Republicans can't make up their minds...

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dude, you gotta post some of the article. Just posting a link is lame.

from the OP's article said:
WASHINGTON — Republicans were for President Barack Obama's requirement that Americans get health insurance before they were against it.

The obligation in the new health care law is a Republican idea that's been around at least two decades. It was once trumpeted as an alternative to Bill and Hillary Clinton's failed health care overhaul in the 1990s. These days, Republicans call it government overreach.

Mitt Romney, weighing another run for the GOP presidential nomination, signed such a requirement into law at the state level as Massachusetts governor in 2006. At the time, Romney defended it as "a personal responsibility principle" and Massachusetts' newest GOP senator, Scott Brown, backed it. Romney now says Obama's plan is a federal takeover that bears little resemblance to what he did as governor and should be repealed.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Grassley, Hatch and Romney are the essence of Republican flip floppers. For something if the GOP leader supports it, against it if Obama favors it. Romney will have a tough time opposing federal mandates for health insurance reform when he is on video record supporting the same thing in a Republican debate from 2 years ago.
The Repugnantcans are so transparently phony and fickle in what they support in recent years it is no wonder so many of them left the party.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
When HCR goes into effect I want the Republicans who use the healthcare system when it come time to pay to politely refuse insurance money and pay out of their own pocket. That will show Obama and the Democrats.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Rachel Maddow Show video Showing Grassley, Hatch, and Romney all supported mandates until the other party decided to put them in the bill nationally.

Republican Iowa Sen. Grassley and Republican Utah Sen. Hatch, co-Sponsored a bill requiring a mandate in 1993.
Andrea Mitchell (MSNBC) asks Grassley, Greta Van Sustern (Fox) asks Hatch. Oh, uhm, we didn't think about the consitutionality of it then. But now since someone else can claim it, it's wrong, just wrong I tell you.

Former Mass. Gov. Republican Mitt Romney (and Presidential candidate) supported and signed an individual mandate into law (2006). Yeah, the federal mandate is unconstitutional but a state-level mandate IS constitutional? WTF?

Let's dip back in history even further and some of our "founding fathers" supported and actually signed mandates into law.
News: Pres. Signs H-Care Insurance Mandate-212 Years Ago! - Paul J. O'Rourke - Open Salon
1798 John Adams was President and signed an individual mandate.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
that was a view they had 15+ years ago...times have change. Can't people change their views after 15 years?

Nobody is saying that they can't change their minds.
Then again, which political party coined the phrase "flip flopper" in an attempt to portray their opponents as being indecisive and not confident? Don't get mad if certain Republicans are now getting a dose of their own medicine.

callmedafonz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Former Mass. Gov. Republican Mitt Romney (and Presidential candidate) supported and signed an individual mandate into law (2006). Yeah, the federal mandate is unconstitutional but a state-level mandate IS constitutional? WTF?

we will see what unfolds...how can you federally mandate something that you can only buy on a state level? I think states should be able to govern themselves how they see fit. I think if it is going to be federally mandated to buy insurance, I should be able to buy it anywhere in the country I want.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
we will see what unfolds...how can you federally mandate something that you can only buy on a state level? I think states should be able to govern themselves how they see fit. I think if it is going to be federally mandated to buy insurance, I should be able to buy it anywhere in the country I want.
Was portability not part of the bill? It was one of the only truly good ideas espoused by the Republican Party in the whole healthcare debate. Oh well, if it wasn't in there, I'm sure they'll pass it soon.