Remove your Lawn Angels, It offends Arabs

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hate the fact that Christmas = circlejerk of tacky lawn ornaments. I'm personally offended by gigantic heaps of eyesores that seem to sprout up in the front yards of suburbia around Christmas time, and I have no religious affiliation. Bravo, I say, to this community. I wish more would follow their lead.

...And can we please cut it out with all this fucking Christmas music?!?!? That doesn't exactly make the experience of being on hold with tech support for 20 minutes more pleasant.

fri2219

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
absinthium said:
...And can we please cut it out with all this fucking Christmas music?!?!? That doesn't exactly make the experience of being on hold with tech support for 20 minutes more pleasant.
It's not just tech support. Roughly 2/3 of the stores I was in this weekend had bad christmas music so loud you couldn't carry on a conversation.

It was annoying enough where I went home in disgust and purchased what I was looking for online.

P.S. I was looking for climbing equipment, no less. I might have expected it in a department store, but in outdoor and exercise gear specialty shops? What the heck?

P.P.S. Bad christmas music- think of someone trying to copy Ray Charles. Now imagine an uptempo arrangement of Little Drummer Boy. Now add in a bunch of horns and saxophones copying the E Street band.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Being a musician, how do you think I feel about the cheesy Christmas music? It grates on my last nerve!

I've been going to physical therapy for the past few weeks, recovering from a car wreck (not my fault, thank God). As I'm trying to do my excercises, they have the worst Christmas music blaring away on the radio <puts on DJ voice> "all Christmas, all the time..." It's so annoying, but I can't escape it.

The worst part is that it's been playing in stores since Halloween.

As to the Christmas decorations, they attack my general since of decorum, and I would never have anything more than a wreath up on my door and maybe some greens up around my doorway, but it's funny to see how far people will go to let their inner tackiness out. Even in nice neighborhoods, it's like Christmas is an excuse to let their inner white-trashiness out. What's up with that?

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rikter8 said:
Recently in Troy, MI and in Dearborn people that placed Christmas Lawn ornaments on their lawn had to remove them. Those items would include any Nativity Scene ornaments, angels, baby Jesus, Kings, etc.
Camels were ok.
I am not defending the complaint.

It is my understanding that in Islam, it is blasphemy to represent a holy person [one mentioned in the Koran]...hence, the exemption of the camel from the complaint. Thus, the complaint has less to do with a display of Christmas by Christains that a display that is offensive to the Muslim traditions.

Others on the site [think DMW and Freddie....and perhaps a practicing Muslim] undoubtedly have a better understanding than I do.

jay

Oh yea, mosques like temples do not have representations of animate beings....think the First Commandment.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If I actually was tacky enough to have that sort of stuff in my yard, and was told to remove it, guess what? Unless my community association regulations ALREADY prohibited it, it would stay. The local law/city council/etc etc would have one hell of a fight on their hands if they tried to tell me what I can and cannot put in my yard. I will abide by the current regulations in place with my community association, but if they tried to change the rules mid-stream, they would have one hell of a fight on their hands. I also agree with the ones who say "if it offends you, don't look at it." All that is moot, though, since the most we are going to put up outside is a strand or two of tactfully arranged white mini-lights in the front shrubs. I don't really much get into the "christmas spirit" (so-called loving and giving is just my nature, I'm like that year-round) but I do compromise a bit, try to make it a sort of "solstice season", and allow my other half to indulge his christmas lust.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
mindseye said:
This isn't a government imposition (and not "the Police" as Rikter8 claims.

That incident was one complaint that made the paper.

Theyre still doing it.
Friends of my parents neighbors whom lived in Dearborn were told by POLICE Yes, men in Uniform, that the lawn ornaments as described were offensive to other individuals, and they were asked to remove them from their lawn.

It doesn't matter who won the court case really - not everyone is courtroom crazy. Somebody somewhere was just trying to pressure others into removing the ornaments.

And Yes...I agree too many damned plastic ornaments on the front lawn IS tacky, and It's not classified as decorating, in my opinion. Its grabbing the junk and throwing it on the lawn.

Decorating our house has been family tradition for YEARS, and for us was fun, and competitive. No, this did not mean the man with the most lights/ornaments won. It meant, if it was a clean, skillfully done job, it deserved Kudos and was the "WOW" of the neighborhood.

Being cheerful and festive on a Major Holiday, does not justify anyone as a Retard. But, I'm sure Jealousy fogs clear judgement.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have lived in a couple of different cities where a certain street is well known for the residents to out do each other with elaborate displays. And, cars are lined up for blocks waiting to drive slowly down the street to view the handywork.

People will also gawk at a car wreck or stand and watch a house burn.

People who disagree with me on any subject are not retards. They're just different. If everybody had the same opinion, this forum would be pretty much non existent................

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just heard this:

There will be no Live Nativity Scene in Washington, DC this year!

The Supreme Court has ruled that there cannot be a Nativity Scene in Washington, DC this Christmas season. This isn't for any religious reason, they simply have not been able to find three wise men and a virgin in the Nation's capital.

There was no problem, however, finding enough asses to fill the stable.

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The thing is, I'm gonna say most Middle Eastern folks living in the US won't complain about Nativity scenes during Christmas (they celebrate it too, though consider Christ a prophet, not the Messiah.)

Our country is just in the habit of doing anything and everything to please the minority. (Minority meaning the three people in the world who actually complain when you say "Merry Christmas"--not "minority" as in racially intended.)

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is all urban (Fox News) myth. The mayor has been on television and the print media has reported, that it is all a load of crap.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
KinkGuy said:
This is all urban (Fox News) myth. The mayor has been on television and the print media has reported, that it is all a load of crap.
KinkGuy, I was in the middle of a righteous rage about the arabs and now you're spoiling it!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
KinkGuy said:
KINKGUY!!! WTF??? Are you insinuating that FoxO'Rielly News Corp is not fair & balanced, well-researched, divinely inspired, hard cold factual news? Damn it all, you have just shattered my entire intelligently-designed universe. You just wait. I'll get you back. I'll write letters to the editors of the New York Post and the Washington Times. I'll out you for the evil devil worshipping terrorist extremist that you are! I'll bet you even want to take the XXX out of Xmas now, don't you?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
KINKGUY!!! WTF??? Are you insinuating that FoxO'Rielly News Corp is not fair & balanced, well-researched, divinely inspired, hard cold factual news? Damn it all, you have just shattered my entire intelligently-designed universe. You just wait. I'll get you back. I'll write letters to the editors of the New York Post and the Washington Times. I'll out you for the evil devil worshipping terrorist extremist that you are! I'll bet you even want to take the XXX out of Xmas now, don't you?

Don't feel bad, DC. I was so engrossed in his avatar I didn't even get to the part about what he wrote.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
DC: No I want to put the XXX IN Christmas. I'm waiting to be "gotten back."
MZ: There's more where that came from. Words, I meant words, MZ!!!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Some day, in the oral lore of America's great past, children will be told of ancient Nativity Scenes in December populated by Abdul, Salome' and baby Achmed.