Removing Odors from a room

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Coffee grounds under your bed, in your closet and other inconspicuous places. Change the coffee grounds every week. Nursing homes used to use this before everyone got chemical happy.

Dude this really works. I recently moved, and the fridge smelled like old fish no matter how many times I cleaned it. Coffee grounds COMPLETELY resolved the problem.

- - -

But honestly, it sounds like air circulation problems. How can you get air circulation going in that particular place?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Dude this really works. I recently moved, and the fridge smelled like old fish no matter how many times I cleaned it. Coffee grounds COMPLETELY resolved the problem.

- - -

But honestly, it sounds like air circulation problems. How can you get air circulation going in that particular place?
Does that work on cigarette odors?

I recently had house guests and one of them smoked in a guest bedroom in spite of me asking him to take it out on the balcony which is right off the room. Anyhow, I've had the windows in that room open for 3 days and it still stinks.

Do you use fresh or used grounds? How long does it take to work?

Btw.. I can't stand fabric softeners. I don't like the perfumes they use or the greasy residue and chemicals they leave on fabrics. There are increased health risks such as psoriasis, eczema and asthma associated with them as well. Once my housekeeper used softener and I got a horrible migraine from the chemicals. Had to wash the clothes and sheets twice to get rid of the smell. Google it and find out more.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It might sound a bit too basic, but have you tried opening the windows to improve air flow? It's called fresh air for a reason. OK, if you live in a city, it won't be as fresh as country air, but it's probably a lot fresher than the air in the room.

arthur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well seeing as you are obviously hygienically conscious, I would put it down to what we in the UK would call 'damp'? Might be worth checking it out by a professional.

Oh and don't get rid of cat, that's not really humane society friendly. Bad advice!!! Too many unwanted animals around!! Remember what Bob Barker used to say!!!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Our house is a ranch built on an unsealed slab and after a bit of rain can smell a tad bit musty. :mad: I have allergies so most 'carpet fresh' type cleaners are out, as they will give me a migraine. I usually sprinkle a few boxes of baking soda on the carpet before bed and then vacuum it up first thing in the morning. That has yet to fail. As for standard charcoal briquets I would be leery of that and go for the activated charcoal.

If you have a vacuum cleaner with a bag, try putting in a couple of sticks of cinnamon or whole vanilla beans. It will help the room to smell better at least for a few days.

FWIW: Are you one of those guys that has to see how far you can 'shoot'? If so, stop shooting your spunk on the walls and ceiling man! :mad: Even though you wipe it up, it will eventually seep in to the sheet rock hence emitting an aroma that is at it's essence, you. :cool:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does that work on cigarette odors?

I recently had house guests and one of them smoked in a guest bedroom in spite of me asking him to take it out on the balcony which is right off the room. Anyhow, I've had the windows in that room open for 3 days and it still stinks.

Do you use fresh or used grounds? How long does it take to work?

Btw.. I can't stand fabric softeners. I don't like the perfumes they use or the greasy residue and chemicals they leave on fabrics. There are increased health risks such as psoriasis, eczema and asthma associated with them as well. Once my housekeeper used softener and I got a horrible migraine from the chemicals. Had to wash the clothes and sheets twice to get rid of the smell. Google it and find out more.

Yikes! I hate it when that happens. :frown:

You could try coffee -- freshly ground coffee beans that haven't been used to make coffee. I used about half a pound for a fridge, and put a dish of ground beans on every shelf in the fridge and freezer.

Smoke (cigarette or other kinds of smoke) is a bit different, so I don't know how well coffee grounds will work. Smoke leaves as tar-like residue on the walls, ceiling and fabric.

One time, I burnt a pot of tomato sauce and :yikes: the smoke! My brother in law had a heavy-duty air cleaner with ozone (the brand made by Sharper Image) and it worked like magic, and took only a day or two.

So if I were you, I'd borrow, buy or rent an air cleaner and try that. :wink: