Research Project for a class on Masculinity

tragik_empire

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but I was wondering if I could get your guys' stories and opinions on a topic that I'm doing my final research paper on for my Men and Masculinities class.

Here's my basic topic... Fraternities have these stereotypes and are seen as hypermasculine, women-chasing, and borderline alcoholic elitist societies. So what I want to know is about gay guys in fraternities. How is life in a fraternity different for gay guys? Are there different trials/tasks that they have to go through during "hazing"/recruitment? Also, what are the difficulties that closeted gay men face versus openly gay men in fraternities?

If you guys could help I would be beyond grateful. Thanks so much in advance!

B_bxmuscle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I posted a thread back in November asking "Has Gay Culture Become Anti-Masculine?" I got about 30 replies, ranging from expressions of outrage and indignation to vigorous agreement with my observation that it has indeed evolved in that direction. It just might be useful to your project to look it up. Good luck.

dylz

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
i find it amusing and funny to see obvious gays in frats who nonetheless manage to be closetcases and who cling desperately to their closetedness because being out is supposedly feminine and/or inferior

of course there are more "normal" ones too but they arent as funny

dangly

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think you need to be more specific, tragik_empire: are you studying gay guys in gay fraternities, openly gay guys in regular fraternities, or closeted gay guys in regular fraternities?

tragik_empire

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gay and Closeted guys in "regular" fraternities. I have already looked into the gay fraternities and have that part of the research paper written up. I'm looking for experiences of gay or closeted guys in regular fraternities.

therob: yes. it was a diversity requirement for me.
bxmuscle: thanks.

JetID

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In my experience, they were not ostracized in any way. We all knew they were gay, even if they dated/had sex with girls. If a guy is majoring in "Interior Design" and has a lisp... I don't know, he could go either way ;) In this case, he didn't. Well, not at first.

Mostly, we laughed when they finally came out. They thought no one knew.

"There's no way you were 'focusing on your school work'. You were a fucking PE major."