RELIGION .... and homophobia.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
Scottish crime analysts have determined that a lot of "gay hate crimes" are committed by homophobes using religion as a justification for the assaults.
Religious groups however, beg to differ, claiming to love the sinner but to hate the sin!
The religious groups are now threatening to use the relevent Police Authorities for misrepresentation... saying the contraversial use of the Bible in the advertisement is misleading !

SilverSoldier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I feel there needs to be MORE exposure of religious based hate crimes. It's the same premise for pro-lifers murdering Drs. at abortion clinics. It's sick. It's the same attitude and hatred between Irish Catholics and Protestants, the same hatred as Molems and Jews, ethnic cleansing, etc.

If one professes to be a Christian, ANYTHING that is hateful, that inflicts injustice and perpetrates negativity is demonic. Christians say "God is Love." It's time they put their money where their mouth is. Practice what you preach.

My two cents.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I made a poor choice in titling one of my threads, but please see my "This one's for you, Stronzo" thread in Etc Etc... if you want to see some real homophobic stupidity... right here at home.... in your lawmakers' hallowed halls.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Who remembers the names of any of Darwin's contempory detractors?

If you have reason on your side, you tend to prevail in the longer term.

You have won the battle of definition. Discrimination is homophobia and therefore the problem is for the person with the phobia not the object of that phobia.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Homophobia in religion is purely economic. Religion needs breeders to provide offspring for the religion to brainwash. Said brainwashed offspring then provide more offspring for religious brain washing and the cycle continues, filling the religion's treasury. Full treasuries enable religions to guild their places of worship and fund the murder of those who believe differently.

The only interruption in this breed/brainwashing cycle to wealth and global domination for the religious leaders is homosexuality; thus the religious leaders have to denounce homosexuality. Thus not only creating homophobia, but institutionalizing it.

canon

Sexy Member
Media
Of all places that should be free of prejudice and discrimination nothing gets my dander up quicker than when I hear an organized religion expressing their bigotry and stupidity. I despise organized religion. Sorry for rant.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Lordpendragon said:
Who remembers the names of any of Darwin's contempory detractors?
  • Bishop Wilberforce, aka "Soapy Sam" (because he was so smarmy, I think). He's the one who asked Thomas Henry Huxley if he was descended from an ape on his mother's or his father's side. Huxley famously answered that he'd rather be descended from an ape than from someone who misused religion to misrepresent the facts, or some such.
  • Captain Fitzroy, Captain of the "Beagle" (Darwin's actual job was to be Fitzroy's companion), who marched up and down the hall waving a bible at the same debate, shouting "The Book! The Book!" He later slit his own throat.
But they are remembered for their excesses, not for winning any arguments, so your point is still valid.

If you have reason on your side, you tend to prevail in the longer term.
MAGNA EST VERITAS ET PRAEVELIT (sp?) - Great is the truth, and will prevail
- or so I hope, and sometimes it takes a long time.

You have won the battle of definition. Discrimination is homophobia and therefore the problem is for the person with the phobia not the object of that phobia.
Yes, we are winning that one slowly. As gayfolk hide less and less, and more and more people get to know us, they are having less and less time for the old prejudices.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Religious groups however, beg to differ, claiming to love the sinner but to hate the sin!

How many religious leaders publicly put their arms around the shoulders of gay men, and declare that they love them?

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. Blaise Pascal

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
IanTheTall said:
Homophobia in religion is purely economic. Religion needs breeders to provide offspring for the religion to brainwash.
A number of pastors think that Family planning organizations and the availability of abortions ultimately prevent the "breeders" from producing a great number of people who will both be controlled by them and support the church financially. In my locality Pastor Wallace and a number of other preachers with this mentality condemn Family Planning organizations and homosexuality. Abortions are not legal in N.P. though. Those dimwits do not realize that it makes more sense economically to have homosexuals in the fold as they, and the persons who practice family planning, will have more disposable income - part (or all ) of which can even be bequeathed to the church.

N.P.Community Church is one of the few churches sensible enough to see the wisdom of accepting of everyone, as Christ did, and hence prospers. Even moreso because persons turned off by the acidic fundementalist churches defect to N.P.C.C.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Several points:
"God loves the sinner but hates the sin." The actual definition of sin is separation from God, not acts of human beings. Thus, any act is sinful if it searates you from God. What separates me from God may not separate you from God. God is love. Of course God wants the best for us and anytime we make poor choices that hurt us he is grieved. Because if you read the Gospels about Jesus which really tell what is true about Christianity, God dearly loves all people and wants what is truly best for them.

God does know and almost every homosexual knows that being gay is tough in life.

The Bible: The quotes about homosexuality cover two or three sentences in all of the 66 books. In both cases, modern liberal Christians interpret the context to be about the fertility religions. In ancient times, sex was part of some of the religions. God in the Bible condmens that along with using children and women. Sex is not a part of worship.

People are homophobic. The communists were the most homophobic of all and they did not believe in God. Since a majority of Americns claim to be Christian though many of them have never been in a church, it makes it appear that it is Christinaity driving homophobia. In reality, it is people driving the beliefs of their local church.

It is wrong according to Jesus to hate anyone. So anyone homophobic is sinning in the eyes of God. Their hatred of gays drives a wedge between them and God.

As to the remark about preachers not recognnizing gays in public. Hell, many of the pastors in some denominations of Christinaity are openly gay themselves.

My pastor and myself a staff member are very close to a gay couuple. They are openly gay. Both part of our church and have just been asked by me to serve on a committee.

Religion is quite often just the reflection of the people who profess to believe in it. Keep this in mind.

Many people only mean gays they don't know. Family members and friends who are gay don't count. They are OK.

And Freddie is NOT I REPEAT NOT a member of a fundie Christian group that is currently part of the Republican moral issues group. Never has been. Never will be.

Freddie is a proud member of a liberal main line American Christian Church that has little in common with the fundies, very little. We both believe in the Bible, but the belief is radically different, radically different.

Freddie cringes when he hears himself being lumped with the fundies.

Freddie also bellieves that some of those fundies are politicians who are as fake as a three dollar bill when it comes to Christianity.

Jesus taught love, not hate. Peace not war. And I could go on.

If a person is full of hate how can that person be like Jesus?

As much as I love church. I would stay home if only a fundie Church were available for me to attend.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lordpendragon said:
Took you nearly three months to remember though. :smile:

Haha, yes. I have a very good memory, but it is very slow, you see.

Your point is still valid. I just happen to be interested in that time in history.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Homoophobia has nothing to do with the church. People are hojosphic. The non re;igious communicists were the msot hommophobic of all.

People are homophobvic because they are afraid for some reason. I suspect most phomophobic people are closet bis are are afraid if too much eposure of a gay life wil cause them to stumble and act out thier latent tendencies.

Also they despise the fact that they fact members of their own gender appealing. They want to be straigut exclusively, but daman it, ever time there is a good story about two guys doing it, they almost succumb.

Since 80 percent 0f the populatoin is capable to "going both ways" I say it is this 80 percnet when the researches say 80 percent of the population is to some degree bixesual in desires. That eighty person includes people in the pews as well.