Remote Network Help/Guide

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi.

I'm wanting to setup a remote network; basically I want one other remote PC to be able to connect to one 'server' PC and access certain folders.

I did some reading and would he just have to enter the server IP and name into lmhosts and me to do the same on the server/main PC?

I've set up an office network and network printer but this is a bit trickier. I did get the lmhosts thing working but only on the PC's that were already networked.

Thanks.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's tiny bit more involved than that but still simple. You need to share the folder on the server, assign permissions to that share (which may or may not be the same as the permissions on the actual folder) and point the client at it. I'm assuming a windows environment though the principle is the same regardless.

If the folders are several and not simply subfolders of one main one you will need several shares, or use DFS or share the root of the drive(s) on which the reside. This last option is risky.

You don't need to enter the IP in the hosts file if the server and client are on the same network and netbios is running but it doesn't hurt, but only do this if the server has a static IP. You can map the drive directly by using the server IP and share name eg \\192.168.x.x\share. This assumes netbios and file and printer sharing is enable on the server.

If the server and client are on different networks then you will need to use hosts file, DNS or direct IP paths as broadcast traffic may or may not enable browsing, it depends on how the router(s) and switches have been set up.

Is the network a domain or a workgroup, is it a peer (bus) or star topology (the last question makes no difference to file sharing just curious).

The above is a very lazy pen picture as I need to do stuff for a bit but there are thousands of pages on the interweb explaining this in minuscule detail, with pictures.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its a workgroup. There are two PC's on the network that use the same internet connection. The other PC is on a different network/not on any network.

The folder would really only be one folder and its subfolders.

The guide I was reading said to use the true IP address (ie what you find on IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup from my limited knowledge I assume the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.x would only work if theyre already networked and using the same router?

Basically its easy once a PC is on the network but I'm wondering how to add a remote PC to the network in the first place. Therein lies the problem.