b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
State aid package: Senate advances state aid package - latimes.com

"The Senate on Wednesday overcame a Republican-led filibuster to advance a $26.1-billion package of state aid that would help keep nearly 140,000 teachers on the job nationwide and continue extra funding for healthcare services to low-income households during the recession."

Governors from nearly every state – including California -- have sought the Medicaid healthcare funds

Even though the bill was fully paid for by cuts elsewhere and closing tax loopholes, Republicans argued that the federal government should not be bailing out the states."

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media

"The Senate on Wednesday overcame a Republican-led filibuster to advance a $26.1-billion package of state aid that would help keep nearly 140,000 teachers on the job nationwide and continue extra funding for healthcare services to low-income households during the recession."

Governors from nearly every state – including California -- have sought the Medicaid healthcare funds

Even though the bill was fully paid for by cuts elsewhere and closing tax loopholes, Republicans argued that the federal government should not be bailing out the states."

get rid of the sanctuary cities and enforce immigration law and you won't need so many teachers.

they'll end up spending it somewhere else. like the 4 million Los Angeles spent on Michael Jacksons funeral parade. or..
Summertime Blues | McCain - Coburn | Wasted Stimulus Money | Mediaite

Keep goin Nobama you're doing great! keep those jobs coming!

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it was about more than teachers:
House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) slammed Pelosi’s decision to call the House back into session, calling the funding a "payoff to union bosses and liberal special interests":
The American people don’t want more Washington ‘stimulus’ spending – especially in the form of a pay-off to union bosses and liberal special interests. This stunning display of tone-deafness comes at the expense of American workers, who will be hit by another job-killing tax hike because Washington Democrats can’t kick their addiction to more government ‘stimulus’ spending. Democrats should be listening to their constituents – who are asking ‘where are the jobs?’ – instead of scampering back to Washington to push through more special interest bailouts and job-killing tax hikes.
As the Wonk Room explained, this bill is deficit neutral, so there is no "tax hike" necessary. But more importantly, does Boehner really consider teachers, firefighters, and police officers "special interests"?

Daily Kos: Boehner: Teachers, cops are "special interests"

B_bxmuscle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Front Page | Institute for New Economic Thinking

Arguing with Republicans about their failed god of self-regulating markets or their demon of "Big Government" is a total waste of time. A more rational debate on pluses and minuses of deficient financing to stimulate economic recovery is being undertaken by new Institute for New Economic Thinking, set up after the crash of 2008 to promote rational public debate on economic policy. Based at Cambridge University in the UK, it includes some of the most prominent economists, public policy theorists and business people in the world. Check it out.

D

deleted15807

The only aid Republicans have ever been interested in is aid packages for the haves from 'regulatory relief' to tort reform to union busting. You name it, the primary goal is to serve the haves and not the have nots.

Last edited by a moderator:

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
If Jesus Christ were to propose a piece of legislation the Republicans would be opposed to it on the grounds there was a black sitting president and party over people.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I will hate to have a job that depends on aid package, you maybe out of a job when the aid ends so save your money be for you loss your job.

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The only aid Republicans have ever been interested in is aid packages for the haves from 'regulatory relief' to tort reform to union busting. You name it, the primary goal is to serve the haves and not the have nots.

You forgot unlimited campaign fund raising from special interests... they like that aid, too. Although it's only my opinion, I suspect that's why Republicans are against campaign financing reform.

D

deleted15807

Just add him to the growing list of hypocrites. It gets longer, and longer, and longer...

HA!! Great link. They can get away with this because the average voter is simply too interested in Lindsay Lohan's jail term or how cool the new iPhone is to care. They are serial liars with the Press being willing enablers less they be labeled the 'liberal media'. I am so sick of hearing newscasters letting politicians get away with flat out lies that go unchallenged.

people should spend money to help the economy and not keep it all in the bank.

It's a Catch-22. People who are afraid of losing their jobs don't want to spend money and well not spending money means more job losses. Also add to the pile people are 'de-leveraging', meaning they are paying debt accumulated during the GO GO years. De-leveraging is a good thing but not when everyone does it at the same time.

U.S. Love Affair With Credit Cards Cools Off

Last edited by a moderator:

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
. . .

It's a Catch-22. People who are afraid of losing their jobs don't want to spend money and well not spending money means more job losses. Also add to the pile people are 'de-leveraging', meaning they are paying debt accumulated during the GO GO years. De-leveraging is a good thing but not when everyone does it at the same time.

U.S. Love Affair With Credit Cards Cools Off

You're right, sargon20. In fact, it's about time people spend within their means. In my opinion, the idea of consumers buying more is silly -- how about banks relax lending guidelines for small business? If you want to raise consumer spending, just put more people back to work... you don't need people to buy more; you need more people buying.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont want the economy to get better. i am tired of working 10 hours a day 6 days a week. if the economy gets worse then maybe they will cut overtime time at work.

D

deleted15807

You're right, sargon20. In fact, it's about time people spend within their means. In my opinion, the idea of consumers buying more is silly -- how about banks relax lending guidelines for small business? If you want to raise consumer spending, just put more people back to work... you don't need people to buy more; you need more people buying.

Fixing the job situation is difficult in as much is it means fixing the 'psychology' of where we are at. As long as consumer sentiment is low how can we begin a sustainable recovery? It seems they feed off each other...bad job market=bad consumer sentiment. It will take a bunch of baby steps perhaps. Washington is pretty much gridlocked so we're on our own.

"Its going to be a long, frustrating, different experience," says David Resler, chief economist at Nomura Securities. "This is not a normal business cycle."

If Private Sector Is Hiring, Why Is Jobs Market So Bad?
America Goes Dark
It's funny I heard someone say we need to run to 'the next bubble' to recover from this bubble bursting. Is that what we've become? A bubble obsessed economy?

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Fixing the job situation is difficult in as much is it means fixing the 'psychology' of where we are at. As long as consumer sentiment is low how can we begin a sustainable recovery? It seems they feed off each other...bad job market=bad consumer sentiment. It will take a bunch of baby steps perhaps. Washington is pretty much gridlocked so we're on our own.
"Its going to be a long, frustrating, different experience," says David Resler, chief economist at Nomura Securities. "This is not a normal business cycle."

If Private Sector Is Hiring, Why Is Jobs Market So Bad?
America Goes Dark
It's funny I heard someone say we need to run to 'the next bubble' to recover from this bubble bursting. Is that what we've become? A bubble obsessed economy?

Absolutely correct... the psychology thing is a tough nut to crack. I heard a variant on the 'next bubble' theory recently and I don't think we've become a 'bubble-obsessed' economy as much as an economy that is most easily defined by its bubbles. Think about it: in the 80s, we had the Japanese asset crisis, in the 90s, the dot-com bubble, in the 00s it was real estate. There's a lot of theories on this, but I think we have way too much of a 'herd' mentality in the US.

You can see the herd mentality in our politics and you can see it in our investment practices... it seems the majority of people will trade in and out of funds based on the last quarter or the last year's performance. There is very little dedication to an investment philosophy. I'm a value investor and I've watched the assets of one of the hedge funds I'm invested in drop by over half during the last five years as people have decided that 'value' plays aren't going to pan out. It's odd. One of my golf buddies has suggested that the 'dumbing-down' of America has created an entire class of people who allow others to think for them and I think there is some merit to that idea: how else do you explain the people who took out real estate loans with no means to pay for them? Or, how do you explain the popularity of some of the more content-free political personalities in the US like Sarah Palin?

But back to my earlier post: I've watched Chase Bank and Wells Fargo ratchet back loan approvals to the point where submissions that would have passed the sniff test in the early 90s (before the dot-com AND real estate crises) are now routinely rejected or come loaded with onerous terms. In my little circle of business acquaintances, the availability of cash (via bank loans) is the one theme that seems to be a constant.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
it was about more than teachers:
House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) slammed Pelosi’s decision to call the House back into session, calling the funding a "payoff to union bosses and liberal special interests":
The American people don’t want more Washington ‘stimulus’ spending – especially in the form of a pay-off to union bosses and liberal special interests. This stunning display of tone-deafness comes at the expense of American workers, who will be hit by another job-killing tax hike because Washington Democrats can’t kick their addiction to more government ‘stimulus’ spending. Democrats should be listening to their constituents – who are asking ‘where are the jobs?’ – instead of scampering back to Washington to push through more special interest bailouts and job-killing tax hikes.
As the Wonk Room explained, this bill is deficit neutral, so there is no "tax hike" necessary. But more importantly, does Boehner really consider teachers, firefighters, and police officers "special interests"?
Daily Kos: Boehner: Teachers, cops are "special interests"

Just a comment about House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH). Now, there's an elected official you have to admire. Since August 1st, 2009 he played 191 rounds of golf (approximately 79 days) when Congress was IN SESSION!. He is the poster child of what is wrong with the Republican Party. And . . . he's never prepared to talk "off script." His speech blunders are beginning to eclipse those of George W.

I've always been proud of being non-partisan, but the more the Republicans do nothing and scream fear from their gopher bunkers, the more I'm inclined to think about becoming a registered Democrat. However, I won't. I'll just continue not to vote for any Republican candidate and avoid the political soliciting. After all, I'm a Nevadan and we have the Sharon Angle problem to squash. It's a bad election year when I vote for a mormon (Harry Reid), because his opposition is so completely uneducated and tea bag tool-ette.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

One of my golf buddies has suggested that the 'dumbing-down' of America has created an entire class of people who allow others to think for them and I think there is some merit to that idea: how else do you explain the people who took out real estate loans with no means to pay for them? Or, how do you explain the popularity of some of the more content-free political personalities in the US like Sarah Palin?

I don't know who didn't see the real estate crash coming? Alan G. saw it coming but he thought it would be a 'soft landing'. How wrong he was. I knew people who took out 'liars loans', you didn't even have to prove income. Just show up to sign the papers.

As for the dumbing down of America I think you can see that in the news media. People apparently want and like opinionated news. They don't want to have to think. And with Palin there is no thinking on either side :eek: Why/how she still gets coverage is proof the something is very wrong in America. What other loser VP candidate has ever gotten coverage two years after the loss?