of Bennett's leadership experience and intelligence failed to anticipate what a shitstorm of hurt his "hypothetical example" would stir up. Like him or not, he commands a large audience and he should use better care in how he makes his points.

I was also dismayed how casually he turned to the black skin=crime theme to make his point. The book under discussion, "Freakonomics," points to poverty as contributing to higher crime rates but does not mentions race. Why then did Bennett so quickly use a racial example?
    [/b][/quote]
    Bennett was making the argument that simply because the empirical relationship is scientifically proven, doesn't prove that legalizing abortion is morally acceptable. And to underline this point (which is correct), he extrapolated from Levitt's research and gave a more extreme proposal, which would also be empirically true, but which even the most ardently pro-choice person would agree is morally wrong. The argument he made--taking an argument to an extreme to demonstrate its shortcomings--is a technique that has been used in debates from time immemorial. Only the most mindless Democratic hack would think this is a racist statement. It's only making headlines because of what it sounds like he's saying out of context.

Draft saved Draft deleted