Repubs can't be free thinkers because of religous right

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah right.

You wacko liberals might want to find another line of bullshit. Was this crap sent out on the liberal nationwide memo recently? I've heard it so many times in the last 2 weeks I can finish peoples sentences for them.

Look, the God Squad doesn't speak for the entire right. If a few people believe that the parting of the Red Sea was magic instead of a drought and landslide....big flipping deal. At least it keeps the God squad out of your perfectly parted liberal hair for an hour on Sundays.

The right is about small government. Yes, Bush fucked that up. It still doesn't change what most of the right stands for regardless of the cookoo liberal spin machine.

Give it a rest.

Garth33

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
dude! If the Liberals got a "nationwide memo" system recently it's NEWS to me! Rush, Hannity - all the right wing douchebags have been receiving "right-wing/talking points" memo's for YEARS from the GOP!! They've ALL BEEN SAYING THE SAME THINGS ON ALL THEIR SHOWS FOR YEARS! If the liberals have finally CAUGHT UP? Good for them....

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Boy. When I read the headline "Repubs can't be free thinkers because of religous right" I thought, "Wow. Starinvestor is starting to challenge his own party! Does he actually have an independent brain? Maybe he's not such a stale, partisan, talking memo, reactionary political cheesy republican hack after all!"....

Ah. But now I see you were merely being ironic!

You're super (almost mindless) political partisanship is left entirely intact my friend. My bad! No challenging the religious right from your corner! Or honestly appraising "Barack the Magic Negro's" political appointments. Maybe you are gunning for your own conservative talk-radio show after Hannity or Medved or Hugh Hewitt?

p.s. I laughed out loud at that "the right is about small government" quip. This is imagined conservative ideology in 2009. It no longer exists. Time to put down the crack pipe starinvester. It is a talking point that is as rancid as milk weeks after the expiration date. Authentic small government is no longer possible in a country in excess of 350,500,000 residents. You'll have to go to Denmark to fulfill your smaller government dreams. (Even John McCain had some schmalzy cockamamie plan for the government to buy up all homeowner mortgage bad debt, so the average american could keep his house. How "small government" is that?) Since there is no such thing as authentic small government anymore, I'll continue to vote for the party that doesn't have the religious right calling the shots & setting the agenda on all the social issues. There should be a clear seperation of church & state.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If a few people believe that the parting of the Red Sea was magic instead of a drought and landslide....big flipping deal. quote]

Actually...Red Sea is an error in translating. It should have been Reed Sea. It was a swamp and with the - indeed - drought, they could just walk through it.

(Just so you know :wink::tongue:)

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
"There will be Satanic forces... We are not... up just against human beings, to beat them in elections. We're going to be coming up against spiritual warfare." Pat Robertson, Road to Victory, 1991

"When we win this revolution in November, you will be doing the Lord's work, and He will richly bless you for it."
Senator James Inhofe, Christian Coalition rally, October, 2002

"It is the responsibility of...every evangelical Christian
...to get serious about re-electing President Bush."
Jerry Falwell, The New York Times, July 16, 2004

"We want to fund programs that save Americans
one soul at a time."
President George W. Bush, January, 2004, in a speech in New Orleans

"You and I can bring the rule and reign
of the cross to America."

Bishop Harry Jackson, pastor of the 2,000-member Hope Christian Church in Bowie, Maryland
Justice Sunday II , August 14, 2005.

"The Republican Party of Texas affirms the United States of America is a Christian Nation ..." State of Texas GOP Platform, 2004
"This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy."
U.S. Representative Christopher Shays, R-CT, (New York Times 3/23/05)

"I believe that we are seeing prophecy unfold so rapidly and dramatically and wonderfully and, without exaggerating, makes me breathless. Every grain of sand between the Dead Sea, the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea belongs to the Jew." When asked if that includes the West Bank and Gaza, his answer was "Every bit of it." ....the late Ed MacAteer, considered to be the godfather of the Religious Right, talking about his expansionist dreams for Israel in a CBS "60 Minutes" interview

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah right.

You wacko liberals might want to find another line of bullshit. Was this crap sent out on the liberal nationwide memo recently? I've heard it so many times in the last 2 weeks I can finish peoples sentences for them.

Look, the God Squad doesn't speak for the entire right. If a few people believe that the parting of the Red Sea was magic instead of a drought and landslide....big flipping deal. At least it keeps the God squad out of your perfectly parted liberal hair for an hour on Sundays.

The right is about small government. Yes, Bush fucked that up. It still doesn't change what most of the right stands for regardless of the cookoo liberal spin machine.

Give it a rest.
It might keep them out of my hair on Sunday but it doesn't keep their "religious ideals" out of my government

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bush used God and terrorism to win the elections.

And the sudden interests and threat of GAY MARRIAGE...talk about timing.
When I heard that shit...I was like :eek: and :mad:. (I thought, "We have JUST lost the election now.") Liberals weren't thinking then. Conservatives took advantage of all of that.

And San Francisco just sold it having footage of gays and lesbians getting married. Even Rosie O' Donnell got married. Republicans and Conservative Demos (including my sister) voted REPUB when that happened. "Oh, no--this has to stop. Vote Bush. :smile:" You ended getting BUSH for another four years.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Star, you know as well as I do that when you lie down with dogs, you'll wake up with fleas.

Or something like that. These quaint expressions are invented for a reason.

Can you say 'Woof'?

Well, admittedly they can be a pain in the ass. But I have a hard time believing how they are hurting anyone with their 'values.' They can't simply impose their will on society, everything still depends on votes.

Most members of the religious right are productive members of society, most have families, work, pay taxes, are actively involved in their communities, etc.

Are some of their views a little silly? Sure. Still, I wouldn't assess them as bad people as a whole. For example, how many bible thumpers are sitting in jail? Shooting people? Selling drugs? Taking guns into nightclubs?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Authentic small government is no longer possible in a country in excess of 350,500,000 residents.

I'm not a believer, particularly, in small government, willtom, but I don't agree with your point.
Of course, a government for over 300 million will necessarily be large in many senses.
But it can be small in terms, say, of the share of the economy that goes to government tax and so forth.
But never mind ... we don't call for small government, so we're largely on the same page.
But your population figure is too high, I think.
I get figures ranging from 301 million to 305 million when I search this.
Just sayin'.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not a believer, particularly, in small government, willtom, but I don't agree with your point.
Of course, a government for over 300 million will necessarily be large in many senses.
But it can be small in terms, say, of the share of the economy that goes to government tax and so forth.
But never mind ... we don't call for small government, so we're largely on the same page.
But your population figure is too high, I think.
I get figures ranging from 301 million to 305 million when I search this.
Just sayin'.

Its all relative. As Rubi says, small gov't has more to do with % of GNP funneling into the Treasury and % of gov't spending relative to GNP.

In absolute terms the gov't will always grow with the population.

But, big, bloated, fat porky chunky blubbery gov't is not good.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
senor rubirosa (2):

Damn. I now see what you're saying. I transposed the "5" & "0" after reading the chart (and I did it again after posting the link!)

I have a mild form of dyslexia that asserts itself at the oddest monents. Apologies.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
senor rubirosa:

I actually googled "current population of the United States" before I posted that figure. Among the links that came up included the U.S. Census Bureau's projected population figure for 1/2/09:
U.S. POPClock Projection

Well, the POPClock Projection gave this figure:

This is what you posted:
Authentic small government is no longer possible in a country in excess of 350,500,000 residents.

I guess you just didn't type the figure in accurately, willtom.

EDIT: Oh. Just saw your last post. Gotcha, willtom.

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Also. One last post here if nobody minds (I feel slightly uncomfortable posting too many times on a single thread)

This thread is about the religious right.

Our official U.S. policy towards Israel has been guided by the Christian Right, specifically by a group of ideologues that refer to themselves as Christian Zionists. Christian Zionists believe that Israel is more than a coutrry in the middle east. Christian Zionists believe that Israel is the location of the ultimate showdown, the final battle between good and evil, the Armageddon, which they believe is prophesized in the Christian Book of Revelation.

To the Christian Zionists who help shape and dictate U.S. foreign policy in Israel, Jesus is supposed to "come again", a second coming referred to as the "Rapture". Israel must be maintained as the "Holy Land" for these folks, a prerequisite for the Second Coming of Jesus.

Christian Zionists are not necessarily concerned with the jewish people per se. They view Israel as a giant staging ground for the End Times and they wish to align U.S. policy towards Israel with Biblical prophesy.

That's why it's important to take religion out of the equation when making U.S. foreign policy decisions.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Also. One last post here if nobody minds (I feel slightly uncomfortable posting too many times on a single thread)

This thread is about the religious right.

Our official U.S. policy towards Israel has been guided by the Christian Right, specifically by a group of ideologues that refer to themselves as Christian Zionists. Christian Zionists believe that Israel is more than a coutrry in the middle east. Christian Zionists believe that Israel is the location of the ultimate showdown, the final battle between good and evil, the Armageddon, which they believe is prophesized in the Christian Book of Revelation.

To the Christian Zionists who help shape and dictate U.S. foreign policy in Israel, Jesus is supposed to "come again", a second coming referred to as the "Rapture". Israel must be maintained as the "Holy Land" for these folks, a prerequisite for the Second Coming of Jesus.

Christian Zionists are not necessarily concerned with the jewish people per se. They view Israel as a giant staging ground for the End Times and they wish to align U.S. policy towards Israel with Biblical prophesy.

That's why it's important to take religion out of the equation when making U.S. foreign policy decisions.

Willtom: do you think that these Zionists are really shaping U.S. foreign policy?

Out of curiousity, what do they think Jesus will do upon his return, a few seminars and a busy press junket?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
"Repubs can't be free thinkers because of religous right"

I think that is true in a way. The religious right, starting in the early seventies and certainly strongly since Reagan, have been at the core of the Republican base. They are a key to the coalition that has kept the Republicans in power. Both in terms of fund raising and as a moral compass.

For the party of conservatism to be able embrace fresh ideas (free thinking), which appeal to the centre, it's going to be very difficult because of the fact the party has been chained to, and dependent upon, the God Squad for 30 years. If the religious right were to splinter off into a third party, the Republicans would be screwed under the present circumstances. That's why McCain had to move to the right to win the nomination. Her attractiveness to the evangelicals was seen as a plus for Mrs. Palin.

Actually, in the long run that could be a good thing for them, perhaps they could reform into a true "conserve"-ative party, honestly reflecting the majority of the American electorate's, basically conservative ideology.

The way things are now, the Republican Party is more radical than the Dems.

I agree that many or most Republicans or right leaning folks aren't radically religious. But they need to get the devil dodgers off the back of government and back in their temples where the founders intended them to stay.