Religion and relationships

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
How important is it that the person you are in a relationship with is the same religion as you?

As for me I'm athiest. It makes it very hard to be with anybody, since most people are at least a little religious and I assume most wont even want to bother with me when they find out about it. Which sort of just happened I think. This girl I showed her my myspace and of course it says "athiest" under religion, i hope she doesnt see it and think "oh hell no" and drop me because of it.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
How important is it that the person you are in a relationship with is the same religion as you?

As for me I'm athiest. It makes it very hard to be with anybody, since most people are at least a little religious and I assume most wont even want to bother with me when they find out about it. Which sort of just happened I think. This girl I showed her my myspace and of course it says "athiest" under religion, i hope she doesnt see it and think "oh hell no" and drop me because of it.
I suggest you get religion, then, so you can bang this chick. Another good reason may be that "Lutheran" is easier for some people to spell than "atheist". :tongue:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph with all the other dating problems you have, you had to go and add atheist to the list! You're just a glutton for punishment. :frown1: Have you looked into Hinduism or Buddhism? The few people I've really gotten to know from those religions seem really nice and are rarely single.

correction: is cock worship a religion? if so, I am very, very religious and go to church several times a day.
:rofl: :lmao: :rofl:

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would never consider an atheist or someone who worships Stan Musial
to be hooked up with.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am spiritual not religious. If I meet a person that is religiously devout and is needing me to change my beliefs towards his beliefs...I think that I would have to meet another man that is not needing me to change who I am to fit in his life. And there is nothing worse than a person who is religiously uptight and judgmental too. A man like that I would leave alone in a heartbeat.

zygomatica

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am atheist and can't seem to understand how someone could actually believe in a higher power. So yes, like the OP, I find it extremely difficult to date someone who isn't an atheist. People who say, "Yeah I was raised (such-and-such) but don't (attend worship, etc. anymore), but I still believe in God (or a god of some sort)..." all I can think to myself is that they've never spent much time on the subject and must not be a very introspective, intellectually curious person, and that just scares me.

oldriver

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Religion is very important to me. I am a devoted atheist and I could never imagine myself in a relationship with anyone other than another devoted atheist. I have some christian friends -- they're fine to play golf and drink beer with once in a while -- but I could never see myself with them in any kind of a serious relationship. Stick to your principles!

kingkhan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I am atheist and can't seem to understand how someone could actually believe in a higher power. So yes, like the OP, I find it extremely difficult to date someone who isn't an atheist. People who say, "Yeah I was raised (such-and-such) but don't (attend worship, etc. anymore), but I still believe in God (or a god of some sort)..." all I can think to myself is that they've never spent much time on the subject and must not be a very introspective, intellectually curious person, and that just scares me.

I totally agree with you. As far as a romantic relationship I would find it hard to be with someone who was very religious.On the other hand my best friend is close to being a fundamentalist christian but, and it is fun to argue about religion with him but, that is just a friendship so the dynamic of the relationship is different. I don't think I could have a serious girlfriend who was religious though.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most people put the religion that their parents were or the religion they were raised. 50% of them don't believe in god, but like you they worry what other people will think. To me it is a turn-off if someone can't say what their true belief is. Just put non-religious, then find out when your potential partners believe when you met them.

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
The problem is not that i cant see myself with somebody who believes in god, its vice versa. They can't see themselves with me. I don't really care either way, if i limited myself to athiest girls then there would be almost abso-fuckin-lutey no way i would ever be able to date anybody. That woud be stupid. Its the girl not wanting me because im athiest is the problem.

And i couldnt change myself either. I simply cannot believe in god, and I wont pretend to either just to be with a girl. I'm an extremely honest person, and i rarely if ever lie. Whoda thunk an athiest who cant lie or be dishonest? lolz. But doing that would mean me lying and being dishonest and i cant do that either.

The girl im talking about, she is not super religious, she simply says that she belives in god but does not go to church or anything. It was not a conversation about the subject so i had not revieled that i was athiest. She was talking about her family or something and she said all that stuff. So as of yet i don't know what her reaction will be. If she scrolled down my myspace and saw the part that says "athiest" yet, i dont know. If she did, then good cuz shes still talking to me at the moment lol and has not asked any questions.

Do you think i shoud ask her about it? What she thinks? I really like this girl and we talked about being more than just fuck buddies ya know?

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Seems to me you're trying to find reasons this girl won't like you.

Most people who say they're not religious but they believe in a god haven't thought very deeply on the subject and I don't think it's the most important thing to them whether you're atheist or not, as long as you're not a militant atheist who would try to change their ideas or mock them for their belief.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The problem is not that i cant see myself with somebody who believes in god, its vice versa. They can't see themselves with me. I don't really care either way, if i limited myself to athiest girls then there would be almost abso-fuckin-lutey no way i would ever be able to date anybody. That woud be stupid. Its the girl not wanting me because im athiest is the problem.
Why do you say that? There are plenty of atheist women.
The girl im talking about, she is not super religious, she simply says that she belives in god but does not go to church or anything. It was not a conversation about the subject so i had not revieled that i was athiest. She was talking about her family or something and she said all that stuff. So as of yet i don't know what her reaction will be. If she scrolled down my myspace and saw the part that says "athiest" yet, i dont know. If she did, then good cuz shes still talking to me at the moment lol and has not asked any questions.

Do you think i shoud ask her about it? What she thinks? I really like this girl and we talked about being more than just fuck buddies ya know?
Maybe she is willing to accept you and your beliefs here on earth and just accepts that you will burn in hell for eternity after you pass away.

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
Why do you say that? There are plenty of atheist women.

lol, plenty of athiest women my ass. I'd like to see where you find these girls at.

Maybe she is willing to accept you and your beliefs here on earth and just accepts that you will burn in hell for eternity after you pass away.

lol thats a terrible thing to say!

Anyways, i was just really scared for a bit that she would freak out. I'm a really nice guy, and I tend to make friends easily. But here in texas, I actually hung out with a couple religious friends of mine. They introduced me to other super religious people. After they found out i was athiest they wanted absolutely nothing to do with me and thought i was evil or something.

That just goes to show how texas can be, its shitty as fuck! lol, i hate texas. Anyways, of course i dont hang out with peope who hate me because im athiest but i did try to get with a couple girls over a year ago who would not date me simply because i was and it really sucked.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lol thats a terrible thing to say!

Anyways, i was just really scared for a bit that she would freak out. I'm a really nice guy, and I tend to make friends easily. But here in texas, I actually hung out with a couple religious friends of mine. They introduced me to other super religious people. After they found out i was athiest they wanted absolutely nothing to do with me and thought i was evil or something.

That just goes to show how texas can be, its shitty as fuck! lol, i hate texas. Anyways, of course i dont hang out with peope who hate me because im athiest but i did try to get with a couple girls over a year ago who would not date me simply because i was and it really sucked.
Oh please. There are plenty of atheist that will drop people like there is no tomorrow when they find out that they are religious.

Just like there are religious people who will Bible Thump you when they find out you are an atheist. And just like there are atheist will pull up their holier-than-thou-i'm-smarter-than-you-because-i-don't-believe in god bullshit.

The road goes both ways bud. Remember that. (sorry, I get pissed off when people make such issues a one way street, when that is far from the truth).

As for your original post.... what the hell is your problem? I agree with the poster above that you are trying to find ways for her to not like you. If you like her, then go for it. I am a MySpace fiend but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to fall head over heels over someone just over their MySpace profile. Hell, how many people do you know on MySpace where you can go to their page and go "damn, I know everything about them now." I know of nobody. Furthermore, it sounds like she breezed through your page, not studied it with a microscope so she could write your biography. I'm pretty sure that if you are a nice guy as you have stated, then she will go for you. Face it, humans like attention, especially women. Religion will (more than likely) never be brought up unless it truly is something that bothers you or her IMHO.

In my life I have seen many people give up religion on a heartbeat OR take up religion in a heartbeat for a potential mate. Face it, religion or the lack of religion is pretty much irrelevant anymore. If her not liking you because of your beliefs is that big of an issue then man up, grab your coconuts, and ask her before you get too involved.

If you are truly all tits up on finding an atheist girl or one who doesn't care about you being atheist then go to meetup.com and find a group where atheist gather. I am sure you will find someone there.

And if you are an atheist, don't you think you should know how to spell it?

(Sorry for my tirade. My life sucks ass and last night was a shitty night at work).

B_some1

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I have to agree with a fair portion of the above. It goes both ways. I don't post much but I felt I could shed some light here. I'm Catholic and so are my siblings. My mother is Catholic but my dad isn't religious. Some peoples comments make it seem as if my parents being together is an impossibility. Does my mom wish my dad was religious? Of course. Does he wish we weren't? You bet. But we still love eachother and are a family. In the end we still have respect for eachothers choices which far outweighs the urge to 'prove' ourselves right about the existance of God.

Having parents that are split in belief is not a bad thing either. I had a choice of what I wanted to believe. Now I come to read things like this and I get offended when people take shots at those who are and aren't religious 'cause its either my mom or dad being called an idiot.

It just makes me sad that we live in a world in which people get so worked up over these issues and fail to see the human factor in all of this. Oh and no, none of you are justified in taking shots at an atheist because atheists take shots at religion or vice versa.

So a person loves you, work around that they snore, talk to much and are going to be in church on sunday. But then again I'm used to all this so may be its harder for others, I'm just saying have an open mind about people, don't shut them out over religion right away.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
since most people are at least a little religious and I assume most wont even want to bother with me when they find out about it.

no decision is actually made on my part

there's just a basic feel to a person

without having been told someone is an atheist, I can feel a basic, fundamental aversion and repulsion

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media

I've only ever met one person online who saw my "atheist" status and freaked out (it was on Facebook during a game of Scrabulous, and I assumed she was brainwashed or uneducated). Maybe things are harder in the US, but I'm sure there are tonnes of unbelievers out there.

I wouldn't mind dating someone religious as long as it didn't affect her behaviour. I once dated a girl who asked what religion I was and I told her I was raised Catholic but now I'm atheist. She said "well, you've been baptised so you're Catholic", which pissed me off so much that I spent the next half hour arguing with her about the right to choose your own religion. I think she was one of the brainwashed, rather than the uneducated. Although she was Hungarian, it was hard to tell due to the language and cultural barrier. She was hot though, such a shame.