Relationship stress and physical fitness

bi_todd

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
For me, relationship stress motivates physical fitness. I've had this scenario happen several times in my life. The pattern is familiar enough that I can easily recognize it now.

When I find myself in a stressful relationship with emotions in turmoil, my focus on diet and exercise intensifies. I think this is for several reasons:

* Relationship stress raises my metabolism. I sleep less and eat less when stressed.

* Regular exercise becomes a stress reliever and survival mechanism during relationship stress.

* Taking charge of diet and exercise restores a level of control to my life when I'm feeling out-of-control during relationship stress..

* I look better with good diet and exercise which raises my self-esteem during relationship stress.

Stress is obviously not a good thing for emotional and mental health, but from a physical perspective I've never been more fit than during times of relationship stress (some would even describe me as 'hot' during such periods without knowing the backstory). At least this pattern leads me in a good direction (away from stress) instead of a downward spiral (i.e. those who eat more and gain weight during stressful times).

Predictably, however ... when the relationship stress eventually resolves, my good diet and exercise habits also diminish. I'm certainly happy for the return of emotional balance, but with some regrets about physical fitness.

Do others experience such pendulum swings? Any advice to share on the fitness side of things?

Reactions: 985154

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Eating less and sleeping less sounds weird.

When you sleep less, the balance between the "I'm hungry" and "I'm full" chemicals get out of whack, and you should end up eating more than you realize.

Exercise is a very good idea if you are depressed. This is third hand information, but I was told that if you are clinically depressed, the first thing they tell you is "quit smoking and exercise more." Or am I thinking of bipolar disorder? Sorry. I'm not a psychiatrist. :p

Reactions: sangheili90

For me, relationship stress motivates physical fitness. I've had this scenario happen several times in my life. The pattern is familiar enough that I can easily recognize it now.

When I find myself in a stressful relationship with emotions in turmoil, my focus on diet and exercise intensifies. I think this is for several reasons:

* Relationship stress raises my metabolism. I sleep less and eat less when stressed.

* Regular exercise becomes a stress reliever and survival mechanism during relationship stress.

* Taking charge of diet and exercise restores a level of control to my life when I'm feeling out-of-control during relationship stress..

* I look better with good diet and exercise which raises my self-esteem during relationship stress.

Stress is obviously not a good thing for emotional and mental health, but from a physical perspective I've never been more fit than during times of relationship stress (some would even describe me as 'hot' during such periods without knowing the backstory). At least this pattern leads me in a good direction (away from stress) instead of a downward spiral (i.e. those who eat more and gain weight during stressful times).

Predictably, however ... when the relationship stress eventually resolves, my good diet and exercise habits also diminish. I'm certainly happy for the return of emotional balance, but with some regrets about physical fitness.

Do others experience such pendulum swings? Any advice to share on the fitness side of things?
This actually sounds familiar. My husband and I ran into trouble a few years back and a lot of missunderstanding and it caused so much stress my diet improved, I tripled my exercises routine and became all around more healthy except for my increased lack of sleep and emotional strain. I When the issues were sorted I got soft again. I think there might be a mindset that takes over and it is literally preparing you for a fight, though your mind might not understand that it isn't physical.

C41ara

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I run almost every day, and it relly helps in every situation, if you're down you can stress out and if you're happy you feel free

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Exercise is a very good stress reliever and grants many a feeling of accomplishment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18787373

In this study you'll find that low intensity aerobic activity actually decreases the stress hormone, cortisol. With knowledge like this you can apply this to routine which would seek to relieve stress and be healthier overall. What you described with your metabolism being revved up and being more energetic, while also sleeping less, is a sign of elevated cortisol levels.....which is not something you want to maintain in the long run.

Though this has nothing to do with relationships, whenever I've gone through periods in my life where some "traumatic" life event occurs I tend to be more motivated to achieving my goals. I think for me this is a combination of the fact that it helps distract me from other issues I my life and also acts as a source of accomplishment. I try to avoid becoming complacent in my life and I've found that every time I start leaning towards that something will pop up to get my ass back into gear.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Exercise is a very good stress reliever and grants many a feeling of accomplishment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18787373

In this study you'll find that low intensity aerobic activity actually decreases the stress hormone, cortisol. With knowledge like this you can apply this to routine which would seek to relieve stress and be healthier overall. What you described with your metabolism being revved up and being more energetic, while also sleeping less, is a sign of elevated cortisol levels.....which is not something you want to maintain in the long run.

Though this has nothing to do with relationships, whenever I've gone through periods in my life where some "traumatic" life event occurs I tend to be more motivated to achieving my goals. I think for me this is a combination of the fact that it helps distract me from other issues I my life and also acts as a source of accomplishment. I try to avoid becoming complacent in my life and I've found that every time I start leaning towards that something will pop up to get my ass back into gear.

Reactions: bi_todd

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Doesn't matter what kind of stress it is. When I'm stressed I eat less. Exercise stays the same. My wife's the opposite. When she's stressed she eats.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In this study you'll find that low intensity aerobic activity actually decreases the stress hormone, cortisol.

I can attest to that. When I'm under a lot of stress, I go for a slow long distance either walking or light running and it helps.

Doing a hard weight or metcon workout does not help my stress at all. It just makes me tired and grumpy.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can attest to that. When I'm under a lot of stress, I go for a slow long distance either walking or light running and it helps.

Doing a hard weight or metcon workout does not help my stress at all. It just makes me tired and grumpy.

Doing both is definitely beneficial, one builds up strength and overall fitness, the other one is great for health, recovery etc I'm pretty active with my training routine but go for a 30 min hike every evening, it is very relaxing.