Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Indeed. I am ashamed of the nearly zero coverage of Remembrance Day in the US (called Veterans' Day here), other than it being an excuse for store sales. Fortunately I am close enough to Canada to get their TV coverage of their National Act of Remembrance on CBC. There's nothing approaching that on national network television in the US.

There's an awesome song and video about Remembrance Day:
Terry Kelly - A Pittance of Time (Official Version) - YouTube

Tovidious

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
At 11:00 today please take two minutes to remember those who served their country and helped preserve the freedoms we enjoy today. I especially want to salute and remember my late father, Earl, and uncle, Joe, two great men who served their country.

My father died when I was 19 so I never had the opportunity as an adult to discuss his military service with him, but Joe once told me he wanted to serve during WW2 because he wanted to protect his mother and sister. What an honor to have an uncle who felt that way.
To learn more about what was originally called Armistice Day in the US, Canada and the UK, check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day

Last edited:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's a big deal here in Canada, and for that I'm proud. We need to remember not only the older vets, but the families who are facing tomorrow without their loved ones. So many people are still making sacrifices for our countries.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Rememberance day is for me one of the most important days of the year. It brings into focus the good, bad and the ugly of humanity. My respect for those who serve and have sacrificed for us, is very great.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The sad thing is that I always hear about the 'poppy con' every year. Someone making/stealing lots of rememberance poppies and exploiting the good-will of the public for profit. Other than that, it's a good day.

fun21

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The poppy con doesn't have to diminish the meaning of the day, rather it adds to the complexity of things to think about. I feel sad that there are people out there who think stealing poppies is a good idea. Sad, not because they exist, but because they grew out of our collective society. At best we live in a broken world, a world that has terrible wars and crimes against humanity occurring at various scales all the time. We had veterans fight for their families, for the future, and for us. The world we know and love, even with its cracks, is a more beautiful gift than anything we could be given. For the chance to live in such a world I thank all who fought to keep it.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As a former soldier I want to extend my thanks to those who continue to serve and those who will serve in the future. Our current wars have taken the lives of several of my friends and former colleagues.

Hate the war, but support the troops.