Religious nuts vs bolts

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Not_Punny, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sixty years go, over half a million people were living in America's mental institutions. A common cause of admission was hearing voices -- frequently, the "voice of God."

It seems to me that people who "hear the voice of God" end up in one of two places....

-- founding religions or forwarding religious movements
    -- being labeled as a nut job, and being locked up

- - - - - - - - - -

So what is the fine line that divides the nuts from the bolts?

2. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

I dont know an answer to that . If that line really exist is very slim. I dont believe in god but i cant dismiss other people experiences with god and gods as being 100% imaginary. Maybe some are right about it and i'm wrong ? Maybe i'm right ? If god really doesnt exist , all those people ( in mental institutions or founding religions ) are crazy. I'm agnostic , i dont think that we have a conclusive evidence as to prove if god or gods really exist or not.

3. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

It's a difficult call in the abstract, but often not so hard in real cases. For instance, the guys who use electric drills to cut holes in their own heads "to let the voices out" - those are easy calls.

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Maybe it just depends on whether they can get some people to believe them before they get put away.

5. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    So then personal charisma would be a factor?

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

Hmmm. George Bush often hears the "Voice of God" and often acts on it but he ended up in the Oval Office.

7. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

8. dong20

Gold Member

No longer, most of them appeared to be in central London yesterday, on the Piccadilly line especially.:rolleyes:

9. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Unbelievers will always argue that religious guys are crazy , specially the fundamentalists ones.

10. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Yes, and being in the right place at the right time. Or vice versa depending on your take on things.

11. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interesting answers.

(And perhaps the oval office is now a home for mentals?)

Another factor could be articulation. And what kinds of promises the people make.

40 virgins later, ten wives now, burning in hell, becoming one, living forever....

12. Osiris

Gold Member

Not just unbelievers, but believers as well. Forget not the tale of St. Joan of Arc. She was burned for her heracy of hearing the voices of God and the saints. Yet hindsight those same faithful called for her beatification.

13. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, well, Dong20 -- maybe they're all waiting for the "circus" to begin?? :biggrin1:

14. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Maybe new "revelations" or religions are accepted by the masses when current religions become outdated . When old religions are not longer revelant to human needs.

15. dong20

Gold Member

Not necessarily crazy, just misguided. Fundementalism isn't evidence of insanity in itself. Questionable perspective perhaps but insanity? When that translates into violence toward others, or themselves is when that line is being crossed.

After all, isn't defining insanity contingent on having a clear definition of normality?

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

If that's an offer, sign me up. :tongue:

17. dong20

Gold Member

Well, the clowns were in charge of my local station, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

18. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I thought you left? Sixty years ago we didn't have the medications we have today to treat schizophrenia, so people who heard any kind of voices were considered mentally ill. They weren't just hearing the voice of God; many were hearing the voice of the devil. When someone says they killed someone because God told them to do it, I'd say most would agree that they are a mentally ill person. But there are also many killers or other people who do bad things and say that the devil told them to do it. If a person hears the voice of God I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing if they're doing something positive with it. Sure there are people like Jim Jones who start crazy cults in the name of God, but they do not represent religion or Christianity as a whole any more than you represent all women or I represent all men.

19. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

I see what you mean but i was talking about fundamentalists guys that use violence to force their believes to anothers. Guys that always act in a extreme way.

20. earllogjam

Gold Member

At a certain point in your life you need to believe in something. These preachers fill that emptiness in many peoples lives. I don't think it's a bad thing for people who desperately need direction, reassurance and acceptance. It gives them a structure to live by and keeps them out of trouble. I believe that these evangles that where touched and inspired by God honestly believe it to be true. I think people do have callings. The problem happens when these same people start believing they are somehow chosen above all others and start decieving themselves consciously or subconsciously by using God as a device for their OWN benefit and doing things in his name. Scary.

Draft saved Draft deleted