Republicans 'exploit mortgage crisis to disqualify opponents'

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
US elections: Democrats ask court to defend right to vote | World news | The Guardian

Democrats ask court to defend right to vote
Republicans 'exploit mortgage crisis to disqualify opponents'

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington

The Guardian, Wednesday September 17 2008

The Obama campaign yesterday went to court to block what it alleged was an attempt by Republicans in Michigan to stop people who lost their homes in the mortgage crisis from voting in November's election.

The suit, filed in a Michigan court yesterday, is the latest sign of contention over voting procedures. Voting rights activists in several battleground states have reported an aggressive push by Republican elected officials and activists to make it harder to vote.

In Macomb county, Michigan, a swing constituency, Republican officials for the first time tried to use America's housing crisis as a way of striking people off lists, the Obama camp told reporters yesterday. "There is no doubt that there is an immediate threat to the voting rights of citizens in Michigan whose names could appear on a foreclosure list," said Bob Bauer, an Obama lawyer.

The situation came to light last week when the Republican party chairman of Macomb county told a local newspaper he planned to draw on publicly available lists of home foreclosures to bar people from casting their vote.

"We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren't voting from those addresses," the official, James Carabelli, told the Michigan Messenger.

The national Republicans later distanced the party from his comment, but other state party officials confirmed there were plans to deploy an army of poll "challengers" who would check voters' credentials.

The Republicans argue that people who have lost their homes may no longer be resident at the address listed on voter records, and hence are ineligible to vote, and that their efforts are aimed at preventing voting fraud.

Such a claim is dismissed by campaign experts, who say there is minimal fraud in American elections.

Instead, they say the drive in Michigan to deploy poll challengers is intended to reduce turnout in poor areas and among African Americans, disproportionately affected by the housing crisis and thought to be likely Democratic voters.

Voting rights activists say they have already found a much more aggressive attempt by Republicans this election season to try to strike people off voting lists.

"I think that certainly the Republicans seem to be much more out front about how they are going to challenge people's right to vote," said Gerald Hebert, director of the nonpartisan campaign legal centre. "What we are seeing this time around is more of a broad-based effort, and we are also seeing the Republicans being much more assertive and bold in their announcements and not necessarily trying to do it under the radar."

Voting rights activists in Ohio and Missouri have reported attempts to use the housing crisis to try to disqualify voters.

In Michigan, Republican state party officials had planned to mail voters whose names appeared on a list of foreclosed homes obtained from the public records office. The idea was to compile a list of people who had been forced to move homes, but had yet to update their voter registration to their new address.

Republican party workers stationed at polling stations would then challenge such voters when they turned up on election day.

Also in Ohio, the state Republican party filed a law suit seeking to block streamlined new regulations that make it easier for people to cast their ballot by early voting.

In Wisconsin, meanwhile, the state's Republican attorney general has gone to court to try to compel poll workers to match voters' names against driving licence records.

Florida, which has a Republican governor, also moved last week to require poll workers to check voters' names against a government database.

The stated rationale of all these moves is prevention of voter fraud, although organisations which study elections say such fraud is a minimal risk.

The effort received a boost last April when the US supreme court ruled that states were entitled to require voters to present a state-issued photo ID such as a driving licence at the polls.

Civil rights organisations argued that the requirement discriminates against the poor and the elderly, who often do not have driving licences because they cannot afford a car.

More than 20 states now require voters to show ID at the polls, and there have been a series of recent reports about elderly people losing their right to vote.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, the dead have voted, and this homelessness crisis lends itself to voting fraud too. Would it be too much to require a picture id, social security card and/or birth certificate along with the voter registration card ? I don't know what the solution is, but wouldn't it be nice to make those that are guilty of voter fraud lose their citizenship, deport them while making them pay for the airfare or travel arrangements of their banishment for their crimes ? Let them pick their destination of choice and purchase a one way ticket, free to travel abroad and never to return to the USA ?

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yeah I don't want to hear a peep out of Democrats about this because it is clear to me that Republicans are simply responding to the time honored tradition of Democrats to commit voter fraud.

As long as Democrats continue use the race card as an excuse to block free voter ID cards in order to mask their true intentions......

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They'll mail out 200,000 absentee ballots, and 300,000 will come back voting for Obama. This is just politics as usual, but it's normally democrats engaging in it.

If Republicans are actively trying to stop citizens from voting, that's undemocratic, but I think what's going on here is that they're trying to get addresses from people, and people who are foreclosed upon just happen to not have addresses. There's surely some way to vote without one, through IDs or something else.

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
They'll mail out 200,000 absentee ballots, and 300,000 will come back voting for Obama. This is just politics as usual, but it's normally democrats engaging in it.

If Republicans are actively trying to stop citizens from voting, that's undemocratic, but I think what's going on here is that they're trying to get addresses from people, and people who are foreclosed upon just happen to not have addresses. There's surely some way to vote without one, through IDs or something else.

This is clearly vote-caging, and if you don't see that, I don't know what to say.

Funny you should mention absentee ballot voter fraud, by the way....

Last edited:

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is clearly vote-caging, and if you don't see that, I don't know what to say.

Funny you should mention absentee ballot voter fraud, by the way....

I already responded to that in a different thread, but it's not misleading. The problem is that there's a box on there you have to check that says you're allowed to vote (i.e. that you're a citizen, you're over 18, you're not a felon, etc.) Some people weren't checking it. It seems reasonable to me.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I already responded to that in a different thread, but it's not misleading. The problem is that there's a box on there you have to check that says you're allowed to vote (i.e. that you're a citizen, you're over 18, you're not a felon, etc.) Some people weren't checking it. It seems reasonable to me.

From reading the links, it seems there are other things as well, like wrong addresses and other information.

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
From reading the links, it seems there are other things as well, like wrong addresses and other information.

It's vote-caging of a different fashion. You send them to primarily democratic neighborhoods. If you get any response, it's sent to the wrong place and doesn't get counted, and that person goes about thinking they voted.