Removing Odors from a room

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by stopcowcock, Feb 18, 2009.

1. stopcowcock

stopcowcock New Member

Ok so apparently my room smells and I quote, "Musky".

I aim to fix this.

Let me preface this by saying I am very clean, 2 showers a day, do my laundry every week, bedsheets every two weeks, and everything goes in the hamper.

But apparently I have a strong natural odor, which is strange because I do not sweat a lot, and I rarely smell of BO. (My past gfs have verified this by armpit sniff checks, they wouldn't lie)

So to clarify, this is not BO.

It may have to do with the bad air circulation in my room also.

I don't want to just cover it up with chemicals. Here is what I'm planning to do:

Wash everything, bedding/laundry. But I've been doing this.

Leave baking soda in the carpet and then vacuum it up. Any suggestions for how long I should leave it?

I also read that active charcoal can help. Can I just use regular charcoal that i'd use for the BBQ? Or is it something else? Also, whats the best delivery method?

Light some candles.

Any other suggestions would be great. I pride myself on being clean, and I'd like to solve this problem.

Thank you,

Captain Not-Smelly.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

By a bottle of white Vinegar and pour it into small shallow bowls and place one in each room of your house for 8-10 hours. Also you might try cleaning the filters in your heating system.
    Another thing that helps are air freshening lava rock; they have no smell and work for about 4 months. Available in most home stores!

3. Dalt

Dalt Member

Albums:
    I'm fairly similar--I'm a clean person who always has had a clean body, and clean clothes and bedding; however, I have a natural body odor that I detect, but others don't--I've done the pit check, too. I'm also someone who is really in-tune to smells and odors around me. I do get sweaty when I'm hot or playing sports, but I'm not a sweaty pig like one of my best friends. In fact, I recently went to get a haircut when I felt like I was smelly. I apologized to the person (female) who was cutting my hair, and she leaned in and said I smelled fine--so it is definitely in the perception.

When in high school, my bedroom at home, and in college my dorm room, apartment, and bedroom I used at my folks' house in the summers (they had moved, so it was a new room) had an odor that was similar in each. In my rooms, I smelled "me"...my dad smelled it (I smell him)...but my mom didn't smell it.

So I think part of it may be that you're noticing your own body scent that's gotten trapped in your room. Since I've lived on my own for a number of years now and don't keep my bedroom door closed and the blinds/curtains closed, I haven't noticed it at all. The only time I get a slight whif of it is when I may have a full clothes hamper with dirty t-shirts, underwear and socks.

I have a strong sense of smell, so I often notice a "body smell" with some people--usually an oily or earthy smell on guys/men, but occasionally on a female. For most of them, it isn't a bad thing and I'm somewhat "attracted"--like for the guy, he's someone I'd find fun as a friend, or may be interested in sexually--and the same thing for females.

I am in the real estate business, so I am in and out of other people's houses all the time. Even when the house is immaculately clean, I often smell personal scents in bedrooms, bathrooms, and when opening closets--so I know it is a widespread thing.

When I had the smelly bedroom, I did everything you mentioned. I'd also suggest keeping the door open, blinds or curtains open to let in some light, and open the windows some when the weather is nice. Also put odor eaters in your shoes, and something in your closet or under your bed to absorb odors. A ceiling fan can also help stir the air.

Good luck--but don't let it worry you too much...sounds like you're a normal man, and it'll eventually work itself out.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Clean or replace the filters and bags in your vacuum cleaner.

5. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    An air filter, or sprinkle baking soda on the rugs and vacuum it up about a day later.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

Try vacuuming your mattress as well as turning it over when you change bed linens.

If you have a cat. Get rid of it.

7. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you have carpet, shampoo it with enzyme pet odor remover, it is the only thing I have come across that actually works, though it is a little expensive. It can also be used on laundry. Bedding could be washed weekly.

8. gniko21

gniko21 New Member

Possible moisture problem in the house?

9. gniko21

gniko21 New Member

Cats! That goes without saying. :biggrin1:

10. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Shoyeido Japanese incense.

11. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    Am I odd for thinking that that smell is hot?

12. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

Coffee grounds under your bed, in your closet and other inconspicuous places. Change the coffee grounds every week. Nursing homes used to use this before everyone got chemical happy.

13. Smartalk

Gold Member

I had a similar problem which was driving me crazy, everything as you said had a distinctive smell musty. The cause in my case was simply due to using a cheap brand of fabric softner, which when you think about it is carried through out the house on every item we wash. ie the cloths we wear, the sheets on our bed, the towels in the kitchen and bathroom. Cushion covers, curtains, the list is endless. I changed to a better quality brand and the problem gradually disappeared as everthing cycled through the washing machine. I know how paranoid you can become particularly when its an odour that follows you around.

Hope you find a solution soon

14. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Dude, if it's just a moderate musky man-smell, what's the problem?

To some people, that's even an aphrodisiac! I'm gay, but I would imagine that at least some girls like it too.

15. stopcowcock

stopcowcock New Member

Lots of chicks like it, and they can lick it off me if they want.

There is nothing wrong with it, I just don't want to feel like I'm leaving my scent behind wherever I go. I'm not an animal. Well I am sorta, but you get the picture.

#15 stopcowcock, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  16. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Try charcoal brickettes in ziplock bags. Leave them open for awhile. This is used in fishtank filters so the water doesn't smell and they put it in plants w/moldy barkchip or other smells.

17. simcha

Gold Member

Hey! No way! Don't get rid of your cat! :mad:

I have a cat and my home gets musky when it's all closed up during the winter. I use Arm and Hammer Carpet Freshner. You put it on the carpet for about 20 minutes and vacuum. Problem solved.

If you do have a cat and have a small space, like I do. You need good litter. Try this: Cat Country Cat Litter

It'll cost you a bit more than regular litters but it has major advantages over clay litter. First of all, clay litter is very bad for the environment. And this litter is made with wheatgrass. It is formed into pellets. There will be no tracking of litter through your house. Also, wheatgrass sucks in the odor and locks it there. It clumps so it's easy to clean up daily. Also, even though your initial cost is more, it works out in the end because the litter lasts at least twice as long as clay litter. And when you are done, if your State allows it, you can use the used litter as fertilizer in your garden and you can even flush it.

I live in a 1br apartment that is rather small and I completely change the litter only once per week or so. I scoop sometimes in between. This litter eliminates any odor. No one smells my cat's litter box, ever. I've had questions about where I keep his litter box because people don't believe how odorless it is.

Don't even think about getting rid of a dearly loved member of your family, your cat, just because of odor. Keeping cat odor next to nil is a fairly simple trick as I've outlined above.

And, if you have a small space, you can wash your curtains periodically and even wash the blinds in the bathtub with Pinesol periodically. This freshens my place in a hurry.

Keep on top of your dirty laundry. Don't let it sit longer than a week. Dirty laundry can be a real odor generator.

Empty your garbage, especially the kitchen garbage, almost daily if you have a small space that is closed up in the winter. It really helps.

Don't let dishes sit in the sink either. I've found that stagnant water in dishes in the sink is a breeding ground for bad odors if left for more than a day. Keep them washed and you'll have no trouble from this potential source.

And if you don't have time for cleaning or vacuuming I find that Nag Champa incense with an open window or two will temporarily help things.

I also have very natural man smells that my men have really liked. I don't wear deodorant but I do wear some cologne (a very little bit). I also shower every day in the morning and if I go out in the evening I shower again. Even with good body hygiene we men have odors. It's part of our arsenal of attraction. It goes back to our very beginning...

Good luck! :biggrin1:

18. stopcowcock

stopcowcock New Member

Yea no cat.

19. simcha

Gold Member

Then everything else still applies...

20. nay-nay

nay-nay New Member

lol. mine gets like that sometimes (usually when my room's a mess) so i clean it, do my laundry, use some Febreze (gets rid of it temporarily), and open my windows for a bit. it usually does the trick. nothin like the smell of fresh air. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted