Remove your Lawn Angels, It offends Arabs

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Recently in Troy, MI and in Dearborn people that placed Christmas Lawn ornaments on their lawn had to remove them. Those items would include any Nativity Scene ornaments, angels, baby Jesus, Kings, etc.
    Camels were ok.

The Police had stated that it was infringing on the Arabic public in the area, therefore were deemed disruptive to the community.
    This would include Churches, Residential areas, and Storefront.

We can't call things Christmas ornaments - now theyre Called Holiday Ornaments.

Are there any other areas that are doing the same thing?

If so, we might as well throw out our constitution, as apparently it holds no weight.

I'm catholic, and I respect other peoples religion, and their choice to express and celebrate.
    But how can I possibly be a non-snided person, when other people are trying to Stomp out my freedom of expression on how I celebrate my holy day.

If Standing up for my constitutional rights means me being
    Prejudice, then I guess I'm proud to be a Prejudice American.

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Further Fuel to the Fire:
    President Bush just approved 3000 Arabic people to be admitted to Saginaw Valley State University.

Training has begun of current students on how to Treat and respect these people as they are coming into the community to live.

A Mosk <sp?> is scheduled to be built to accommodate their religious beliefs and a place of worship.

So not only do they get Free Education, they also get untouchable status, Free Housing, AND a Free church.

Yet another Hit to the American student.

3. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

Rediculous? Outrageous?
    Obviously, any good intention can be taken too far.
    I feel that all expressions of celebration should be allowed. It's interesting, educational, and fun to learn about other cultures.

I would like to see the citizens of your community take action to over turn an ordinance that clearly stifles freedom of expression.
    The manger scene may not be my cup of tea. But, I'll defend anyones right to display it.

Have you contacted the people who made this declaration?
    Have the police sited a specific rule of law that is involved here?
    If there is no rule of law, the police have nothing to back up their "opinion".
    If there IS a rule of law, like minded citizens can take steps (petition, contact people in power, recall election) to overturn the law.

We just recently won a case here in San Francisco, where the police warned a shop keeper to remove a piece of art from his store window that they claimed was offensive and claimed that the shop keeper was in violation of some city ordinance (which was proved to be non existant).

Good luck.:)

4. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I'd tell them not to drive in front of my house if I don't like it. Stuff like this pisses me off b/c they are in turn just infringing upon the rights of others to put up religious decorations if they want.

Thank goodness I don't live there.

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Caneadea and TexAssGirl,

Those are my views as well,

Caneadea, I think that's what they were doing down there, is the large Arabic Community was pooling together and saying that it offended them, therefore they wanted it removed.

If they don't like it - they can look the other way.

I'll be damned if I'm going to remove Baby Jesus from his cradle because some import is offended.

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Dig it there, TAG, so do I. Until these idiots own the fucking town where I live, they can kiss my hairy ass before I'd take down any of my lawn ornaments.

Still the USA, folks. Constitution and freedom of expression's a nice thing, ain't it?

7. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmm. Perhaps I am in the minority here but so many of those yard decorations offend me because they are so over-the-top tacky. LOL. And, yes, I do look away whenever possible.

SG

8. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Culturally speaking, I find it odd. The Muslims consider Jesus to be a great prophet, second only to Muhammad. They revere Him, and the Virgin Mary is mentioned by name more often in the Quran than she is in the Christian New Testament, and the story of the Nativity is solemly recorded in that holy book. Christmas offensive to Islam? The doorkeeper to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is a Muslim! Any Muslim who objects is simply using his religion as an excuse to whine. It would be more logical for a Jew to protest.

9. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

10. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

11. madame_zora

Gold Member

That's pretty weird. Why would anyone care about someone's choice of decorations on their own property? I can see keeping display on government property more secular and inclusive, but in your own yard, you should be able to express your feelings about your religion in any way that meets community standards. By this, I only mean that things that are specifically illegal are not being used in the display. If they make that a law, it will be a blow for freedom of speech.

@Speedoguy- I laughed at that one, I've seen some display so tacky and overblown that I actually changed routes to avoid them. Ugh, but still, to each his own.

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It's probably one of those neighborhood associations that restricts lawn ornaments, antennas, flagpoles, etc.

13. mindseye

Gold Member

Yup. This isn't a government imposition (and not "the Police" as Rikter8 claims), but a single sanctimonious homeowner who wrote a complaint to their homeowner's association.

The owner of the lawn in question in fact did not remove the display, and was not fined (in other words, nothing happened, period.)

You know, Rikter8, there are a lot of ways your constitutional rights are being abrogated -- Congress will be voting next week to make portions of the (ahem) 'Patriot act' permanent, for example -- and these are far more worthy of your outrage than this non-incident.

14. D_Cliebert_Chodechoker

The conversation would go like this:

Them: Hey take the Christmas decorations outta your yard they offend me.
    Me: oh yea well SUK MY ASS! Now i offended u.

LOL naw i wouldnt say that bc im a more peaceful person they would just get ignored. Its their right to put up Decorations about Jesus for the holiday bc thats what the holiday is. JESUS' birthday.

15. GoneA

Gold Member

people, in and of themselves, will pine about anything.

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Once while visiting my former boss' house for a work-related BBQ, I noticed that his neighbor had sambo figurines and black lawn jockies in her lawn. My Boss was mortified about it and apologized, saying he had asked them to remove them for offensiveness. While I found the figurines to be offensive, there is really nothing I can do about them because people do have the right to put things like that in their front lawns. Sigh.

17. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

18. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

19. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    Whats the US of A comming too...it's surely not the home of the Free and the Brave anymore.:mad:

20. GoneA

Gold Member

not in an arab community...................:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted