Relocating to Baltimore

mj21045

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hello Gang,

I may have an opportunity to relocate to Baltimore and/or the surrounding area. This would be for work. I'm single and currently live in CT. The job would be a very good job...The guy I'd be working for seems to be cool...Now it's just the question "do I want to move to Baltimore?"

If you could, let me know about the area, pros and cons. What about the gay community? Any help folks can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to the great guys on LPSG!

str821

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
In many ways, I think you would find Baltimore like Connecticut. It's a very suburban area, as opposed to having a large metro core for the population of the heavily developed area. The city itself can be very pleasant, but it is uncommonly dangerous. The Northern and Western suburbs are largely upscale and comfortable. In general, there's a lack of public transportation, so you have to drive around the Baltimore area.

D_Boeing Boink

Experimental Member
Media
You would probably want to live in one on the suburbs and not in the City. The northern suburbs are probably the best. Say Owings Mills. There is a metro there that you can take down town. But public transportation is very limited.

mj21045

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks guys! I've heard about the city being dangerous...are we talking "Detroit dangerous" or "New York dangerous"?

Also, being from CT, I'm used to bad to non-existent public transportation. I don't mind driving places. My potential new boss suggested Annapolis (wow! expensive!!!!) or the following areas: Baltimore City - Canton/Fells point/Federal Hill; Baltimore County (just north of the city), Roland Park and Greenspring. South; Crofton East; Severna Park.

The office is located in Columbia. And he suggested Ellicott City...

D_luiyg0214

Account Disabled
Media
I dont think you'd be living in any of the dangerous areas lol.
I dont know much about Baltimore.. only been to the harbor and the airport lol...funny cuz i now live in maryland.
but if you want to go out.. Annapolis or DC... are nice. Dupont Circle (dc) for the gay community is niiice.

LookingCurious

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
If you're interested in history, architecture, and/or urbanism you may like Baltimore.
But I understand that those aren't necessarily reasons to relocate there so.....

AlextheRedhead

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Havng lived in the burbs of DC for some time I would say that the best thing to do is find an area that you dont have to spend a lot of time in your car.
The roads are very heavy with traffic and can wear you down.
The gay areas of DC are a lot more fun than Baltimore but Baltimore can have that funky John Waters (think Divine) vibe to it and that can be a hoot!

Chase1600

Experimental Member
Media
Mikey, I find Baltimore quite charming. It is a particular taste however.

I own a condo in Batimore’s gay neighborhood, Mt. Vernon. I don’t actually live there, but keep the place because I like having access to a gay environment. There are a few nice bars there, a friendly community of gay people; it is a charming and historic environment; there are some good restaurants, art museums, symphony, a couple colleges, and the train station to NY or DC.

I’m presently house sitting near Annapolis and near Severna Park. I’ve followed you gardener thread. Severna Park is quite suburban and upscale [can be very upscale]. My family lived in “the park” after I finished high school and it was my home of sorts while in college and the military. There’s nothing gay about Severna Park, but nice services, upscale shopping, lovely neighborhoods, a terrific bike trail from Annapolis to BWI airport that is really great and about 20 miles. Severna Park sits on the Severn River and is home to sailboating and waterfront estates.

Annapolis can be lovely. It is historic. Along with Santa Fe I think it is the most handsome state capital. It is, of course, home to the Naval Academy, St John’s College, and ostensibly the largest fleet of pleasure boats in the USA.

Commuting to Columbia from either place probably must be done by private car. The reverse commute from Baltimore would be rather easy; Severna Park the closest, and Annapolis only a bit more complicated.

So what about Columbia proper or nearby Ellicott City? If I wanted to avoid as much commute as possible, I’d do it or if I found a place that just suited perfectly.

As a point of reference, I’m retired on the Eastern Shore and am more a San Franciscan than anything. Tell us what you expect and like most and I can answer your questions.

tamuning

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks guys! I've heard about the city being dangerous...are we talking "Detroit dangerous" or "New York dangerous"?

Also, being from CT, I'm used to bad to non-existent public transportation. I don't mind driving places. My potential new boss suggested Annapolis (wow! expensive!!!!) or the following areas: Baltimore City - Canton/Fells point/Federal Hill; Baltimore County (just north of the city), Roland Park and Greenspring. South; Crofton East; Severna Park.

The office is located in Columbia. And he suggested Ellicott City...

Hey how you doing? I have never lived in Balto, but have visited for work and vacation many times. Used to attend regular meetings in Columbia and I wouldn't call that Baltimore exactly. Ellicott City seems to be a real nice area. The other area I am somewhat familiar with is Towson, north of Baltimore City. There is a university there, not sure about transpo, but they have city buses running down York Road at least.

Location-wise Balto is sort of in the middle of it all -- not far to DC, not that far to Philly, lots of water around if you like that sort of thing. Are there areas you wouldn't want to be walking around in? Sure, like every other large city.

My cheap advice -- if you are interested in the job go for it. It's not like you have to put down permanent roots if it turns out it's not your cup of tea, and you just might find you like it. Especially if that job turns out to be the job of your dreams! :wink:

mj21045

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK...it's official. I will be moving to Columbia, Maryland by the end of November. I'm very excited.

What can you tell me about Columbia, Maryland? I've looked it up and it is Money Magazine's number 2 place to live in the US for 2010. Anyone know anything about it's gay community? Anything else you know?

I'm really looking forward to this new adventure. I just hope they don't have another 40 inches of snow like last year!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK...it's official. I will be moving to Columbia, Maryland by the end of November. I'm very excited.

What can you tell me about Columbia, Maryland? I've looked it up and it is Money Magazine's number 2 place to live in the US for 2010. Anyone know anything about it's gay community? Anything else you know?

I'm really looking forward to this new adventure. I just hope they don't have another 40 inches of snow like last year!

Hi Mike,

I grew up in Columbia and it is a planned city that was the brain child of famed developer, James Rouse. It is a great place .

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi Mikey!

Columbia is, indeed, a great place to live. The gay life is lacking, but that's no bother because Baltimore is a very easy 20 min drive away, and DC is a, likewise easy, 35 to 40 minute drive.

Columbia is composed of several "villages," each with it's own central shopping center and elementary school. My favourite is Owen Brown village, which has some properties that front Elkhorn Lake. Elkhorn Lake is an artificial lake on Broken Land Parkway. It's really stunning. And if you like to see buff-bodied shirtless guys running outdoors, you'll want to spend some evenings at Elkhorn!

mj21045

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks Naughty and Joyboy! You've confirmed what I've been reading.

Is it expensive?

And Elkhorn sounds like a great place to start!