Repeal of DODT

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by BIGdkluver, Dec 31, 2010.

1. BIGdkluver

Gold Member

Now that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has been repealed, do you think this will mean that there will be overt gay sexual activity in the military? (I know from personal experience that there often is secret gay activity going on!)

I don't mean that there will be open sucking or fucking among the men, but maybe there could be more off-base hook-ups or something along those lines. If gay service men know that they can't be kicked out for just admitting to be gay, then maybe they will be a little more "out there"
    with their gayness.

OR...is there still some provision in this repeal that says that overt homosexual activity while serving will not be tolerated? In other words, does the new policy mean this: "It's OK now to be gay in the military, but don't get caught doing anything gay or you're OUT!"?

I'd like to know your opinions. Thanks!

2. azladd

azladd Active Member

Albums:
    Any overt sexual activity can fall under conduct regardless of your sexual orientation. I would imagine that an enlistee would first be subject to some type of discipline rather than be kicked out altogether for conduct unbecoming. If two gays are having sex off base and consensual then I wouldnt think they could be thrown out simply for that.

3. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

The law in respect of sexual orientation has often been different from the reality. It may be a while before it has a large impact.

4. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

It doesn't even need to be overt sexual activity to get someone kicked out. General Kevin Byrnes was relieved of command at TRADOC for having a consensual sexual relationship with a woman who was a civilian and did not work for the government. He was legally seperated from his wife but not yet divorced at the time yet he was kicked out of the Army for adultery.

Here is the Article from the New York Times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/politics/11general.html?_r=1

I quess my big question is since gay marriage is not currently legal gay or lesbian service members having sex will obviously not be married to their same sex partner so will they still be able to kick homosexuals out of the military for adulterous behavior even if they are having sex in the privacy of their own homes. Will these witch hunts looking for adulterers in the ranks continue to go on?

I worked on base when General Byrnes was relieved of command and the rumor going around was that the REAL reason that General Byrnes was fired was because he critisized Donald Rumsfeld over the handling of the the Iraq war. This apparently pissed Rumsfeld off so he had the Pentagon investigate the General's sex life and used this regulation to give him the boot and publicly humiliate him at the same time.:rolleyes:

#4 B_jeepguy2, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

Well, seeing as how adultery is considered extramarital sex (having sex with someone other than your spouse while you are still married) it shouldn't have any impact on gays who are together and not legally married having sex with each other in their own homes as they are not cheating on a legally married partner. So the millitary shouldn't be able to go after them in that context.

Now if we were to draw more direct parallels, and say they were in a civil union and separated but the documents not yet lbeen legally dissolved, then it may be a different story.

What would be morbidly interesting is if they are together, consider themselves married (but with no legal ties) and the service member fucks around, if they will kick that service member out for adultery. If they do they may inadvertently end up endorsing gays and lesbian relationships as equal to heterosexual ones; in effect saying that they, the military, have recognized the gay/lesbians relationship as being a marriage regardless of legal standing. Probably not what they anti gay side would want to do, no?:wink::tongue:

6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm still waiting to hear what "DODT" stands for. "Don't Oscillate, Don't Twitch"?

7. sexplease

Gold Member

Albums:
    you cannot legislate desires and sexuality.
    all DADT means is: the military is running out of tools to protect and procure assets for the ruling corporate elite.

8. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nah, it won't change anything. We've had enough trouble with hetero shenanigans that gay shenanigans won't be any worse.

9. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Don't forget that it was called, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue," but the military seems to have generally ignored the last part and the public seems to have forgotten.

Draft saved Draft deleted