Relationship with best friend just got weird

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The way I see it, it's like this. Unrequited love and one way feelings happens all the damn time between friends, be they straight or gay or bi. Doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter to me that it's my closest friend. You guys are right. If anything, it makes it much easier for me to gain some persceptive. It's obviously been unbelievably hard for him to overcome these feelings and try living a lie, keeping his girlfriend. He didn't choose to be gay and he didn't choose to develop feelings for me. But that's life. It's happened, and I know that he needs me now more than ever to help him along.
:clap::clap:

You're one in a billion. He's incredibly lucky to have you as a friend and it's obvious why he'd develop feelings for you. Lucky for you, you'll be studying abroad come June (was it June?) and that'll give you both the perfect opportunity to clear your heads and get past this. The time apart is exactly what he needs to get over you. Much healthier than simply ignoring him until he's no longer gaga. Just remember to keep up regular correspondence while you're gone!:biggrin1:

Also, I agree with countryguy, introduce him to the site. Perhaps we could help him deal with his sexuality issues? Who knows, maybe he'll find a[n endowed] person he really connects with.:wink:

My best goes out to the both of you.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well all I can say YBNB is that Ryan is a lucky guy to have you as his best mate. You have handled the whole thing perfectly. :smile:

YBNB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well guys I'm just off the phone with him.

We had a bit of a laugh about the whole thing, but accepted that it's happened and it's real. He knows it's not gonna go any further and must accept that, but he seems more relieved that it's out in the open and I'm not pissed.

We couldn't chat for long, but we're gonna hang out when he's home on Friday, just as we usually would.

matt_6_18

Experimental Member
Media
WOW! awesome story I'm 27 and gay and this has happened to me so I know how he feels. Just continue to be his friend and act like nothing happened because you know he will feel ashamed and uncomfortable about the whole thing. He may act like it is'nt bothering him but he will still have feelings for you unfortunatly and I think they will fade though. I think this is just a way he came to grips with his true self and came out to you because your his best mate he was drunk and in denial but he could'nt take it anymore obviously and had to tell you how he felt. He cares about you and you know he just needed to come clean.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hi YBNB,

I have been following your situation and can say that you are a wonderful person with a good heart. Obviously your friends sudden statement, caught you off guard as it would with any one. You have show great maturity in the way you have dealt with this situation, not only on a personal level, but you have encountered others emotions and feelings along the way and for this you are to be commended.

I am so pleased that everything has resolved in a positive light and I am sure many great life's lessons have been learned along the way, not just by you, but for everyone concerned. Let us not forget it is these situations and the way we deal/cope with them, makes us the person we are. Well done my friend you're a great friend to have in anyones eyes.

I wish your friend well and every happniness in his newly found self, I am sure the way you have dealt with and stood by him has helped him in more ways than one. May your friendship continue as before, knowing he trusts you enough to tell you his deepest secret. To him that was very important and you responded as he hope you would.

Talk great care my friend.

Sincere regards

Smartalk

Last edited:

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
There is a massive difference in having love for someone and being in love with someone.

He may well need to know you 'have' love for him, as a friend, a brother and that hasn't changed.

But you are not 'in' love with him and that won't change either.

He's probably just as afraid of loosing you as you are of loosing him, but understand, what he did took a degree of courage and bravery, all be it drunk, that some men never find in a life time.

When I was younger and was in a similar situation, I chose to destroy the friendship with my best mate, as having him walk away from me hating me for something I did was easier to bare than to have him walk away from me for who I was. I miss him still to this day.

Good luck mate, be strong, be kind, be the friend you've always been.

I can't tell you how much it hurts if you loose a mate that close.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
And I can't tell you how much I appreciate knowing that there are people like you out there!!

Your buddy needs to know how extremely lucky he is!!

Now that he is confronting his sexuality, he is going to need support and sometimes even help from everyone, but at times from those who have been where he is. I know this is a "Hey, look at my cock" site, but it also has some of the most supportive and caring people on it that I have experienced.

Seriously, have you thought about telling him about us, and inviting him here?

How about a cyber handshake for you from me :wink:

amygdala

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

We had a bit of a laugh about the whole thing, but accepted that it's happened and it's real. He knows it's not gonna go any further and must accept that, but he seems more relieved that it's out in the open and I'm not pissed.

We couldn't chat for long, but we're gonna hang out when he's home on Friday, just as we usually would.

Your friend is extremely lucky to have you in his life. Is it any wonder he has feelings for you? I'm so glad that he seems to be coming to terms with all that's happened in the past couple of days and, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here in saying that it's largely, if not entirely, due to your support and continued friendship. You should be proud of yourself. :)

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm glad it all seems apparently worked out. It may be awkward for a bit after, but that will iron itself out soon enough.

As others have said, it would be great to have you as a real friend guy.

I truly admire how you handled the ENTIRE matter.

jerryhall

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Your friend is extremely lucky to have you in his life. Is it any wonder he has feelings for you? I'm so glad that he seems to be coming to terms with all that's happened in the past couple of days and, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here in saying that it's largely, if not entirely, due to your support and continued friendship. You should be proud of yourself. :)

Ditto!

cyto43

Just Browsing
Media

I think you handled this in such a positive way, and applaud you!

The very same thing happened to me during college--only I was the one who had feelings for my best friend. It tore me apart for years, and the best thing we ever did was to talk about it. I knew the feelings were not reciprocal, but we both didn't want our friendship to suffer. Fast-forward 13 or so years, and we're still great friends. It was the best thing we ever did. :smile:
He's really lucky to have you as a friend!

Last edited:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hope you can relax about this... let it go... and keep in mind what you love about your friend.

I went through this with my "best friend"... a wonderful guy, that I simply had no attraction to sexually.

What I love about him is what is between his ears, not between his legs. He is an amazingly talented, creative man and friend.

I absolutely, unconditionally, unforgettably love him, like a brother... but, I'm not interested, sexually.

So... What "nice" thing can we say to someone that is sexually attracted to us, when we aren't? Saying anything about a lack of attraction can totally kill the greatest of friendships.

Grrrrrr!...

When what the right thing to do, is to just tell the truth, and say: "I love you, dude... but I don't wanna do you."... it's a tough and uncomfortable situation... but, we gotta be honest for ourselves, and them.

I finally got the nerve to say so... It was weird for our friendship for awhile, but, it worked out.

We are still best buds!

:) Onan

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamer20

YBNB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just read all the new posts and wanna say thanks to all you guys :D

Top advice, and you're making me feel good about my decision! ha. I told my brother and my dad what happened and they're both extremely weirded out by the whole thing, and the manner in which I'm handling it. Ah, well.

Ryan's still staying with his ex Gf in Edinburgh until Friday. They are done, as I mentioned, but they want to iron things out on their terms, work out where they stand with each other. She still seems pretty upset and has called me a couple of times. I will talk to her, but I have a feeling she resents me somehow.

Ryan I have chatted on the phone like we usually do. Talked for about 40 minutes today, just about complete bollocks really :D Tv, movies. Talked about Wall.E for most of the call. I told him I still love him like a brother, and we even had a wee joke about it at the end of the call. When I said 'are we still on for a few pints this weekend?' he said 'of course. and I promise I won't bum you.' :D I knew he'd use humour to help him.

As things stand, he's still my best friend. Truth be told, I miss the guy, he's been away a week now I think. We even joked about heading to a Gay bar once he's home [now that he's 'out'] which I wouldn't be opposed to!

Ironlion45

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Just read all the new posts and wanna say thanks to all you guys :D

Top advice, and you're making me feel good about my decision! ha. I told my brother and my dad what happened and they're both extremely weirded out by the whole thing, and the manner in which I'm handling it. Ah, well.

Ryan's still staying with his ex Gf in Edinburgh until Friday. They are done, as I mentioned, but they want to iron things out on their terms, work out where they stand with each other. She still seems pretty upset and has called me a couple of times. I will talk to her, but I have a feeling she resents me somehow.

Ryan I have chatted on the phone like we usually do. Talked for about 40 minutes today, just about complete bollocks really :D Tv, movies. Talked about Wall.E for most of the call. I told him I still love him like a brother, and we even had a wee joke about it at the end of the call. When I said 'are we still on for a few pints this weekend?' he said 'of course. and I promise I won't bum you.' :D I knew he'd use humour to help him.

As things stand, he's still my best friend. Truth be told, I miss the guy, he's been away a week now I think. We even joked about heading to a Gay bar once he's home [now that he's 'out'] which I wouldn't be opposed to!

You're a really good and understanding friend.

Just, do him a favour and be extremely careful not to lead him on in anyway, he may intellectually understand what he said, but flames like the one he's been carrying for years don't die easily, and he'll still have a piece inside him that wishes, hopes, wants you to not be straight.

That said, You're a good friend to him, he's really lucky. It could have gone very badly for him.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Reading this thread reminds me of an audiobook that I just finished. It's called “One Mississippi.” It's very funny and very tragic and sad in many ways. Hope someone picks it up for a good listen.