religion and homosexuality

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by TheOverlord, Mar 1, 2005.

1. TheOverlord

TheOverlord New Member

I'm just wondering, how many of you follow a religion that bans homosexuality, even though you homosexual?

Or those of you that were religious, but decided otherwise because you are homosexual.

2. jonb

Gold Member

Well, I'm lucky here. I'm Lakota, so while there are a few restrictions on homosexuality (just like there are a few restrictions on heterosexuality), there's nothing innately wrong with homosexuality. So, while I can't suck my brother's dick, I can still suck my friend's dick. LOL

3. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Jon, I feel so lucky to consider you as a friend ... :pals:

4. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The whole thing comes down to morals...churches place more emphasis on certain issues than others, but in the end, sin is sin. I am Baptist, was formerly Pentecostal, but I have learned that it all boils down to the fact that we all make mistakes. If someone is gay, I don't really care. If they are a ho, it's their life that their are ruining. If someone is straight and sleeping around, it's the same thing. It's their morals or lack thereof. It's not up to me to judge, God is the one who does the judging, because I can be judged for something that I've done or not done. YEah, I should be out visiting people in nursing homes, but I don't because those places give me the creeps. I choose not to be a male ho, and not sleep with everything that moves. I've had some gay/bi curious experiences.
    Eh...some were better than others. I can't see that I would ever be in a gay relationship, living with a guy, I just don't have that level of attraction to men.
    Christian churches love anything gay because it's so "taboo," and it's fodder for backroom talk. It's a new topic for churches, they've had to only start dealing with it in the last 15 or 20 years. BEfore, they could always shove it aside, deny it was in the church, but now...it's in their face. Husbands are coming out to wives, children are coming out to parents, Pastors are coming out to congregations.

Churches need to stop focusing on the negative, focus on Christ's message of forgiveness, love, and of spreading the Gospel. If churches would stop being so stupid to things, they could really have a better mission to those who are hurting and might have a good mission to those who need them...the disenfranchised. The church is not for the perfect.

My congregation has started an HIV/AIDS ministry and has just bought two houses that it is renovating into hospices for people suffering with the disease. One will be for single people and one will be a home for a family that is dealing with the disease. Eventually, we will have a couple more homes built on our property.

When churches get the idea that it's not a Sunday morning country club, but actually a seven day a week mission field, and that the people we are trying to reach are not the people like us, but the ones who are NOT like us, we will have finally gotten it. Jesus didn't deal with all the "pretty people", he dealt with the outcasts. In today's world, he would probably be ministering to gay people, homeless people, unemployed people--the ones who need some sort of healing touch from God. As my pastor always says, "to those whom much is given, much is required."

Bottom line...churches need to stop dwelling on one issue and get to work doing what God has called them to do.

5. txquis

Gold Member

Many churches have use *fear* as a motivating factor.
    I would prefer that *love* be a motivator about faith.

I was raised by parents (and in a church) who emphasized love for others,
    and for my fellow humans, rather than hate and fear and guilt.

God and my family loves me, and that is far more powerful in my life than the judgement of American politicians and my conservative neighbors.

I dont like hate on either side of these issues.
    So, i'll close by saying, PEACE.

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I've never been religious and frankly I got no time for it. I've found that it consistently pisses me off and has few if any redeeming features. I have no problem with anyone's PERSONAL religion as long as they keep it personal, but I'm afraid I ain't one of those "tolerance" people - I find ORGANIZED religion to be obnoxious, wilfully stupid and dangerous, and I'm not afraid to say so. I ain't gonna start running around burning down churches and mosques any time soon ... but I'm not gonna shed any tears if anyone else does. as far as I can see, they've had it coming for 2,000 years and more.

7. Knight

Knight New Member

Well my view is that religion (also circumcision etc) should be left for someone to decide and find themselves when they are personally old enough. I'm not homosexua so religion didnt affect me on that pointl but I'm not anti-Semitic or anti-abortion...my therapist just said I'm too laid back for my own good :D

So yeah, my girlfriend also shares the same views, the one just stated and also the view that marriage is basically needless, when I find the one I love (hopefully I've already found her;)) she'll no how much I love her and marriage would just be a social expense, that everyone expects but doesn't mean a thing to the two matrimonees (?). What a girl :D

I dug a comfrotable hole
    In silver linin with the same old same old
    Mona Lisa put a spell on me
    I gotta shake this leafless tree
    And get some peaches for the soul

Can't be so complicated, fly without a net
    Come on and push me baby I dream right off the edge

I need a wink and a smile
    I need to sink my teeth into a sweet fortifier
    I need a wink and a smile
    Baby the sight of you comin down the miracle mile for me

Sorry was listening to this song as I was posting...

8. Onslow

Gold Member

I was a Methodist for years, confirmed in the church at age 12 becoming a full fledged member. One day I decided that I wanted to leave and it took 10 years before they'd let go of me even though they knew I was gay. I even told the minister of the church since I knew that the Methodist Church frowned upon homosexuality and still they wouldn't let go of me. Keep in mind here, that my reason for wanting out of the church was not the issue of homosexuality, my actual reason was that I do not wish to be part of any organized religion since I find too much feuding between the various denominations and sects over who is the best and who has it right etc.

These days I belong to no organized religion although many do interest me.

9. jonb

Gold Member

Jon, I feel so lucky to consider you as a friend ... :pals:
    [post=287537]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    And with you, I never have to worry that you're pregnant or nursing or menstruating. LOL I said it before, I'll say it again: What did you expect? I mean, how much gayer can you get than Lakota clothes? Chaps and a loin cloth?

10. Freddie53

Gold Member

I don't know which Methodist denomination you were a member of. There are several. In he United Methodist Church,Church law states that if a member requests his name to be taken off the roll, it must be done. Now that doesn't mean the members won't keep on inviting you. But then, as the old saying goes that a beautiful woman once said, "It is better to be looked at, then looked over." I hope the members weren't too bothersome in letting you know that you were still loved and welcome. True Methodism does not recognize homosexuality as part of the greater plan God had for humans to mate have children grow old and die, but it does not frown on the homosexual. The official discipline states that homosexuals are of sacred worth. They are welcomed in the church. They can't be ordained ministers, but then ordainced ministers have a lot of credentials they must pass to become ordained.

It is wrong to not welcome anyone into the grace of God. All are welcome to Hs Table. Christian, non Christian doesn't matter. The Table belongs to God, not the Church.

11. Freddie53

Gold Member

And with you, I never have to worry that you're pregnant or nursing or menstruating. LOL I said it before, I'll say it again: What did you expect? I mean, how much gayer can you get than Lakota clothes? Chaps and a loin cloth?
    [post=287768]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Likewise I consider you to be a friend. I believe God goes to every person sometime in his life. All are welcomed into heaven or whatever a religion might want to call it. So Jon I expect to see you there. You spiritualness shows. I look forward to seeing you there along with people all over the world. But if it is all right let's wait a while. At least several more years!

And Jacinto, I consider you a friend as well. I still keep the Pope in my prayers. I know he is a fighter. God has a reason for him to still be here. John Paul is a very wonderful man of God. All people should be proud for what he as done for humanity as the Pope. It has been wonderful. I pray he will be well enough to lead in the Holy Week and especially Easter liturgies at least one more year.

12. KinkGuy

Gold Member

To quote my family (words used during the eulogy at my Grandmothers funeral last week)..."Hate the sin, Love the sinner" while looking directly at yours truly, in front of 90 people. You can't swing a dead cat in our family and not hit a preacher. We don't get along. :evilgrin: :grr:

13. Onslow

Gold Member

The matter of the Methodist Church refusing to ordain homosexuals as ministers in and of itself tells me that they frown upon homosexuality. It can be dressed up in a blue chiffon dress and dance around in new shoes and sing any song you want it to but there is no way I will ever see the Methodist Church itself as genuinely welcoming the gay worshiper. At least not in its current format with its present tenets. Even where they have cobbled together Reconciling Congregations it is merely more face slapping as far as I am concerned. At no place do I see their efforts actually reaching out in the true loving kindness and spirit they allege themselves to posess. This may not be true in a local congregation in and of itself however it does seem to stand true for The United Methodist Church as such as is stated in its own words.

Inititially I was in a regular Methodist Church which then merged with the Evangelical United Brethern (or United Evangelical Brethern, not sure what the name was) in the late 1960s and became the United Methodist. I submitted a letter of resignation on 2 different occasions and spoke directly with the pastor on several occasions regarding my desire to withdraw from the membership rolls, so I did everything that I could to get out of there, what finally took care of it was 10 years of absolutely no communication with them or financial support to them.

As for United Methodist Church law there seems to be widespread discrepancy there as well when one considers the case of the female pastor in Washington State (Karen Damman--spelling?) who was allowed to retain her position despite her homosexuality and the case of the female pastor in Pennsylvania (Irene Elizabeth Stroud)who was removed from her position because of her homosexuality. Until The Methodist Church as a whole can figure out where they stand there is little reason for anyone to feel loyalty towards them. Now, with this said, I am aware that many people do find comfort within The Methodist Church and I am in no way trying to steer them away from what helps with their spiritual grounding. I am only indicating my view of Methodism.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Prepstud, you speak my heart! While I am not in an organised religion anymore myself, I find many good things in the Bible, but too often they are ignored or perverted by most religous leaders. What a shame.

Jonb, I am glad you won't be sucking your brother's dick, but why are you down to 1% homo? I can almost picture you in those gay looking chaps and loincloth!

15. brickbat

brickbat Member

If Jesus were on earth today in the flesh, I think he would make all of us comfortable with His love for us personally. The woman at the well was not Jewish and on top of that, she was a prostitute and/or an adultress. She was transformed by His presence. To me, Jesus ought to be our focus since He and not churchanity is the one that gives life meaning.

16. Dr Rock

Gold Member

if Jesus were on earth today in the flesh, he'd be in jail by now.

17. KinkGuy

Gold Member

jonb,
    IF familial genetics hold true, I'll take care of your bro for you !!!!!! Even if he's also a 1%er, I'll give it a go. :evilgrin:

18. jonb

Gold Member

Oh, I fixed it. Something about the addition of 1%-99% made us all a bit straighter.

And yeah, if Jesus were alive today, he'd be arrested. Oh, wait . . .

If anyone's actually interested, Jesus himself never mentions homosexuality in anything canon. I'm wondering what kind of hermeneutics can explain the modern obsession with homosexuality. Of course, distracting from their own, often very severe, moral failings might be a reason.

19. Dr Rock

Gold Member

you mean the bible doesn't attribute any mention of homosexuality to jesus. I bet he actually said plenty about it, and lots of other things, that nobody remembered by the time they wrote the bible. which is yet another reason why treating the bible as the "word of god" is really retarded.

20. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Well call me retarded, but I do regard the Bible as the Word of God. Jesus never does mention homosexuality, because it's something that doesn't affect your relationship with your neighbor. Jesus summed up the OT laws in His two commandments, they were not about condemnation, but about love. Jesus was all about compassion.

I'm not going to get into details, but the Bible and Christianity have been proven over and over to be true in my life. There have been too many unexplainable circumstances. I even had one incident today. All I know is that my faith is strong, that Jesus loves everyone, regardless of what they are. We have all sinned an fallen short of the glory of God. The long and short of it is that a denomination is a man made entity, and when humans get into the mix, it's going to be a screwed up mess. So stop placing blame on the organization, and focus on God. Maybe if some of you would focus your energy on making the church on earth a better place, some of the hypocrites that run them might see their wrongs.

I'm blessed that I'm in a great church, but a lot of churches have never experienced anything outside their little world. They don't realize that they have gay people in their congregation who are in the closet. They don't realize that they have people with terminal illnesses who have not sinned and been stricken with the disease as punishment. It takes people to educate and open their eyes, but if all people do is bitch about how wrong "the church" is, it can never be corrected. I personally think Jesus would flip if he saw how a lot of the preachers are, but instead of always condeming why not try to make a positive impact on what could really do something tremendous for the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted