Remote Desktop Help!

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So I am wanting to setup my PC for remote desktop.

I sort of have it working...I can access it internally by either the computer name or the private/router IP address (eg 192.x.x.x).

The problem is I can't access it by typing the TRUE IP...which I will need to be able to do to access it from outside.

Anyone know why this is? I have windows firewall setup for Remote Desktop...I've tried disabling windows firewall, disabling my router firewall etc.

FYI the same PC which is the host is the one I am trying to access. So really its only the config of one PC I need to get right...I can connect to this and logon to Remote Desktop with the local IP or the computer name but not the true IP.

I have forwarded ports in my router too btw.

Help me please!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So I am wanting to setup my PC for remote desktop.

I sort of have it working...I can access it internally by either the computer name or the private/router IP address (eg 192.x.x.x).

The problem is I can't access it by typing the TRUE IP...which I will need to be able to do to access it from outside.

Anyone know why this is? I have windows firewall setup for Remote Desktop...I've tried disabling windows firewall, disabling my router firewall etc.

FYI the same PC which is the host is the one I am trying to access. So really its only the config of one PC I need to get right...I can connect to this and logon to Remote Desktop with the local IP or the computer name but not the true IP.

I have forwarded ports in my router too btw.

Help me please!
Depending on your routing table/router setup it's quite possible that you won't be able to access the internal IP of the PC via the external IP of the router from within the local LAN it serves.

Try to remote out to another network and then try to remote back from there. Chances are it's working fine. There are other reasons but that's a common one.

Pdick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You need to set up port forwarding on your router. Your router is using NAT to route stuff on your internal network. Any connection that you don't initiate from inside the network gets dropped when it hits the router. I.e I point my web browser at your public ip, your router gets the packet, sez I dont' know what to do with this, and just drops it.

Port forwarding essentially tells your router, any incoming packets on port <n> will get sent to <x> internal ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.3 or something). I have this exact thing set up on my router for a webserver running on a completely nonstandard port.

Lots of easy hits on google for setting this up if your router manual or internal help is not available.