Remote Desktop Help!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

So I am wanting to setup my PC for remote desktop.

I sort of have it working...I can access it internally by either the computer name or the private/router IP address (eg 192.x.x.x).

The problem is I can't access it by typing the TRUE IP...which I will need to be able to do to access it from outside.

Anyone know why this is? I have windows firewall setup for Remote Desktop...I've tried disabling windows firewall, disabling my router firewall etc.

FYI the same PC which is the host is the one I am trying to access. So really its only the config of one PC I need to get right...I can connect to this and logon to Remote Desktop with the local IP or the computer name but not the true IP.

I have forwarded ports in my router too btw.

Help me please!

2. dong20

Gold Member

Depending on your routing table/router setup it's quite possible that you won't be able to access the internal IP of the PC via the external IP of the router from within the local LAN it serves.

Try to remote out to another network and then try to remote back from there. Chances are it's working fine. There are other reasons but that's a common one.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Okay so how do I access the internal IP from an external source?

I don't have a domain or anything :redface:. And I'm on XP Pro if it helps

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Okay so I have been trying to access it online.

The IP:port/tsweb address does not work

LocalIP:port/tsweb does work however...

Now, I have ran the DynDNS -- Support Tools -- Open Port Tool and the ports required for Remote Desktop are both showing up as OPEN

What the fuck is the problem then?

5. Pdick

Pdick Member

Albums:
    You need to set up port forwarding on your router. Your router is using NAT to route stuff on your internal network. Any connection that you don't initiate from inside the network gets dropped when it hits the router. I.e I point my web browser at your public ip, your router gets the packet, sez I dont' know what to do with this, and just drops it.

Port forwarding essentially tells your router, any incoming packets on port <n> will get sent to <x> internal ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.3 or something). I have this exact thing set up on my router for a webserver running on a completely nonstandard port.

Lots of easy hits on google for setting this up if your router manual or internal help is not available.

6. D_minimum balance

D_minimum balance New Member

3389 is the port that it needs to be forwarded to

Draft saved Draft deleted