Remove cap on H1B visa and Green Card: New York Mayor

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WASHINGTON: Calling for a comprehensive immigration reform that gives more opportunities to high-skilled workers from countries like India , New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has demanded removal of Congressional mandated cap on H-1B visas and Green Cards.

"We must stop telling US companies that they cannot hire the high-skilled workers they need. By making it difficult for them to obtain temporary and permanent visas for high-skilled workers, the federal government is slowing growth and worse, promoting the outsourcing of American jobs," Bloomberg said in his address to the Council on Foreign Relations.

"Make no mistake about it: If companies can't hire the workers they need here, they will move those operations out of the country. You just have to look at Microsoft's recent decision to open a research park in Vancouver," he said.

Arguing that the ability to attract and keep high-skilled labour is essential for US companies competing on the world market, Bloomberg said that's true not only for high-tech companies but also for banks and insurance, pharmaceutical and other companies.

"But right now, the cap on H1-B visas and Green Cards is much too low. And caps on Green Cards are set by countries, so Iceland actually gets the same number of visas as India. That may be fair to those two countries, but it's certainly not fair to American business and to Americans," Bloomberg said.

The New York Mayor said there should be an end to these arbitrary limits and the cap on the high-skilled H1-B visas.
Remove cap on H1B visa and Green Card: New York Mayor - The Economic Times

The New York Mayor must be a ASS HOLE!!! there are alot of high-skilled works here that can not find a job :mad:

thay hire H-1B visas and pay them $10.000 a year and fire the worker that was making $ 40.000 a year :(

Last edited:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live in a seasonal resort town. If it were not for workers who come here under the H-1B visa program, we would NOT have a workforce. They mainly take jobs as retail clerks, housekeepers, and kitchen staff. In the past, many US students would have been applying for those jobs. Us students stopped applying for those jobs about 10 years ago. I have no idea why. But without workers on H-1B visas, this seasonal resort town would not be able to open for business.

Last edited:

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live in a seasonal resort town. If it were not for workers who come here under the H-1B visa program, we would NOT have a workforce. They mainly take jobs as retail clerks, housekeepers, and kitchen staff. In the past, many US students would have been applying for those jobs. Us students stopped applying for those jobs about 10 years ago. I have no idea why. But without workers on H-1B visas, this seasonla resort town would not be able to open for business.

thay can hire H-1B visa worker over a U.S worker that wants the job.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
thay can hire H-1B visa worker over a U.S worker that wants the job.
I guess you didn't read my post. There are no American workers who want these seasonal jobs. For years I ran a Bed and Breakfast and hired young college students in the summer to be the chambermaids and housekeepers. They STOPPED applying for these jobs about a decade ago. Now the only people who apply for these jobs are H-1B visa workers or J4 student visa workers.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The USA is a nation founded on immigration. You should know this. It is the bedrock of your success and competitive advantage.

If you are willing to read a study about the current situation with high-tech workers and entrepreneurship with an open mind, here you go- http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs...vek/Vivek Wadhwa Immigrants and Returnees.pdf

"We documented that one in four engineering and technology companies founded between 1995 and 2005 had an immigrant founder. We found that these companies employed 450,000 workers and generated $52 billion in revenue in 2006. Indian immigrants founded more companies than the next four groups (from U.K., China, Taiwan, and Japan) combined. Furthermore, these companies’ founders were very highly educated in science, technology, math, and engineering related disciplines, with 96% holding bachelor’s degrees and 75% holding master’s or PhD degrees.

Our analysis of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) database showed that foreign nationals residing in the United States were named as inventors or co-inventors in 25.6 percent of international patent applications filed from the United States in 2006. This increased from 7.6 percent in 1998. Indians and Chinese dominated the foreign national group.

To understand why the numbers of foreign nationals filing U.S. global patent applications had increased so dramatically, we researched the immigration backlog. We found that the number of skilled workers waiting for visas is significantly larger than the number that can be admitted to the United States. This imbalance creates the potential for a sizeable reverse brain-drain from the United States to the skilled workers’ home countries.

Our current research shows that the shift of research and innovation to India and China is being aided by the increasing numbers of returnees to these countries from the U.S. When you combine the growing economic opportunities in India and China with the flawed immigration policies of the U.S., you set the stage for a serious competitiveness problem for the U.S."

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sorry, I have to do this... :biggrin1:

WASHINGTON: Calling for a comprehensive immigration reform that gives more opportunities to high-skilled workers from countries like India , New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has demanded removal of Congressional mandated cap on H-1B visas and Green Cards.

"We must stop telling US companies that they cannot hire the high-skilled workers they need. By making it difficult for them to obtain temporary and permanent visas for high-skilled workers, the federal government is slowing growth and worse, promoting the outsourcing of American jobs," Bloomberg said in his address to the Council on Foreign Relations.

"Make no mistake about it: If companies can't hire the workers they need here, they will move those operations out of the country. You just have to look at Microsoft's recent decision to open a research park in Vancouver," he said.

Arguing that the ability to attract and keep high-skilled labour is essential for US companies competing on the world market, Bloomberg said that's true not only for high-tech companies but also for banks and insurance, pharmaceutical and other companies.

"But right now, the cap on H1-B visas and Green Cards is much too low. And caps on Green Cards are set by countries, so Iceland actually gets the same number of visas as India. That may be fair to those two countries, but it's certainly not fair to American business and to Americans," Bloomberg said.

The New York Mayor said there should be an end to these arbitrary limits and the cap on the high-skilled H1-B visas.
Remove cap on H1B visa and Green Card: New York Mayor - The Economic Times

The New York Mayor must be a ASS HOLE!!! there are alot of high-skilled works here that can not find a job :mad:

thay hire H-1B visas and pay them $10.000 a year and fire the worker that was making $ 40.000 a year :(

But seriously, we don't have to look at immigrants and green cards if we want to address the issue of qualified American workers getting fired for cheaper labor. It's happening right now as wages for entry level college jobs continue to drop and older, more qualified workers with experience are being let go so that employers can target younger people to fill the positions. And let's not even talk about all of the recent legislative attacks on Unions. Although we need immigration reform in this country, this is definitely not the reason for doing it.

HUNGinLA

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If I may add my two cents...

Although there are many pros and cons to current US immigration policies, visas like the H-1B (and the harder to get O-1) are the only practical legal route to a green card for a non-American individual in a same-sex relationship with an American, who choose to live their lives in the US.

Being in a same-sex relationship with a European, we would not be able to live together if it was not for these visas. Gay marriage is an great step forward, but this right of relationship-freedom does not apply to, or protect gay couples of one American, and one non-American. Immigration is a federal issue, while gay marriage is a state issue.

I do believe that we need to focus on helping Americans get jobs in America, but if the Governor's proposition helps keep dual-national relationships together indirectly, I'm not going to argue against him. I won't rely on a lottery system to determine whether or not I can be with my partner.

...And that's my grandstanding for the week!

Last edited:

Zayne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When foreign skilled laborers are doing the work that Americans can't, and when foreing unskilled laborers are doing the work that Americans don't want to, then most Americans will have no work to do, and everything will be fine.

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The USA is a nation founded on immigration. You should know this. It is the bedrock of your success and competitive advantage.

Although this was for sure correct in the past, I believe - according to what I am told - the US has more and more transformed into a "European" country from this point of view, where discrimination is very high and business started by foreigners is looked at with suspicion if not torpedoed (well, maybe by US americans of fresh european descent).

D

deleted213967

I guess you didn't read my post. There are no American workers who want these seasonal jobs. For years I ran a Bed and Breakfast and hired young college students in the summer to be the chambermaids and housekeepers. They STOPPED applying for these jobs about a decade ago. Now the only people who apply for these jobs are H-1B visa workers or J4 student visa workers.

IS,

Your predicaments in sourcing US workers for entry-level jobs illustrates the complex nature of unemployment: of course it is a (trailing) indicator of the state of the economy, but we also tend to ignore a much more structural mismatch between the supply of labor and the demand for labor.

However, the H-1B visa program was NEVER intended to fill entry-level positions requiring little-to-no education and a modest skill-set.

That being said, abuses in the H-1B program are not rare. That's why it would likely be a mistake to open the floodgates.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=73566811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

A specialty occupation is an occupation that requires that theoretical and practical application of a specialized body of knowledge. Specialty occupations normally require bachelor’s degree as a minimum requirement. Applicants filling specialty occupation positions will have a bachelor’s degree in the field of the specialty occupation or have a substantial amount of related experience. Generally, most H1B applicants are doctors, engineers, professors, accountants, lawyers, physical therapists, and computer professionals...

LookingCurious

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

If you are willing to read a study about the current situation with high-tech workers and entrepreneurship with an open mind, here you go- http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs...vek/Vivek Wadhwa Immigrants and Returnees.pdf

"We documented that one in four engineering and technology companies founded between 1995 and 2005 had an immigrant founder. We found that these companies employed 450,000 workers and generated $52 billion in revenue in 2006. Indian immigrants founded more companies than the next four groups (from U.K., China, Taiwan, and Japan) combined. Furthermore, these companies’ founders were very highly educated in science, technology, math, and engineering related disciplines, with 96% holding bachelor’s degrees and 75% holding master’s or PhD degrees.

To further add to this:

40 Percent of Fortune 500 Companies Founded by Immigrants or Their Children

A new report from the Partnership for a New American Economy found more than 40 percent of Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants or their children. Eighteen percent (or 90) of the 500 companies had immigrant founders. The children of immigrants started another 114 companies. (A copy of the report can be found here.)

40 Percent of Fortune 500 Companies Founded by Immigrants or Their Children - Stuart Anderson - tk - Forbes